All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Pro Class

Default Remembering Garrett

Today on the eve of Garrett's passing, as I came into work my heart was heavy and thoughts were on Mike Berg and family. Did not dawn on me until I truly listened to what my heart was saying to me, and my thoughts came to Remembering Garrett. I began to remember our conversations, how we became friends through a common passion. I remember how he laughed at me when I told him how I get my butt kicked on Motocross Madeness and I especially remember his contribution to helping not just me, but thousands if not 10's of thousands of Yamaha 426 owners.

Garrett has a website that he posted everything he learned about the New 426 MotoMans original Website Through that he touched the lives of many people. It was not long, before that website would get shut down because of bandwidth limits. This is how Garrett and I became friends: I was fortunate enough to help him get his website over to another host that would not shut him down.

I remembered today how because of Garrett, a small group of people became friends forever and created a bond so deep nothng on this earth could shake. This Group became known as the Band Of Brothers. BigMaico, Macho, Florida426, Madcow and a few others struck a bond because of one Person. "Garrett"

This Website is because of that person, it is a Tribute to Garrett from the heart of another man Tyler Guidice. Who is another among the Band of Brothers. He created this virtually with one arm and this is one "Main" reason this site exists.

That first GMB was a moment in time that is still frozen in my memory, I will not make it to this GMB 6 but I never Left GMB I. I remember Macho holding a door shut as Shannon tried to let him in and the look of terror on his face as he looked at a dog as big as he. I remember the first Friday night at the Bergs, with Matt, Chris Bazy and family, Tyler and Wife, Macho, Florida and Family the food and especially the Grace of the Hosts, Mike, Suzette and Shannon Berg.

I remember the Saturday morning ride with Mike to Splendora and the feeling I had as we entered the Grounds of the race track. I remember the first lap, I walked that lap in tears as I spoke to Garrett from the heart words I cannot say to anyone person. I remember the gathering of folks through the day to sit with Mike, silently listening to his story of his Son and weeping with him as we all came to pay respect to Garrett.

I remember how Sunday Morning Felt when Mike allowed me the honor of Riding His Son's 426 for the first GMB. I remember talking to Garrett and asking him for help on the track and watching over us all. I remember that very long walk that Sunday, as everyone readied themsleves for something that would grow, and grow and grow. Had we only known then........

I remember today, Mike, Suzette and Shannon; my prayers and thoughts are with them, as the always are. I am and always will be your friend you all are as much a part pf my life today as you were that solemn day some short years ago. May our Almighty G_d Bless you and keep you as He always has.

Remembering Garrett

Last edited by JohnLorenz; 09-21-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Remembering Garrett

Thank you for the peek into your memory and the reminder of what All Things Moto is all about.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Those are some VERY nice memories, thanks for sharing them!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 AM
ATM Contributor!

Thanks for sharing your heart with us, John!

I feel useless and wish there was something I could do to ease the pain for the Berg's. I can only imagine the feelings they continue to experience.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:49 AM
ATM Contributor!

I have no doubt tomorrow's anniversary weighs heavy on the Bergs. I still say they are incredibly fine people for letting their son's legacy grow as it has. It speaks highly of Garrett in and of itself.
Thank you, John for posting. You're a good man with a big heart.
I sure do hope to see you at another GMB sometime.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
cha cha

John, thank you for sharing that with us. I feel quite honored to have read that. I could feel it with you and I hope to see you again someday.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Very well said. My thoughts and prayers are with the Berg's as always.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Pro Class

Chills. That is what I feel. Chills.

John, as I read your post today I could see through your memories, I could feel through your thoughts, I could hear through your passion those days leading up to and including GMB-I. I know because of your HEART you will be at GMB-6 if only in spirit. You know that I'll have you close to my heart and thoughts while Karen and I are there.

Love and miss you John.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Da Bunny

Great post, John. Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:13 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-bike393 View Post
Chills. That is what I feel. Chills.
Me too. This will be my first GBM experiance and I too feel for the Bergs. God Bless.........
Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

My heart bleeds for you Mike and Suzette and Shannon, as well for all of us who had the pleasure of getting to know Garrett...even if only by e-mail. I feel so blessed that I was able to have the experience of a young man teaching an old dog new tricks when it came to dirt bikes. It is obvious to me where Garrett and Shannon have received their education.

Mike and I have chatted many times about the likenesses between our sons. They were very close in age, in morals and in personalities. While I never had the opportunity to meet Garrett in person, I feel as though I have through my chats with Mike. I believe Garrett is a mirror image of his father and that speaks volumes to me.

I have such admiration for the Bergs as they welcome complete strangers to their home on Friday evening to celebrate Garrett's life. To attend every possible minute of the weekend and to shoulder such a tremendous burdon annually has to be taxing yet they endure with dignity and class.

God Bless you Mike, Suzette and Shannon.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I cannot print any words, but you guys know what I feel. Its the look from the other guy without a word..........and you know.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:20 AM
ATM! Pro Class

John & all - THANKS for the heart felt expressions and well wishes. Yesterday was weird for me. I was surly, irritable and basically ill-tempered. I did not like being around myself if that makes any sense. It was one of those days that I did not like life. This year the 22nd was also Yom Kippur - Day of Atonement the most Holy day of the year. It was hard to focus on those things that I wanted to focus on. Like the past years on this day I simply wanted it over.

During this past week I had those ...... dreams at night from the day he died. G_d I hate those dreams. They remain so damn vivid. You know as this day approaches you try and be "normal" but you know, even subconsciously its coming and that is what makes it so difficult. My experiences that day, the day that changed me forever are horrific. There are time they serve to demotivate me. I also know that they simply must be endured. I refused to go to his grave yesterday - defiance. I may go today, not sure.

THANKS ALL for everything. I am looking very forward to seeing you folks again in a few days. May the Almighty Bless you all as you travel and keep your families safe.

Last edited by Motodad393; 09-23-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Expert Class

Mike, Suzette & Shannon,

I have told you in person I do not know how you endure the GMB weekend. I have great respect for you in being able to do that. I can only imagine how hard yesterday was for you all and my thoughts seemed to wander your way many times throughout the day. Please know I have included Garrett in my Yisker of those to remember.

Debbie
Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM
ATM Contributor!

In light of the completion of GMB VI last weekend, I just wanted to bump this one.
Whatever our reason for being a member of this site, whatever our skill level on a dirt bike, whatever our ability to empathize with others, we must all acknowledge that the passing of Garrett Michael Berg had a major impact on the dirt biking community and his legacy is right here on these pages each and every day.
This is why the mods and admin of this site diligently strive to keep the site clean and family oriented. This isn't a site to bash others or boast about your own knowledge. It is simply a site to share and learn. We all have something to offer. We all can learn from others. And we all can honor those who have gone on before us.
If you get a PM from one of the mods about something being edited, or even if you get an infraction, don't take it personal. Just accept it and learn from it. Each and every member is welcome here until they prove that they "just don't get it". We are a big family and we are growing rapidly. I like to see that. I would much prefer that this site didn't even exist and Garrett were still
physically with Mike, Suzette, and Shannon. However, we are not in control of life and reality. One far beyond us takes care of that.
Thanks, John for this excellent thread on the anniversary of Garrett's passing.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History