All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Semper Fidelis

It still hurts real bad

To all,
I re-read all the original posts at TT and here today while digging up the art work for the Motoman393 decals for Zoo. I found myself crying all over again. It hits home hard everytime I go through my files here or at the two sites.

I want to take time to thank everyone that has made our site a place for families and an honor to Garrett. I feel he would love the way that we share tips and help out each other with rides and parts. Mike and Suzette did a wonderful job of raising Garrett for 17 years. Now God has him watching over us all and keeping us in order some how. Thanks Mike and Suzette for Garrett and Shannon, and to all of you for helping me out in these trying times.

HAPPY EASTER to all!

Regards,
Bill Barnard
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 PM
ATM! Addict

Default Re: It still hurts real bad

Bill,

It continues to amaze me at how Garrett still touches people in the MX community. The Bergs now are a part of our family. Mike even gave me a big hug after I roosted him last Saturday!! Mike knows why we are there and he too is very special to all of us.

We all FEEL the spirit of Motoman393 when we gather at Splendora. When riding that track I like to think "how would Garrett approach this corner or jump". We all do this...and it is to honor a special young man...Garrett Michael Berg.

Bill, I look forward to standing beside you at the GMB IV!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

I had several on-line chats with Garrett while I was trying to get the jetting sorted out on my 01 YZ426. For such a young man his mechanical abilities were well beyond his years. I was saddened by his untimely passing yet grateful to have been blessed by his knowledge and selflessness. What a tremendous person. Godspeed.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro Class

Bill:

I couldn't agree more. Just last tuesday I was sharing with a friend of mine about why I have a "Motoman393" sticker on my target bows. I was not able to get through the explanation behind Garrett with out having my eyes well-up full of tears.

Yes... the impact Garrett "Has & Still Does" have on us is a perfect reflection on who he was and is. It also is a true reflection on who Mike & Suzzett are as well.

Boyd
Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Intermediate Class

I found myself alone while waiting to enter the track at Splendora last week. Poised at the gate before the finish line I was just watching the comraderie between ATM'ers, the little kids and those just out for a good time.

In the corner of my eye I saw a bike headed for Garrett's headstone. It was Mike Berg, #393 on a 450F. It was his personal moment and I did'nt mention it to him at all. I did think to myself I know why he is here but 'why am i here ?'.

Answer came to me as i looked around. It did make me reflect and realize why i was there. I was there to associate with people who were ATM'ers, the little kids and folks out for a good time just like Garrett was. A community of people not so wrapped up in themselves and their own self importance in this world that they would let an opportunity like this pass by. A group of people willing to fly in from far away just to have a chance to experience a fellowship, a comraderie. This group (and its future additions) represents an opportunity to associate with others who have the same perspective on life, fun and people who can relate. Ti was then that Mike pulled up next to me, nodded at me and gave me a thumbs up. Then he began talking to Bazzy whom I had not even recognized. Soon we were all making motions at each other and as I entered the track I felt like i was in the company of people who really cared about each othere. I think we span all economic, social, geographic and racial boundries and we have a group of people who found a common cause and an anchor we can rally around. Garrett lives within all of us and I truely belived at that point that that was the good Mike/Susanne see in all of us.

those of you who have known me for a few years now know that i dont gush this much ever. This is a one time event for this board and it is heart felt.

TexasDirtNap - Chris

p.s. it was great seeing the little Zachy-poo-ette at the track
Old 03-27-2005, 04:56 AM
Semper Fidelis

The first GMB gathering

I still remember the first GMB in December 2002 like it was yesterday. The first visit to the tree where Garrett was killed with Mike was overwhelming for me. We rode there after the first moto of the TT class. Man that is enough for today.

Bill
Old 03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I read this post this morning and again this afternoon. Yes, it still hurts and at time hurts real bad. That is the way it is now, not just for me but for other parents and siblings whom lost a special one.

I just got back from going to his grave. It is cold and windy with sporatic sun shine. I went to put new flowers at the headstone and to reflect. I cried exhaustively for some time. Then there was a painful peace. Yesterday I did something I have wanted to do for a while - ever since Toyota got it right. I bought a 2005 Tacoma 4 door full backseat and traded in my Ford F150. Garrett wanted a Tacoma and part of me has wanted to make that happen - I know it is not logical, or perhaps normal - but now it is a reality. It is a Speedway blue [loud, but shiney Yamaha Blue]. I did not get 4 WD because I do not need it. It has the TRD Sport package. It actually has more leg room for me than the F150 did. I put some Yamaha plate covers on the front and rear. I took it to the grave.

Yeh, it still hurts but I suspect Garrett likes the truck. I cannot hardly wait to put the 393 Bike in the back. It is going to look awesome. I will post some pics in the near future.

Enjoy your families and do not forget to hug them - because you can! I will too! Going to the Gym to work out. BE BLESSED all!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM
ATM Contributor!

TDN, you summed up the reasons we are all so motivated to participate in GMB very well. I am glad that I am able to participate in honoring such a fine young man and his family.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:48 PM
ATM! Pro Class

TDN you have it exactly right. It was great seeing everyone at the planning meeting that was there.

Mr. Berg- Congrats on the truck. I believe that I have heard you talk about this wish before and I am so glad that it finally became a reality. You, Suzette, and Shannon are in my thoughts today.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:05 PM
ATM! Addict

TDN that was very well put. I wish I could have been at the planning meeting/ride. Because I wasn't and reading this post makes me look forward to GMB 2005 even more.

I look forward to taking laps with Zach, FG, B-bike, Satch (if he will slow down enough for me to stay next to him), Macho, Char, and so many more. I look forward to the hugs and the freindship. Most of all I hope DBK can come this year and we can do a lap together that will be all we can do cause he will dust me after that.

I look forward to riding a lap in honor of Joe Meyer who hasn't past but still has had his life turned upside down in a heart beat. I think of him everyday.

See you all in Oct.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History