All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default "Me and Family 393"

“Me and Family 393”
In the darkest days imaginable there was a group of men that I had never met; that after learning of Garrett’s death and unbeknownst to me, they began to correspond with each other. These men had never met either. Finally, within the first week these men contacted me one by one. None of us had ever met, or spoken before Garrett was killed. We talked and at times sat speechless holding the phone and all that was heard was the sobbing sounds of men that had never met. All of us were numb. I found it simply amazing and very humbling how men who never met could be “numbed” by the death of another mans son. In some ways it seemed as if they had lost their son too. In my personal moments of the “deepest darkness” these men would be there for me! Out of nowhere one of them would call me. At the time, little did I know or realize that from “them” I would gather strength in a time of total devastation. Most of these men met for the first time at GMB 1. This group of men has since become referred to as the “Band of Brothers 393.” The “connection of the hearts” between these men is simply a “G_d thing.” It is my belief that what G_d has lead – let no man interfere!

Having said this, I have come to realize that as time has gone on many people have become attached to the “Legacy [Story] of Garrett M. Berg – Motoman393.” I remain very honored, humbled and dumbfounded as to how all this happened and that Garrett continues to “touch” many people. It simply blows me away. The lives of many have been impacted and in some cases the focus of there lives have been forever changed. This is good and it in itself is also a “G_d thing.” It continues to grow and is truly one large loving family that is like no other group of people that I have ever met. It has become and is now known as “Me and Family 393.”

Please use this post to “tell your story” about how you became part of the "Greatest Family in the World" – tell us about “Me and Family 393"

Last edited by Motodad393; 01-25-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Default Re: "Me and Family 393"

It all started when I could not get my YZ426 jetted properly. I found Thumpertalk and ultimately e-mailed Garrett many times about the BK mod and other little things. Because I can be technically challanged at times, I visited his web site often. Garrett was able to help me get my 426 jetted correctly, the BK mod done and had my 426 running like a champ. Garrett was always quick to answer my e-mails and was as polite a young man as I have ever spoken with.

I found ATM while doing another search for info on my YZ250. I have met several of the membership here and we have even gotten together at Mesquite, Nevada a few times not only to share friendships but to remember and honor Garrett. Though some of us may never make it to Texas for GMB the "Family" will continue to grow.

Because of a difficult work schedule I have yet to be able to make it to a GMB gathering. I am hoping this is the year. I would truly enjoy meeting the father (and family) who taught that young man how to be so polite, how to successfully communicate with such dunce like me and how to truly appreciate and share everything he had in his life.

Even if it was for just a short time, you were blessed by the BIG man to have Garrett in your life for as long as you did. God bless you and your family.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Semper Fidelis

Re: "Me and Family 393"

This is hard to do, but here goes. I joined TT after I got my 426 in May 2002. I was immediately drawn to the posts by the guy called Motoman393. I am an engineer and was noticing how well his posts sounded out engineering principals on flow dynamics and fluid circuits on suspension and jetting. I figured this was an experienced engineer and was probably my age (45 at the time.) I enjoyed his replies and noticed how polite and sharing he was.

I came home the Sunday Garret was killed and logged in to TT. The first thing I see is a post from a guy named Bazzy saying Motoman393 was killed this afternoon. I sat there stunned for around 10 minutes as I read and reread the post and first dozen or so repiles. I finally replied when I got my composure. I showed John the thread and we both sat there starring at the computer. I read the replies for around 3 hours and in the morning whenI got to work. After a while I took a gamble and sent a P.M. to a guy going by E.G.O.***hole ( I am not making that one up either) on TT. I had never had the nerve to do this to a complete stranger. John Lorenz replied quickly and we chatted back and forth for a while by P.M.

I had posted Sunday night that a Motoman393 decal would be a good way to honor Garrett. Leah Bazzy sent me a P.M. teling me to please do this. A member form atlanta, GA P.M.ed me with a design for a decal in 2 color schemes, he was MGR8 and after I got the original shipment he made I never could find him again. No listing for a Motographix in the Atlanta phone book either.

Ego P.M.ed me saying he had called Mike Berg and I should do the same. It took a day to work up the nerve. I called and we talked for around 1 hour. I felt overwhelmed by his sincerity and the grief I felt in his voice.

We talked weekly after that until he told me that a guy called Big Maico and someone named Gary (IB62) were putting together a memorial race in December of 2002. I was distributing the decals around the world, literally. TT members in various locations got a bulk batch from me and took mail orders for the decals. I got involved in this and Monica, John and I drove to Houston the Friday after Thanksgiving, 2002.

