All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Today Garrett would have been 21.....

Mike,

While we share your pain, we can never understand the level. I pray that you gather some peace knowing the legacy that Garrett left behind is evident in the things that have been created due to his death. His gifts have been many and continue to grow even in the presence of the pain you feel.

We are here for you whenver you are in need.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Mr Berg: I have only now been able to log onto ATM and I saw this post right away. I am so sorry for your pain. Everyone here has said something truly meaningful and I only wish to say that I feel the same as they do. You are an inspiration to all of us as well as Suzette, Shannon, and Garrett. You are in my thoughts almost daily as I am sure Garrett is in your thoughts daily. Be so proud of the fact that he has touched so many lives in this world and he has made such a difference in so many people. I only hope this can help ease some of your pain.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:34 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Hello All,
Thanks so much for your kind and caring comments - I truly appreciate them. This past Saturday [6/24/2006] was simply brutal. I like to think that I am usually fairly resilient at this point in my life. You know, the time frame coming up to his birthday makes one focus on what would have been - it is simply hard to deal with. I did not mean to cause any alarm to anyone - writing is apparently a method for me to vent and deal with the reality.

It is such an awesome thing to see the positive impact that Garrett left on this world in 17 short years. I remain very humbled by it all - I really do, but as his dad, I suspect the pain will always remain. Thank you all for caring and simply being there for my family.

Just imagine what kind of world it would be if ALL CHILDREN outlived there parents!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 PM
ATM! Pro Class

We definately understand that you will always have pain and that is the reason that we are here to support you in your time of need. You have an amazing ability to teach those around you with your choice of words and that is truly amazing. Thank you for your posts Mr. Berg.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Da Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imahoot393
We definately understand that you will always have pain and that is the reason that we are here to support you in your time of need. You have an amazing ability to teach those around you with your choice of words and that is truly amazing. Thank you for your posts Mr. Berg.
I second that.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad393
Just imagine what kind of world it would be if ALL CHILDREN outlived there parents!
Just imagine for one minute, what kind of world it would be if all children were like Garrett & Shannon! It would certainly be a different world.

The pain doesn't subside we know that now but you the parents have to be proud for the impact your children have left and are leaving on this world. In 17 years Garrett left a legacy on us that most people who live long full lives will never even come close to.

I know it doesn't help the pain Mike & Suzette but I,ll say it again,
Imagine what the world would be like if all children were like Garrett & Shannon?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Pro Class

Man, that almost had me in tears, Mike.

I don't know what else to say but,, I'll sure be opening up a cold beer for Garrett tonight...

Cheers Garrett!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
ATM Contributor!

What a great letter. Im going to make it a point to hug and kiss my kids and tell them I love them every night before going to bed. Sometimes we get trapped in the grind of day to day life and we lose sight of whats really important. Thank you for opening my eyes.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Da Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGSin
What a great letter. Im going to make it a point to hug and kiss my kids and tell them I love them every night before going to bed. Sometimes we get trapped in the grind of day to day life and we lose sight of whats really important. Thank you for opening my eyes.
You're a good man and you truely get what a lot of others dont get about the spirit of Garrett. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Semper Fidelis

Unhappy Re: Today Garrett would have been 21.....

Mike,
I'm sorry I am late to reply to this touching letter to Garrett. I cannot begin to put myself in your place or begin to feel the severe pain you and Suzette must bear daily. I look to you as a role model and hug John and Elizabeth every chance I get now. Thanks for being here to guide us and for just being Mike that we love and care for.

Respectfully,
W.H. Barnard, Jr., Q.E.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hard to believe I wrote this four years ago. Seems like just yesterday. Well yesterday was Garrett's 25th birthday. I was travelling on business and had to force myself to "focus" until after the meeting was completed in a successful way. I refused to go there - to that place my mind wanted to go. After the meeting, it did not take long for the "reflecting" to happen. It became difficult to hide the tears!

