All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Garrett Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Race #4 - My Thoughts....

I continue to read [usually tearfully] all of these posts about how the Garrett Berg “Remembering Those Who Rode” Memorial Race Weekend impacted so many people. I am very humbled and amazed about how the “life and death” of my son has influenced so many people. I am very proud of his legacy and at the same time I wish I did not have to live through it. Life during and after walking through the “valley overshadowed by death” is a journey no parent should ever have to make.

I too have been remembering this past weekend. When the weekend was over and we got home Sunday night – I was exhausted emotionally and physically. I did not unload anything until Monday. If it makes any sense, the memories are bitter-sweet. During the past 160 weeks and 3 days I have met many incredible people and I have become “eternally bound at the heart” with a core group of men, referred to as the “Band of Brothers 393.” The people of ATM have become an extended family of ours and are virtually indescribable. This year I continued to meet those “drawn in” from facets of the “MX-Off /Road” world. The connection is instant. If I were not living it, it would be impossible to believe! Somehow I have survived and learned that “good things can and do” happen from the most painful experience a parent can have those of burying a child. If we can and are able to use our horrific pain to help others – that is good! If we can help others realize what is really important in life – that is good! If you can hug your kids at night, well it simply does not get any better.

This year I saw David and Jerry Preston return after loosing Tabitha. No doubt they are still in pain, but they are moving through the “valley that has no known direction.” I remember watching David win the 1st Place trophy and seeing his Dad smile. It warms my heart. This year I met Doug Cucovatz who chose to attend after loosing his only son last December. Strangely enough, all of us obtain strength from each other, because we know exactly how each other feel.

From Friday night through Sunday seeing and speaking with all the people is an awesome experience for me. Listening to people talk and watching the “eyes of people” reveals much and remains very rewarding. I have had the privilege of watching men open their hearts for the first time. I have seen kids change from watching parents change. I have now seen women experience and feel that which draws their husbands to Splendora. All of this is almost indescribable. Riding beside each of you on the track gives me such a cool feeling inside.

This year I accidentally had a much unexpected experience standing on top of the “infamous triple step-up.” It was the final ATM/TT Moto and I was unable to safely ride due to hip inflammation and being ‘seized up’ in general. For some reason, I took the time to be a ‘flagger.’ Zoohoot [Josh] was with me. Looking over my left shoulder I watched as the ATM Moto left the starting gate. I watched as they jumped and thumped there way around the track. The view of the track was incredible! Watching this gave me a feeling of exhilaration. It was so cool! Then, all of a sudden they were coming toward the triple step-up. It clicked inside me that I knew many of these people, by name, by face and by there numbers. They looked at me nodded there heads, gave the thumbs up, yelled, or just revved up there engine as they past me. Then I saw Garrett’s bike coming at me and I watched as Casey cleared the triple. I was crying and for a brief moment it felt as if I was watching Garrett ride again. It was so cool to see the 393 bike clear the triple! Man was that ever a RUSH for me. The ATM Moto seemed to go in slow motion – it was so exhilarating to watch from the top of the triple. Then I watched the final lap take form as everyone stopped and gathered at the base of the triple, waiting for the “393 bike.” They allow the “393 bike” the honor of leading them up the hill and over the finish line – there are no words to describe how I felt inside!

Last edited by Motodad393; 10-06-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Garrett Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Race - My Thoughts....

Mike,

You are truely a man of inspiration and a model to us all. Your post brought tears to my eyes and made me smile at the same time. I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose my son and walk thru the valley of no direction, but you sir have been blessed with your son's everlasting love for you and our sport, and in the wake of his death he has brought many people from all over the world into your family and heart.

Bless you and yours Mike, and we will see you next year.

Jim
Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Class

Default Re: Garrett Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Race - My Thoughts....

