All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM
ATM! Addict

Smile Remembering Garrett Michael Berg

Today while working in my garage I had some time wrenching on my bikes and doing some thinking. I was thinking about the good times riding with fellow ATM'ers and and remembered what brought us all together. It's not that I forgot, but we all get caught up in the day to day rat race and next thing you know we lose focus on what is really important......family, friends and respect for life.

What I am getting at is I feel it is time for me to stop and reflect on what ATM is all about. As most all of you know this site was created by Tyler Guidice as a tribute to Garrett Berg and to honor him and all that he gave to this world. I am the first one to admit that I have not held up my end very well as of late. I have gotten caught up in the "internet rat race" and have treated ATM like "just another website". For that I am truly ashamed and embarrassed..... sometimes we all have a revelation.

Garrett was always eager to help people with problems they had with their bikes or with riding. It was his passion. That is what ATM is here for....to carry on that tradition. If you have never checked out Garrett's website...you should http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/ you will see he went to great lengths to share information and to help people. Garrett touched so many lives and and he was just 17 years old. I for one never had the honor of meeting Garrett but he has changed my life. This is an awesome thing. There are many more who feel the same way. The Berg family has graciously opened their hearts to so many and we do feel like part of their family. Mike, Suzette and Shannon....thank you.

Having said all of that.....it is time to to honor Garrett by showing off a few incredible pictures! Most of you have seen them all before but they still bring a smile to my face.

Garrett on his YZ426F

Garrett hammin it up (no wonder he and Kirtwell got along so well on Motocross Madness!)

Big Air you say?

Thank you Garrett!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Remembering Garrett Michael Berg

ATM IS one awesome place!!! the members here have help us all thru one thing somehow or another. The biggest project I know of, is Bill Ekholm's ride. there are a lot of folks willing to do so much and never met someone, well that is simply amazing to me!!! the memories of those lost, is what carries us thru some of our day to day activites. and paying back those memories, is just one of the things that does best. everybody goes on as if it were normal, even if the one we remember, isn't here. it is normal to do that. the only way to keep the great feeling, is to do what you, SATCH, have done. stop, remember, and smile on what Garret was, a bright, talented, friendly you man. i only wish i could have met him. i see and read the threads about him all the time. i get a tear from most all of them! it is amazing. the feeling of loss, morning, and all that goes with it, is about the only thing to make you smile time after time. never let go of the sound memories that we carry. after the day is done, that is all we have left. very good thread Satch. very cool to get this out to us all! gives us the chance to reflect on our thoughts.

ROOST THEM CLOUDS Mr. Berg!!! ROOST 'EM GOOD!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Pro Class

Well Said Brent,
Garrett and I actually met on TT, his website at the time was hosted on tripod and ws getting so many hits a day it shut down from band width limitations. We talked on the phone a lot, sent emails, planned on playing Motocross Madness 2 On line. I used to kick Kirtwells butt on Line

Back to Garrett, I asked him some questions on line about my new 2000 and he was more then willing to answer, I was in awe he was 17 and what he knew about bikes and how meticulas he was at detailing the information. I still have the fork tools I built from his instructions.

At the time I hosted my own website and offered to Garrett to move his web site to my server. Garrett was also waiting for his 450 and we joked about him bring this to the first WCTT in Calif, he said we should come to Texas, I laughed and said I need a good Road Run. Funny how things work out, I remember the conversation we had about the road run, I said something in line with be great to have then Texas Pancakes, he said well mom dont make pancakes to well, but he frenc toast is awesome. About 2 months after that final conversation I was at Garretts Table having breakfast with the Bergs. I was humbled then and I am humbled now as to how a young man like Garrett has touched so many lifes and how his passing has created for me a Bond and a Friendship that will last Forever.

Satch, thanks for this rememberance, I am one to owe an appolgy to ATM, I go back to the early days and have not been a nice guy here from time to time. Thanks Satch

Last edited by JohnLorenz; 01-21-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Every time I go back and read about the beginning of ATM and how it has come to be I am once again brought to my knees in humbleness. I can't even begin to describe the feelings that well up when my thoughts drift back over finding ATM, hearing the origin, and wanting to be a part of it. The last year has been rough on my family, and friends. Alot of the ATM regulars have become family in a way I never knew was possible.

I often times get caught up in the forum rat race and have to back away to avoid treating ATM like any other website. I sometimes forget that not everyone here has been impacted the same as I and most of the others here, that patience is most important and it is what Garret would want us to show everyone here.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:24 PM
cha cha

Brent,

Thank you for the reminder. It's really humbling to stop and think about the reason behind ATM.

Mike, Suzette and Shannon...thank you for sharing Garrett with us.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:42 PM
ATM! Pro Class

ive only been on ATM for half a year so i unfortunately never talked to garret and never have any great moments to tell but from what ive witnessed on this site compared to other off road vehicle forums, the site is by far the best!!, every one is really nice here and always willing to help others out, like TRX said, this whole billy ekholm's thing is just awesome, great job guys, im really glad i stumbled on to this site last year because it really has taught me alot about riding and life it self
Old 01-21-2006, 07:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

After reading everyone elses post on this thread.I'm not sure what to say except I am truly proud to be apart off such a great place and a great group of people. I for one am humbled beyond words with all the help that has come from all of you. And that would have not been possible without Garrett.

So with that being said.

THANK YOU GARRETT!! And Thank you ATM!!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Da Bunny

That was great Satch. We all need a reminder now and then about why we are even here. Garrett's purpose in his short life was to help others and even in his absense, he has brought many GREAT people together as well as change lives for the better. He is smiling down on us as he watches the bond between a larger and larger group grow every year.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Intermediate Class

Words fail me, remember 393.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:21 PM
ATM! Pro Class

makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Quote:
Words fail me, remember 393
well said Mr. Rat

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History