All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Garrett M. Berg "Motoman393" - Portrait

Hello ATM,

I have been asked before for a picture of Garrett and I recently learned how to "add pictures" - so here is a picture of my son, Garrett M. Berg. This picture was taken "accidently" as his High School Senior picture. He showed up on the wrong day to get his picture taken. Thankfully, for our family we have this picture. It was taken a week or so before his death.

You know him as "Motoman393" I know him as my son, the "little man" as I often called him. I miss him beyond description; however, I remain deeply humbled by and proud of the legacy he left behind. It has been 258 weeks and 5 days since he died.

Garrett Michael Berg
Born: June 24, 1985
Died: September 22, 2002

"May he rest in eternal peace - My son will live forever in my heart!"
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Garrett M. Berg "Motoman393" - Portrait

Good lookin fella!

Nice to see the face behind all of the wonderful happenings around here!

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM
ATM Contributor!

I wish I could have met him....
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Novice Class

Fine looking young man. A good remeinder to us all to be thankful of what we have.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thanks for sharing that.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
ATM Contributor!

Mr. Berg,
You have had my deepest respect since the moment I read that letter you wrote to Garrett. I've told you before that I don't know how you get through the GMB weekend. I think I shed more tears than you do. You're a strong man and you have every right to be extremely proud of Garrett and the mark he has left on this world.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM
cha cha

Thank you for sharing Mr Berg.

I too wish I could have met him.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Mr. Berg,

A child is a direct reflection of their parents. The things they are willing to accomplish in life is based on what inner strength they possess. That very inner strength is a learned trait from their parents. Although I'm sure posting Garrett's picture is an emotional roller coaster for you and certainly bittersweet, we - the membership here at , appreciate you opening your heart to us. You and the Mrs. raised a fine young man and this site is a testimonial to your accomplishment.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
Mr. Berg,

A child is a direct reflection of their parents. The things they are willing to accomplish in life is based on what inner strength they possess. That very inner strength is a learned trait from their parents. Although I'm sure posting Garrett's picture is an emotional roller coaster for you and certainly bittersweet, we - the membership here at , appreciate you opening your heart to us. You and the Mrs. raised a fine young man and this site is a testimonial to your accomplishment.
Here, here!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
Mr. Berg,

Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments here. I feel it appropriate to share a little story here that I believe "rings of truth."

I have a friend named Mr. Carl Stevens who I met through my good friend Mr. Bazzy. Mr. Steven’s students fondly referred to him as “Coach.” Mr. Stevens is a retired Professional Sales Trainer and one of the finest men I have had the pleasure to know. Mr. Stevens is about 83 years old.

Mr. Stevens once asked me if I had heard the old euphemism that “You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.”

I said, “yes I have heard that before.”

Mr. Stevens then said, “Well, it’s not true!”

Mr. Stevens went on to say, “You walk that horse by a salt block first and then show him the water and then stand back and watch him drink!” Mr. Stevens is absolutely right.

I tell you this story so that I can compare being an effective parent and our kids being the horse. As parents it is our, or should be our objective to make our children “thirsty.” If we accomplish this, it is still up to our children to “take the drink” from the right place.

So how does this relate to me? Suzette and I are fortunate in the regard that Garrett and Shannon “got thirsty” and by and in large “drank or drink” from the right place. As parents, we just have to keep making them thirsty and hope they drink from the right place.

So if you are a parent and you are reading this, "Make your kids thirsty and show them the water and pray that they drink."

Last edited by Motodad393; 08-24-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad393 View Post
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments here. I feel it appropriate to share a little story here that I believe "rings of truth."

I have a friend named Mr. Carl Stevens who I met through my good friend Mr. Bazzy. Mr. Steven’s students fondly referred to him as “Coach.” Mr. Stevens is a retired Professional Sales Trainer and one of the finest men I have had the pleasure to know. Mr. Stevens is about 83 years old.

Mr. Stevens once asked me if I had heard the old euphemism that “You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.”

I said, “yes I have heard that before.”

Mr. Stevens then said, “Well, it’s not true!”

Mr. Stevens went on to say, “You walk that horse by a salt block first and then show him the water and then stand back and watch him drink!” Mr. Stevens is absolutely right.

I tell you this story so that I can compare being an effective parent and our kids being the horse. As parents it is our, or should be our objective to make our children “thirsty.” If we accomplish this, it is still up to our children to “take the drink” from the right place.

So how does this relate to me? Suzette and I are fortunate in the regard that Garrett and Shannon “got thirsty” and by and in large “drank or drink” from the right place. As parents, we just have to keep making them thirsty and hope they drink from the right place.

So if you are a parent and you are reading this, "Make your kids thirsty and show them the water and pray that they drink."
That is awesome! You are an inspiration to us all.

I watch Garrett's video before I drag the bike out to whatever hole I happen to be riding at that day.

Last edited by Headbanger; 08-24-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Da Bunny

Thank you for posting his picture for everyone to see what a fine young man you led to the salt block.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Hook'Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatic393 View Post

I wish I could have met him....

Me too! I wish I could so he could have taught me how to ride like he did. I watch his video often I have it downloaded on my desk top. I bet I watch it once a week. He was a natural. No doubt in my mind he would have been pro.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Pro Class

I knew Garrett only by our phone calls and him making fun of me getting my butt kicked on Motocross Madness. I think of him everyday as I walk past my 426 everyday, Garrett's numbers 393 will always be run on my 426. I have the blessing of knowing Garrett and helping him, but that is a minor thing compared for the help he gave so many people, myself included all around the world with his growing knowledge of the 426.

That blessing came even more real to me, when I came to know and become friends with Mike Berg Garrett's father, Suzzette Garrett's mom and Shannon Garrett's Sister. Though time and distance seperates us, that will never stop to bond formed on the first weekend we came together to celebrate Garrett's life.

I am forever greatfull to the friendship Mike and I have and forever indebted to a young man who blessed so many in his 17 years of life.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Welcome To ATM

Mr Berg,

I was cleaning out my gargage last weekend and I came across the ad/banner for GMB I that I had saved. I participated in GMB I and II - mostly because I felt like it was the right thing to do. I was there that day at Splendora and witnessed what no father should ever have to go thru. I remember waiting at the front gate for the ambulance wondering what was taking so long. I remember packing it up and not riding anymore that day. I now too have a son that is 5 and started riding. Your son for me serves as a reminder that even those that know what they are doing on a bike can have a bad day. I soon after that day realized I was a father (of 2 now) and that my motocross passion really was just my hobby. It slowly started to dawn on me that it really was OK to get passed, and that it didnt matter if I won my class or got 19th. It is just a hobby. I questioned myself about letting my son ride, and in the end I have let him start. How could I keep him from experience what I have thru riding. My quest is to keep it fun, and teach him right. Garrett serves as a reminder every time we go to the track. Watching you that day was tough, and you handled it like a pro. I remember your trailer being loaded, i think you may have had your dogs with you? Anyways, I hope thru the years that you are learning to remember the memories you shared with Garrett. God bless you.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History