I just did some research and found out that Tabitha Preston died at Durham Plantation or "Durhamtown", which is one of MY favorite places to ride. Another young man by the name of Michael Mixon died there just about a month or so ago. Its such a tradgedy anytime a young person is taken from us. My wife teaches at the local HS where we live, and 2 weeks ago today one of the Junior class girls was killed in an auto accident. She was popular, on the cheerleading squad, and very well liked by everyone. Whenever I hear of such a tradgedy its hard to not to think "What a WASTE!!" and even question WHY God would allow such a thing to happen...

Then you see something like the GMB race. I have never been to one, but just reading the posts and seeing the pictures is enough to see that it is a very special event. The impact of Garretts' and other young people's lives on the rest of us that remain here on earth is just.....amazing. I'm sure it will continue to impact more lives than could ever be counted. That is the "good" that comes out of such a loss.

Keep your head up, Mike Berg. You will be reunited with Garrett one glorious day. Until then just continue to do what you are doing. You and your family are truly an inspiration to us all.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
ATM Contributor!

Mike, as Jim said you are in inspiration to all of us. I think that is especially true for the many fathers here at ATM. We learn so much about valuing our family through you. We learn the real important of riding with our kids and cherishing our time with them. We cannot even begin to understand what you, the Prestons and Mr. Cucovatz have gone through, but you impact our lives tremendously.

Thank you so much Mike for all you do for us.

By the way...it was awesome being on top of the triple with you that day
Old 10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoohoot393
By the way...it was awesome being on top of the triple with you that day
Man Josh, you have got that right..... that was such a RUSH and I am glad you were there. Needless to say, I got a bit excited. That happens sometimes and I am not sure what causes that...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

mike, ive never met you but you are one of the most inspirational people i have ever heard of, i hope next year i can make it to GMBV and meet you along with every one else on atm
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 PM
ATM! Addict

Mike, can't say much that has not already been said. I want to thank you, Suzette and Shannon once again for allowing us to be a part of your family.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM
cha cha

Well said Satch!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 PM
ATM Contributor!

I can't say I've had the honour of meeting you Mike, hopefully someday soon, but your words are tremendous and display how great of a person you are.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Novice Class

Mike/Suzette - first Thank You for the fun evening on Friday - but most importantly Thank You for sharing your life with Mark and now with me. Glad I got to talk some to you on Friday - by sharing your life with all its pain and joys - you have made a tremendous difference in my life. You basically gave me back my son - from your hurt and your love you gave Mark and me a common ground to get back on "track" with each other. Mark grew up at a race track and I love to watch/go to races...a starting point for renewing our relationship. I know Garrett is looking down with pride on his parents and the work being carried on in his name. You and Suzette make a difference every day to someone, and you must know it is appreciated from those of us that see the difference in our lives. Thank you for all your caring on Sunday when Mark was having such a hard time with his injury and not being able to ride with you. I think that was the hardest part for him. God Bless, you and Suzette are in my prayers, like family now.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Expert Class

Well said Gwyn!

Ditto what Satch said!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 AM
ATM! Addict

As always my family would like to thank the Berg family including Bud & Katharine for opening up thier home and hearts on the most difficult weekend of the year for them. Every year they share with new people that ask, many of the details leading up to and about the passing of Garrett. This has to be the hardest thing to do as parent to in essence re-live that horrible time.

If there is a bright side to this, as many of you have read here, they have helped others in the same position. They have been mentors in helping those of us that haven't gone through what they have to look at life in a different way. Many folks say they look at thier time with thier kids totally different after attending a GMB. There is a whole new family for the Bergs that keeps growing. It is also our new family having the Bergs as Patriarch, Matriarch and Princess sister that everybody would love to have.

Thank you Mike, Suzette and Shannon for allowing us into your hearts and home for our family reunion each year.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
ATM Contributor!

Mr. Berg, no matter how many times I read your thoughts and reflections that begin this thread, I can't finish without the salty taste of tears on the corners of my lips. All I can really say is "Thank You" for enduring the emotional upheaval each October as we descend on South Texas for our "reunion"(as Dane said).
I am a better dad and a better man for knowing you. Looking forward to shaking your hand in a few weeks.
David

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races