I have never traveled a distance to meet people I had never seen but we got to Houston and met Motosis and Macho at the Berg's house. That night we talked in the garage until 2:30 A.M. It was so incredible to be with Tyler, Mike, Macho, Matt, Madcow (John, my son), Ego, the Bazzy's and Jaybird that night.

We practiced on Saturday and then returned to the Berg's for dinner, bike maintenance and bench racing until 1:30 A.M. The race day was very cold in the early A.M. After watching Mike take a lap for Garrett with all of us lining the front straight we were all in tears. Monica and I just hugged each other and cried. After the first TT moto I ride with Mike to the tree where Garrett was kikked. We sat and held on to each other for a long while. More of the same grief after Moto 2 and more bonding there. Go to TT and look at the pictures, I can't talk about that anymore, sorry.

ATM was formed in Dec 2002 by Tyler and the original riders were the first members as well as Keetoman and jiakaike and several others. We worked at the site for several months and slowly gained members. tyler had a lot of work comittments and a baby due so he turned the site over to Woody and Josh after around a year and 1/2, I think. I have formed a bond with the members here that I can never forget, ever.

The members have seen me through 7 more surgeries since the site was formed (3 back and 4 abdominal), even had Big Maico come here for a week to help Monica while I had the 2 level fusion surgery, on his dime. Thanks to every one in my Motoman393 family for all the prayers, thoughts and actions that make this place great. Sorry that is all I can handle emotionally for tonight. God Bless all of you, Thanks to Mike, Suzette and Shannon for allowing us to share Garrett's spirit and his family. I love everyone of you.

Bill

Last edited by Florida 393; 03-09-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I know that I have never met with or spoke with most all of the memebrs here that are a big part in the ATM world, I can't even imagine what it would be like without it and all of those here. Some things that happen here are just beyond me in ways most wouldn't dream of without seeing it for themselves. The help that comes from here is amazing. My wife is always asking what I am doing on here all the time. She never really could put her finger on it and I couldn't explain it right. Along cam the issue with Bill (EK) and little Cody. There are more then that but these two jump out at me. I let her, no, had her sit down and read what went on here. She was in awe at it all. Now all I here is how is it all going. She is always wanting me to get on and see if there are any improvements with Cody and what else is new. So now she is hooked same as me. I never really understood what caring for someone and helping (besides close family and friends) ment. Then I do a search for ATV forums, and here I sit. The members here do so much for someone they don't even know, never met, never talked to, it is a truly whole hearted effort by all those who participate. There are so many more members out there and they don't even know it yet. They don't know how much just a prayer, thoughts, help on getting parts to ride a tribute race for their father and meeting lost family again, or helping out so much for a sick child, can accually do! I am one of those people that never thought this would go as far as it did with me. Before I never really cared about to much that I couldn't help myself with. Now everything is differnent. I want to help so much, but times are tight right now. Even though I can't contribute as much as I would like, I know in my heart that the presence of my hope is enough for some. One day my hope is to make it to a GMB. It may be a while from now, but I'll be there! So that is how I have become the way I am due to the influence from here, and the stories I have heard about Garrett. Sometimes what we see, helps more then we know.

SPECIAL THANKS TO ATM AND MOTOMAN393!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:17 PM
ATM Contributor!

This one takes some thought, introspection, and reflection.
I haven't been here nearly as long as many of the other mods. When I first heard about Garrett, I was taking a full course of classes at Oklahoma University and had very little extra time. m2g4b and Kirtwell wanted me to make GMB III with them but I just didn't have the time. However, I found time to lurk a little bit and I kept up with things on the site now and then. Several little things intrigued me and I knew that I would check this out further after I graduated and had a little more freedom on my hands. But well before my graduation, I checked out Mr. Berg's "Mourning Reflections" on Thumper Talk. I was moved to tears and was compelled to PM the author of these heart-felt reflections. I was quite impressed that he would lay it all out on the "world-wide-web" for all to critique. Nothing could be more genuine and nothing could be more moving than his personal feelings about the loss of such a wonderful son. I think one of the reasons it touched me so deeply is because I am raising my own son by myself. Our bond is very tight. Mr. Berg's letters helped me realize just how fragile and precious that bond is. I don't remember my PM to him but it was fairly short and to the point. He responded the very next day with the same genuine candor that I had read in his letters on Thumper Talk. A few PM's later and I felt as though I knew his heart. The way Mr. Berg has handled his personal loss has profoundly impacted a huge group of individuals. That would be us.
I can't really express how honored I am to be included in this family. And I can't really express the respect I have for the Band of Brothers. All I can really express for certain is that I have a greater appreciation for life, for fatherhood, and for friendship since I have become a member of the Family 393. Thank you Mike, Suzette, and Shannon.
I love motocross and I love racing. I surf several sites to keep up with the latest news. But ATM is, by far, my favorite site and the one I check out first everytime I log on. This is a great family.
Godspeed, Garrett Michael Berg.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Well its been life changing for me. As for being one of the Band of Brothers I know of what Mike speaks of. These guys can do nothing that will sway me from the bond I have for and with them. I'm not the type of guy who lets people in my life. So for me this opened doors to which I haven't opened since I was a kid and had a pure heart. You know what I mean.....when your a kid most if not all your actions are pure. By becoming close to strangers and making them family I have found good in man kind again. At one time in my life(less than 4 years ago) I had no mercy for others I did not know. Mike's letter touch my heart and turned me into becoming a caring person towards others more than others see. Actions done good for others without payment is my motto these days. I do this from a bond I hope to never experence again, but yet I still cherish.

