All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Excellent news!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Expert Class

I have been observing this thread for some time. Here are a few thoughts.

Racing v. Riding- a race is really the only way to put some money in the fund. Simple math. Each class at GMB is, if I remember correctly, $30. Most folks run at least two classes. A ride means one riding fee (usually $20 for all day) and much less for the fund. Do the math.

Splendora v. __________ (anywhere else)- for me, I like the meaning that Splendora has for me and especially for many others. I think this is my 6th GMB. Let Mike make the call.

Liability- Doc, what recent lawsuits are you speaking of? I stay pretty in tune with tracks in Texas and there have not been any big verdicts at a track in many many years here in Texas. Folks tend to say it is a "litigious society" and they have "heard about lawsuit" but I am not so sure that this isnt more the media than anything else.

Texas liability waiver law is pretty good protection (not great) as it applies to adults. Kids (under the age of 18) are where it tends to be a bit weaker, but still better than many states. In fact, under Texas law, your signed waiver generally beats anything but gross negligence (not legal advice here, just an observation). Gross negligence in Texas is very difficult (I have a case pending under this theory).

I have represented many tracks in lawsuits and also consultations for track safety. Nothing you do can prevent a lawsuit and insurance is a good start if it is affordable. Don't think that just having a ride day somehow prevents any of us being involved in a lawsuit. Insurance would be great, but it isn't the cure. Do we have any specifics yet?

LD
Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 PM

I don't necessarily think he is talking about just a verdict. You know how it goes when someone sues...even if it is a frivolous lawsuit just the cost of representation is unbelievably expensive. I think Doc is speaking of the global viewpoint of things.

Last edited by yzernie; 08-08-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
ATM! Pro Class

The BOBS do not put the event together. Howard and Mike does this. We give Mike advice on his thoughts about the GMB fund when asked.
The TT class with Mike Berg and Garretts bike taking the win is Ego's idea alone.(In my opinion the best one yet).
I think I posted in another thread current pics of splendora. Looked good to me. Sounds great that Mike has talked with the track folks.
I hope we all get to attend and support the GMB. But I challenge you to follow Mike around the 1st lap of the TT class.

My thoughts are not always correct..............but most of my friends here know that anyways,lol.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Expert Class

Moto

Doc, Thankyou so much for setting things straight over the GMB for this year.!! You have met me and I have nothing but respect for this site and the reason for it's being. You are all truely family to me and I so wanted to be there this year, but I cannot . I will right now pledge to you and the foundation, $ 1000.00 towards next years insurance cost. This thing is all about freinds and "family" and most importantly GARRETT. And it has to be kept at Splendora, because thats where Garrett loved and gave his all at! Please let me know the info I need to have for the donation. Also I implore all the folks that take this event to heart to help me relieave the Bergs of this responsability for the insurance costs!! Donate!! Nuff said !! Thanks George!!.......Jerry

Last edited by Motodad393; 08-11-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 AM
ATM Contributor!

Jerry, that is an incredible offer for you to make. Youre new to these parts but man, theres no denying that the goodness of your heart made itself known from the first day at MMI. That is an extremely generous offer. Our goal is to have local Houston area establishments contribute either auctionable items or money to defray the costs of running the event, so that individual collections, like yours head straight into the fund. Hopefully that will be the case next year. Thank you my friend, your kindness and generosity will make a difference.

Thank you, I was hoping youd chime in Lawdog-we could def use your knowledge/experience in these matters. The foundation would take a big hit if the GMB is turned into a ride instead of a race, theres no doubt. We would have to come up with things other than just the ride fees to raise money. Also, I have no personal knowledge of any litigation or pending litigation-I was conveying the feelings and concerns of those invloved in planning the event, which are legitimate.

Oh and by the way everyone, Mr Berg went to the track and actually saw the shape it was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
I don't necessarily think he is talking about just a verdict. You know how it goes when someone sues...even if it is a frivolous lawsuit just the cost of representation is unbelievably expensive. I think Doc is speaking of the global viewpoint of things.
Yes, that is where my thoughts were-just wasnt good at getting them down, LOL.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM

HOLY SMOKES Jerry....I commend you for your unbelivably kind offer. MMI is a small example of what GMB really is and once you make the trip to a GMB you'll see first hand what we all talk about.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Expert Class

My focus is here in Texas and from my observations there does not appear to be a glutton of lawsuits regarding tracks around here with regard to tort (negligence) liability. There have been a few that I have been privy to, but they were spectator/track worker driven. There is a problem with noise/nuisance lawsuits and there have been two tracks here that were forced to close on this issue.

As far as nationally, I am not aware of unwarranted lawsuits closing down tracks on any sort of regular basis. If you have different information that is track/racing specific and not general, I am open for additional information.

I think we get a bunch of crap from the media and internet regarding lawsuits that is not accurate.

With regard to the issue at hand (splendora), if we are not going to be in control of the track (greatest risk) and Dee is going to run that, prep it, water it, etc. then why would we need insurance? (not advice, just thinking outloud) My thoughts are that unless we are going to be in control of the track then our risk here may go down a bit. Dee does a great job on the track, so I don't think we really need to mess with that. That said, if we were to get an insurance policy, we would be basically giving Dee free coverage for his part on the highest risk part of the event.

If the insurance folks know that someone else will be in control of the track as far as prep, dozer, fence, security and all the other things that go with running a track then the insurance company may cut us a break on the policy. They go by risk and if we are not responsible for anything except for putting together the classes and maybe a flagger or two, our risk should go down....if you follow me. Basically, I think we should only pay for what we are responsible for and nothing else. If not one from GMB does anything other than simply put together the classes and benefit from the racing....maybe our risk goes down.....just thinking.

LD
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM
ATM Contributor!

Man, that makes things a whole lot better for us-Thanks, again!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I was thinking the same thing. The track must already have liability insurance and so the worst case scenario would be we pay for that 2/365ths of that policy. (2days riding/racing out of 365 days in the year)

Again this is from a very unsavvy guy who hasnít been involved in this so I hope no one takes offence.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
ATM Contributor!

No worries peeps-the insurance issue has been resolved. Lets gert back to smack talkin! LOL
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Expert Class

Moto

Ok Doc, You asked for it. After MMI3 an seeing ya riding with the fairy suit on I would have to blow you over a berm an tear those wings off!!! Whew, after that comment I'm almost glad I can't be there this yr.! LOL,You wanted smak talk!! Love ya Bro!!! ....Jerry
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I CANT WAIT FOR THE GMB! ONLY 16 DAYS WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races