This is just one of the days that are painful each year. Some years are easier than others. This year was tough on Suzette and as it turned out Shannon. On the 23rd Suzette visited Garrett's grave and she took Maggie with her. Maggie was basically Garrett's dog even though Shannon took to her to dog shows. This is the first time Suzette did this. She said it helped, new flowers and taking Maggie to his grave. Me I did not want to, nor did I go to his grave. It remains painful for me to visit his grave. It ought not be!

I just struggled a bit inside and seeing Suzette and Shannon hurting, well hell it made it worse. The emptiness remains inside. Shannon did not go to class, her mind too kept "going back' and when that happens it is hard to shake. She misses her brother fiercely. I hope she knows how proud Garrett would be of his little sister. She is doing well, but we still need to have that "talk" about the final day. She was there at the track and it haunts her also. It is one of those common experiences we share, yet by and in large have not really spoken about. I think it would help us to both know we are not alone.

It hurts to ponder those things I will never know about what Garrett would have become. I am going to ride hard, far and fast tomorrow!

Hug your kids all and as I have said before "be damn glad you can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad393 View Post
Today….today Garrett would have been 21. I remember his birth like it was yesterday, so vivid and real. I remember Suzette as the labor was long. He was premature by 6 weeks. His beginning in this life was a rough one. What an incredible day this was 21 years ago. Today….today I remember what was and try to deal with what is. It was 197 weeks and 6 days ago that he died. He was my son, my friend, my riding partner and I remain so very proud of him – today I hurt real bad inside.

You see I would have had a beer with him today and told him how proud I am of him and that he had made very good decisions in his life. I would have talked with him about the day he was born and how I felt, how I acted. I would have hugged him at least a couple of times. I would have made him smile and give me that “special look” that only he gave. This is a day that every parent looks forward to, when their kids become an “official adult” – that 21st Birthday. It is almost as if it is a right of passage.

Today…..today I will have that beer with him, but it will be at his grave site. I will cry and tell him how proud I am of him, wishing I had that hug and hopefully I visualize that “special look.” I will tell him about the impact he left in the motocross community and how proud I am of his legacy. I will also tell him that I wish he was still here. Today I remember my son Garrett M. Berg the finest son a man could have asked for.

"Godspeed Garrett - may you rest in eternal peace!"
Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM
ATM Contributor!

Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Berg.

I went bow fishing with my son on Father's Day. I made sure not to share that with a couple of my friends who no longer have their sons. The day was special just because I could see his face and watch his enthusiasm.

I am very sorry you no longer have that opportunity. As for what Garrett would have become...... I believe 100% you would always be extremely proud of him. He was a caring and generous young man. That would not have changed.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thanks David. Tomorrow I will pass the 21,000 mile mark on my 2009 Raider S. The hardest thing about this bike is getting off the darn thing. Gotta Ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfjedi393 View Post
Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Berg.

I went bow fishing with my son on Father's Day. I made sure not to share that with a couple of my friends who no longer have their sons. The day was special just because I could see his face and watch his enthusiasm.

I am very sorry you no longer have that opportunity. As for what Garrett would have become...... I believe 100% you would always be extremely proud of him. He was a caring and generous young man. That would not have changed.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

Mike,
I feel for you, Suzette and Shannon. I'm so very thankful that I had the brief yet awesome pleasure to know Garrett. As you well know, your young man touched many.

Although I wish it was under very different circumstances, I am thankful we have become aquainted and I truly enjoy our chats. I see a lot of disfunctionality in society and it is such a great pleasure to know you and Garrett had such a strong relationship. You are a good man Mike and be confident that Garrett would be proud of you too.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome To ATM

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss of a son who you loved very much. Wish my father felt the same as you do. Never got that. Wish I did. I am so sorry. If you ever need to talk I am her
e.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Intermediate Class

Happy birthday Garrett!

Jason
Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Age is a state of Mind

I cannot even imagine the pain involved with losing a loved one. My thoughts, my prayers, and my best wishes are with you Mr Berg. You and your son are a very powerful reason we are here today.

God Speed Garret Berg, and Happy 25th birthday.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History