FYI Just to let you guys know Tman(my name for Tyler)started this site because he felt a love that he didn't want to break between the Bond he felt between us(The BOB's) during that time. We"The Band of Brothers" had many a conference calls to lay out a site to which family could be apart of. The GMB FORUM WAS AND IS THE FORMAT to which we set the goal. What is so special is Tyler is in noway a person who shares what he is feeling. Turned out pretty good huh?I often wonder why the one guy who broke his shoulder was the same guy who had the skills to start this site....makes you think alittle about Gods plan doesn't it.............................as Im told I will end this as Garrett would

LATER!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Pro Class

How I beame part of the family hmmm. I was doing a general search over dirtbikes one evening around 8 pm after having just purchased my 97 KX125 and wanting to learn more about dirtbikes to put that with my knowledge of quads that at that time was more limited than i realized. I hit about three sites before hitting this one, i read a few posts that were picked up in the search. After reading a couple posts that I felt were really helpfull in learning more about bikes I decided to hit the forums buttom in search of more information. Somewhere after hitting the forums button I ended up in Mr. Bergs postings about what he was feeling. I quickly picked up on why the site was here and what it was about. Somewhere around 1:00 AM I simply could not take any more my heart was broken for this family and I had to stop. I tried to pick up where I left off the next day but that wasnt happening over the course of the next few days I found it in myself to finish without becoming a total sobbing blubber case. My interests in the writings of Mr. Berg and the hardness to read moved me to flip back and forth between his postings and what was going on in the home page through that i got hooked on both the design of the forums and the people here. Since that first day I have enjoyed both learning from the people here on the site and helping people here as well.

To the Berg Family I wish you the best that God can provide to you and I also wish to meet you at the memorial race some year when i can get down there. To Mr. Berg your postings are very touching and they are the only thing known to man that has made me cry since i was 5 years old.

To my Family 393 you are all very special to me and i hope we can see each other through the thick and thin for years to come. Thanks to all who have help me over the last few years and thanks to all who will help me in the future.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Pro Class

“Me and Family 393”
My first attempt at this was heading towards putting events in order of how they happened. But while I was at work today I was thinking about the title of this thread, “Me and Family 393”. So with the word “Family” in mind, I decided go the direction of my heart and how it has been affected by this family.

What impacted my heart first was when Mike Berg started posting on thumpertalk. Here was a man that opened his heart and exposed all his pain and hurt for the entire world to see. It was at those times that I sat at this computer and wept. I was deeply touched by the willingness of a man to express in the most descriptive terms I’ve ever known, the massive shaking his life is now faced with. I would read and re-read everything Mike would write. Each day I would see another opening to the core of Mr. Berg and with that opening I’d be pressed that much more to be in constant prayer for Mike, Suzette & Shannon. Before long I felt this great need to get in touch with Mike. I remember the jest of the first p.m. I sent. It spoke of how proud of Garrett he must be. Because when a father tries to instill life’s applications to his child he hopes that some day he will see it being put into use. To me, I saw those applications in Garrett by what everyone had to say about him.

Later, and without going into every detail of how it happened, I got up the nerve to call Mike. From that first call I felt the bond begin to grow between two men who had nothing at all in common but the death of one man’s son. With each conversation I was pressed ever more towards doing everything I could to make my way to Friendswood Texas. It was, as Mike would say, “A God Thing”. To help explain this I’m going to copy and paste an excerpt from my letter to Mike Berg after the G.M.B.III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-bike393
Forget the miles traveled. Forget the hours spent behind the wheel. The days pre-planning for the trip to Friendswood, Texas mean nothing. However, these are the moments in time that will forever be locked in my mind.
*** Friday, day #1 of the G.M.B.III
I’m finally walking up the driveway of Mike & Suzzett Berg. Oh sure, it’s only 90 or so feet in length, but the few seconds it takes to make my way to the back where everyone is at feels more like an eternity. This has been over two years in the making and now it’s going to happen. I will meet the man, face-to-face, whom God has kept in my prayers since September 22, 2002.
For reasons beyond my control, I was not allowed to find my way here until now. But now that I’m here, I’m feeling more like a fish out of water - out of my element, almost like I’m naked.
Another few steps and another rush of emotion comes over me as I see, in the garage, Garrett’s bike. There it sits, up on the stand that Tyler sent to Mike, so that it can take a well-deserved rest after each moto. The “393” is looking down the driveway to greet everyone as they come in. “Ya, I see you, too” is what runs through my thoughts as I let the numbers on the front plate draw my complete and undivided attention. “I’ll spent some time with you later” my mind says as I make a few more feet up the driveway. Little did I know then about the river of emotion would flow between that bike and myself, but as for now I need to find Mike.
A couple seconds later and I’m in the middle of what must be 35 or more people, all milling around the opening of the Berg’s garage. My eyes are darting back and forth now, making contact with all faces that turn to see who I am. “It’s not that I don’t want to talk to you, it’s just that I’m so close to accomplishing my mission that I’m functioning with tunnel vision at this point” is what I hope people see as I look back at them with a smile.
Then it happened… The two seconds it took for Mike to turn around when Rick told him that I was there clicked by like hours.
“Hey Mike,” Rick says, “Boyd’s here.”
From that instant, a bond began forming between two former strangers. Oh sure, Mike and I have had exchanges over the Internet and on the phone, however, that pales in comparison to the compassion we were allowed to share with each other in those minutes and days after we first met. I told Mike that if all I did after driving for three days was to meet and talk with him there that night, I could turn around and go home and it would all be worth it. But I’m glad I stayed. Yes, meeting Mike was My Cake. The rest of the weekend meant that I Got to Eat It, Too.
This sums up the foundation of what is now a solid, meaningful, lasting, committed and loving friendship I have with the father of “Me and Family 393”.

We have all heard that a picture is worth a thousand words. Well if you ask me this one is worth a thousand pictures.

Now… with that being said I’m compelled to explain who the person was that went the extra mile for me there at G.M.B.III. The one that made me feel that I was a part of this great family, the one that went way out of his comfort zone and extended more then a hand in friendship. We know him as machoman393 or what he goes by now MACHO104.

I remember it as if it happened yesterday. While at G.M.B.III, my first one, Mark and I were standing on the finish line tower watching one of the practice motos on Saturday. He was talking about how much the G.M.B.’s mean to him, and that each year he likes to watch for some one he wants to race with. Then he paused… I didn’t know how to respond or what I should say. Then he looked directly at me and continued on with, “I choose you”.

Think about this a minute, I’m 2500 miles from home and the only two people there I really had any kind of relationship with was my daughter, Nikki, and Mike Berg. Now here is this guy I’ve known only as machoman on A.T.M. who is acting as though he really wants spend quality time around me. I was totally caught off guard. That’s not normal behavior. (We all know that Mark isn’t normal but I didn’t know that then) Mark’s willingness to treat me like family accelerated the growth for me to make all of you part of my family too. (Slight disclaimer here… John Lorenz gave me a small insight on Mark before I left for Texas. John said he cheats when he races)

What good is a post without more pics?

The list could go on but I think the spirit of what this thread is asking is how I became part of this family.

These two men who went outside of themselves, each from a totally different place in their lives, are what started it for me.

Last edited by Motodad393; 01-31-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 AM
cha cha

I first found ATM with the help of another member.. MattXR250R who now goes by Matt Jasmine. I posted and surfed a little, keeping things light. I noticed right away though how friendly everyone was. The very first PM I received was from Wobbie, kind of funny now that I think about it.

That really isn’t what drew me to “Family 393” though. It was reading Mr. Berg’s “A letter to my son”. I think it was the raw emotion and Mr. Berg’s willingness to share his grief, his pain, his memories so openly and so freely with the world. I felt the need to send him a PM. He responded within a couple of days. Amazing! Here was a man who’d lost his son, who didn’t know me from the stranger down the road and yet he was willing to take the time to respond. And it wasn’t some sort of benign response, it was genuine and heartfelt. I guess it was then that I knew I had to make the trip to Texas for the GMBIII. I had to meet the man who so willingly shared such personal feelings with us. So I made the trip, Wobbie picked me up at the airport and from the moment we met, it was like we’d always known each other. It was the same when I met Pragmatic that night. I found that simply amazing. Little did I know what was in store for me. Friday night we went to the Berg’s. With one hug and a simple look in the eyes, I knew there was a bond with the Berg’s that would never be broken. It was, just as Mike Berg has said time and again, “Those looks that traverse the eyes, touching the soul in the deepest way possible.” That happens..it’s a real and tangible thing. There’s a connection of hearts and in some instances, a trading of hearts that takes place. I left Texas that weekend, changed in many ways, part of a family that grows year by year.

And through it all, I am reminded constantly that this bond exists because one man lost his son. Like Jedi, I would give it up in a heartbeat for Mike, Suzette and Shannon to have Garrett back.
I can only hope that Garrett is smiling down on us, proud of his legacy.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Pro Class

I held back for awhile to post here, honestly I thought I would see many more posts. Me and Family 393 started on a Monday September 23 2002, when my daughter and I returned from the very first WCTT event. It was then as I started to post on the weekend activity I read the post form Zach Bazzy. I immediatly broke down as my wife asked me what happen I began to tell her the story of Garrett and I.

Garrett and I met on TT right after I bought my 2000 426, he answered all of my questions and helped me a few times in setup on my 426. I had taken about a 16 year sabaticle from bikes due to injury and raising a family. Believe me Bikes changed major from a 1979 cr390 Husky to a 2000 YZf426. Garrett and I began to exchange emails and talk a bit on the phone. Garrett was using a Web host called Tripod at the time and was getting shut down every day after about 10 minutes because of bandwidt usage.

Well My son was hosting his own server so I arrainged to have Garrett setup his server on that and this is how we became friends. We talked a lot more, on the phone joked about how Kirtwell kiccked my butt royally on Motocross Madness 2 and how Garrett was waiting with child like anticipation for his 450. Garrett had an awesome sense of humor, he is such a likable person. It is rare in life that even though you do not meet face to face some folks you just begin a kinship / friendship that will last forever.

Well One thing led to another and Garrett and I joked about making road runs out to Calif for the WCTT and Me to Texas. I remember in an email exchange I still have I siad Man i would love to come to texas and try your moms Texas pancakes. He replied, Mom dont do to good on pancakes but she makes aewome waffles. One week later Garrett passed away and I found myself at the Bergs shortly after that at Garretts table eating breakfast with the Bergs.

My Plane arrived at Houston International and I was met by a man I immediatly recognised Mike Berg, I can tell you Mike strikes no intimidating figure to me, but he does strike a Honorable one. Our Hearts bonded long before that initial hand shake and Hug, our friendship will last forever. That first GMB for me was the Best One, I would think that as each experiance there First GMB that would be thier best as well. Mine was blessed far beyond I could ever Imagine. A bond was created with a Group of Men, Men that need not have thier names mentioned they know who they are. What we hold and what we gained that day is no less differant then what Men find in the heat of Battle and bonds that time and distance will never break. My heart was left in Texas that weekend.

Fast forward to GMB 2005 I finally made it back, some kept asking me if there was a differance, and I honestly could not answer that yet. I soaked in the New friendships forming, DBD, DBK, CRFjedi, Satch and so many others while rekindling and seeking the familure face of the Band of Brothers. The 2005 GMB was nothing like the First in 2002, and it should never be, 2005 had its own time, its own adventure its own ability to do magic just as the 2002 had. To experiance the awesome Kindship of Friends, Family and again the Band of Brothers, is a GMB Only event, nothing can take the place of GMB.

So Me and the Family 393 was born out of the Tragic loss of a Friend i never had the chance to meet. But I met his legacy, I met all of you who had known Garrett, Matt, Zach, Leah and so many more. I also met the Mom and Dad of one of the Finest young men I know Mike and Suzette Berg. One other person who remains close ot my heart in prayer and thougts every day is My new little sister Shannon, To know her is to love her, such a gracious young woman, full of life. To meet the Bergs you meet Garrett and that is Me and family 393

God Speed Garrett Roost On Brother.

Last edited by Motodad393; 03-09-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
ATM Contributor!

I have enjoyed reading these posts and then re-reading them. But, I too, am surprised that there are not more of them. You guys and gurls just put yourselves in the position of Mr. and Mrs. Berg and the reality of losing one of your precious children. Mr. Berg didn't contact anyone. Everyone else contacted him because of their respect for Garrett. The friendships and respect quickly developed because these spontaneous contacts were revealing a sense of purpose to Garrett's life on and off the Net.
Let's face it. Most of us are naturally selfish beings and we tend to venture into something only if it will benefit US! Well, Garrett Michael Berg didn't have that negative characteristic. That is EXACTLY why is our Internet home. Maybe some of us just ride the good "vibes" and enjoy not getting flamed. Maybe some of us just don't really know how to express what we feel in words. Whatever your reason for being here, I would encourage you to share it. You don't have to "measure up". You don't have to share the longest or most touching post. You don't have to make sense to anyone but yourself. But, if you can post a message here, you are part of . So give us an idea of why you enjoy being part of this family.
You may never get the chance to travel to a GMB event but it doesn't mean you can't post your thoughts and feelings on the deeper issues of the site's foundation. That's why this is the best site on the net!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Expert Class

Re: "Me and Family 393"

Where to begin...honestly I had never heard of this site until one day I searched "Reynard" and this was one site that came up. I read the post about Robbie and saved it to my very long motocross list of web sites. Than I was touched by an email I recieved from a little boy's Aunt...this is when my life with Cody and ATM began. Within a week of me making an airline ticket and heavy in plans for Cody's special weekend I get a PM on another website. It was from Howard aka bigmaico393 he offered his support and sadness of what was happening to Cody and to his family. He then gave me a link to this website to see all the special things the great people at ATM were writing. I immediately signed up to be a member. I was overwhelmed by an entire community spread all over the world wanting to sign a card for a little boy they never met. A day later I got another PM from Howard and he asked me to call him. I think the funniest thing about him is he had no clue I was Robbie Reynard's sister (is the name RRsis not clear enough ) He was offering me ways to help make Cody's weekend special trying to get passes, set me up with teams..until he found out who I was...then he said calmly ooo well you might have more connections then me. We laughed. He was very easy to talk to and I aplogize now if I talked your ear off Howard...It is a bad habit...My parents didn't call me jabber jaws for nothing! :
Then a day later he asked me to call him again. I did and this time he said he had talked to Mr. Berg and that they wanted to help me out with everything to make Cody's weekend happen. This group of people are unreal 3 days later I recieved a check, 3 GMB shirts , stickers and a video. I gave Cody and his dad a shirt and I posted the picture of Cody in his here. It was the first place I went and posted when I got home from my weekend with Cody. I will never be able to thank them for what they did. They helped me help a little boy smile. It was perfect.
I feel a connection with everyone here. It is a great place and now I am an ATM member for life...or until you guys get tired of my long posts!!! Like I said I am the talker in the family. I hope someday soon I will be able to meet these men that helped make Cody's weekend, but who also touched my heart with their compassion and stories. I read the "letter" and the raw emotion in it makes me cry thinking of it. I want to strive in life to hope that when it is my time to go that I will be remembered in such a way. That I made an impact in so many lives...because not evening knowing him, but learning the memory of Garrett has made a huge impact on my life.

God Speed and take care to all

And I love all of you out in the ATM communtiy (this has gotten me all emotional..sorry guys)

Cherie

Last edited by Motodad393; 03-09-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Pro Class

Quote:
(this has gotten me all emtional..sorry guys)
Real People Cry
Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Expert Class

It started for me by reading the "Letter to my Son" post on TT shortly after the first GMB. Being a father of 3, I could not pull my self away from reading post after post after post. I had to shut my office door for hours and completely break down. I missed the first GMB, but I would NOT miss the second. Several months passed and I was riding at 3-Palms in Conroe when I noticed a truck drive by with a 393 number in the back. It was Mike and Matt. It took me a few minutes to muster up the courage but I walked over a visited with them. I had to tell Mike face to face about how much of an impact he made on my life with his letters. I know I am a better father and husband from reading those letters! I have been blessed with the chance to ride and race at the GMBII and GMBIV, but most importantly to meet the members of TT and ATM as well as make many new friends. Mike Berg may never know the impact he has had on myself as well as others, my hope is he may.

Thank You Mike Berg!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
ATM Contributor!

Wow...what a post.

My story is kind of unique as many here are. I was not one of the original band of brothers, I was actually brought here by a fellow member/moderator 2fun. I was a member of another now defunct board with 2fun and we kept in touch via e-mail for a year or so after it went down.

2fun e-mailed me out of nowhere one day and said hey, check this out. I came on the then "moto emporium" browsed around and was drawn in by a "home" feeling that I just really cannot explain. I immediately registered as MotoMan having no idea of Garrett's legacy or the connection.

A few days, or perhaps the next day even I cannot remember, I got a PM from a guy that called himself Machoman. He was asking me to change my username, and frankly, he was rather short with me in doing so. I then discovered why this site was here, and immediately wrote a letter back to Macho and Mr. Berg explaining my deepest sympathies and my reasoning for using my username, but also understanding why they would like it changed and would do so if they wished. Long and short, I was allowed to keep the name that I now use, and was brought into a family like none I have ever seen before.

My first GMB was GMBII, Yardpro and I had met in a shopping center in the middle of TN and drove down together to TX, I had never met him in my life before that meeting in a wal-mart parking lot, and we jumped in the truck and headed south. The next day we where the first ones to the Berg residence and we had the honor of meeting one of the most influential people of my life, Mike Berg and his family.

From there, the ways this site and the people that make it up have helped me is immeasurable. 2 almost life ending accidents, divorce, marriage, I can go on and on.

Garrett's legacy truly lives on here at ATM and although I never had the privilege of meeting the young man that has touched so many of us, I feel that I know him well.

Thanks to all of you here, who have shown me the love and support that you have.

Jim Vaughn
Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
ATM Contributor!

What awesome stories to read. This is tough.

Like many that are a part of this family, I never had the chance to meet or speak to Garrett. In fact, I found ATM before Thumpertalk when I was looking to sell my quad and buy a dirtbike. I stumbled accross ATM, through a google search, I think.

Like Char said, I could see immediately that this place was special. Woody_CRF and others answered my silly questions kindly and quickly, and in no time I had my CRF and was forever attached to ATM. After being a member for a few weeks I began reading the GMB forum and heard of the upcoming GMBII memorial race.

Attending GMBII changed my life forever.

I had the opportunity to meet and get to know Mike and Suzette, as well as many other awesome members of the ATM family. I will never forget meeting my first fellow ATMer (Keeto) in the lobby of our motel in Houston . I will never forget how Mike so openly shared his thoughts and feelings regarding Garrett. I will never forget how Mike continues to help teach me how to be the best father I can be. I will never forget how much Garrett teaches all of us about the importance of living our life the best way we can.

The GMB family is also special to me because it introduced me to a new passion in my life, motocross videography and photography. GMBII was the first motocross video I ever made, and now everytime I film a race or more recently take photos of Supercross, I am reminded that I owe this excitement and opportunity in my life to Garrett.

Now, October is the highlight of our year. My family constantly talks about our plans to make it out for the GMB, who we will meet, the trips there and back. Such good times. Such special times.

Roost on Motoman393
Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Da Bunny

I tried writing my story for this post several times but I just never found the words to describe the feeling of love and compassion from such a great group of people.

I had just bought my 426 and was looking for tips on how to fine tune it when I ran across Thumpertalk. I looked around but never joined until I kept on seeing this post about a young man that had gave his life doing what he loved. I read it every day as it grew and grew with disbelief at first, then shock and so much sadness when it was found out to be true.

I was reading Mr. Berg's letter one night and got a PM from him asking me if I were coming to the race on Thanksgiving. I was in awe but sadly had to turn it down due to having family come to town that I hadn't seen in years. Had I gone to the race and went through the emotion the rest of the men and women did that weekend, I would not have wound up with a broken back. My accident was a blessing in disguise however, because I had to stay home for a month and every single day I read about what Michael Berg was all about and the people that loved him.

At that time, Florida393 sent me a PM asking me to come and check out this brand new website that Madman (Tyler) had started. It was there that I started chatting with Tyler as well as a few others. Tyler had previously asked me to meet him at Badlands MX park and he would attempt to show me how to ride MX as I had never been on a MX track before. I chickened out but later I saw a guy that was not far from me and noticed he was racing at Badlands. I can't recall who sent the PM first but I met up with Kirtwell one weekend and went with him to that race. To make a long story short, used to work with Kirtwell and I was telling him about this other guy that had asked me to go to Badlands with him. Being the small world that it is, they later found out that Kirtwell was Tyler's DI in the army and had last seen him in Germany.

I got to chatting with Machoman in the new "chat box" and we had a lot of fun teasing each other. In March of 03, Tyler set up a ride with Mr. Berg and Machoman came from Arkansas to join us. I had never met Macho before but he felt like a family member the first time I met him. When we got to Tyler's house, he handed me a brand new set of bark busters and said he would not take any money for it but to just "pay it forward" to someone else that was in need.

That weekend with Mr. Berg and the rest of the guys that participated was truly special. We had a lot of "man to man" heart talk and I was a different person when I left.

I met up with Macho at Big Maico's house for the first planning meeting and it was like seeing old family. Big M even had me walk into the house and yell out "Honey I'm home" to his wife (which I did) and she laughed so hard at that. I knew right then that there was something special about this group of people. Big M let me stay at his house that night even though I was a complete stranger. Dave came the next day and I was just in awe of that man's bike knowledge.

My first race was that October and I was excited but nervous to meet all of these strangers that I had just made contact with via ATM. I remember checking into the motel and seeing this big red truck pull up out front with a bike in it and somehow I just knew it had to be Zoo. That was a really cool moment. I think I turned to him and asked if he was here for the GMB race and he had this shocked look on his face like... I know you! One guy, Yardpro, even trusted me enough to have a pipe he ordered sent to my house because he wouldn't be there to pick it up as he left a couple of days before me to get to the race.

Garrett has passed on a legacy and every time we gather at "the tree", I can feel his presence. I have yet to see anyone that goes to that tree, where we set the memorial, leave with a dry eye.

Through the years the family has grown yet the love among us all grows with it. I am awed every year I go to a memorial race at how much the family has grown. giggle every time I see a new person and how they react to how they are welcomed and then the love spreads over them and they are changed. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to call my friends. Scratch that, you guys are my family!

Keith
Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Novice Class

well, i'm a new member to ATM, my big brother (quadfather03) told me i should check it out. i love supercross an enjoy learnin about quads and dirtbikes. it wasnt til recent that i found out the real reason for the establishment of this site. Mr Berg's post are touchin an i cant read them w/out cryin. i hope that one day i can make it down to a memorial race. this site is proof that ppl can come together an help each other out. To the Berg Family, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited by Quadgirl19; 03-09-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Pro Class

I Remember the day I became part of the Garrett Family
It was the first time My Son rode on a MX Track
I Had only been there acouple of times Robert who
owns Splendora Started working where I work at
and He ask Me to come try his track out......
Of coarse I Loved it
Myself & MySon show up at Splendy and Robert Really
is shaken about something and I ask Him and He
told Me of the events of Garrett's accident Not
one hour before We arrived. I've Been Here
ever since through All of the GMB's Except last Yr
Heck i did an endo the first GMB on Garrett's 426
Man they engine brake Hard
I've Met Some of the Greatest Family from one
coast to another and LOOK FORWARD to meeting
the rest

OSF393- Don W.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:16 PM
ATM! Addict

This hard to put into words but I will try.

I found ATM doing a search for motorcycle info. I had been out of bikes for many years and one day DBK askes to get a dirtbike. We made him a deal for grades and he would get a dirtbike. Well as you might figure by now he held his end and we held ours.

Once I found ATM I started asking questions about my newly purchased 426 and the first person to ever answer me was Florida393. I then started browsing the site and learning of Garrett and the Berg Family. I met the Hoot Family and we started riding together at El Mirage. I wanted to go to GMBII and couldn't make it. I vowed then to make GMBIII no matter what, even if I had to quit my job at the time. I rode with the Hoots to Texas and the minute I met Mike Berg I felt liks his friend not because I had talked to him on ATM but because he made me feel that way. He is a warm kind hearted person and I felt like maybe we had something in common being fathers.

As I arrived at the famous Splendy I couldn't help taking in the area with the large trees and thick vegitation. While at the track that Saturday I was able to meet many people that I had talked to on the site. I felt a little out of place because I don't ride tracks very much but I have never had a problem talking to people I had never met and making friends fast.

After riding almost all day I talked to all I could and they all made me feel right at home and part of the family. I cried Sunday many times and could barely get out a thank you and goodbye to Mr. Berg when it came time to leave. The hug he gave me made me feel like a family member. I knew then that I would be coming to GMB's every year as long as I can.

That weekend changed me forever. It may not seem like it to DBK but it did and I treasure the time that I get to spend with him. I also have the memories of DBK learning to ride and the fun we had trail riding.

I wish I was a member of the Band of Brothers but being a member of the "Motoman393 Race Team" is an honor and pleasure I will always have in my life.

Me and my family 393 is and will always be part of my life.

DBD

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History