All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Novice Class

I am relatively new to this site and have often wandered who Garrett was. Now after reading Mr. Berg's letter, with tear filled eyes I know. What a wonderful group of people you all are. I will always remember the reason this site exists and will be proud to be a part of it.
My prayers are with you Berg family.

Tim
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
ATM Contributor!

Well put, Doc. Very well put.

Mr. Berg's choice to share his pain is what touched me. Not only did he share it, he laid it out there in such a personal way that we all felt it deeply. It forced us to second guess how we parent, how we love, and how we live. Thank you Mr. Berg and Godspeed motoman393.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
ATM! Pro Class

you was remember today Motoman 393....I often wonder as a machinist, if you put those numbers so often in front of me at work. The number 393 keeps popping up everywhere...and it makes me smile.

I smile because Mike Berg did it right..........which inspires me to do it right.

some of you new folks wonder what right is...............for me its being the good dad.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Expert Class

Moto

George, You are as good with words as you are behind a camera. Garrett and the Bergs were in our hearts and prayers all day today as tough as it was. Garrett, Godspeed Bro, .......Jerry
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I am humbled by the well wishes, your kind comments and your thoughts and prayers this day. My family also very much appreciated you folks, your friendship, love, support and for having big hearts and truly caring about others. This has been backed by YOUR actions and has resulted in helping many. You folks are the ones who make it happen.

It is 0100 hrs on 9/23/09 and I just got home from a long ride in "G_ds Country" known by others as the Texas Hill country. We rode about 815 miles. Mr. Bazzy and I took off Monday night rode to Kerrville, TX. spent the night. This day that make us remember "That Final Day" was tough this year. About 0400 hrs today it rained like no tomorrow, windy cold. We finally bought rain gear, geared up and headed South on Hwy 16 to Medina, Texas. Rained wet roads. We turned west on Hwy 337 and within 10 miles the roads went from wet to completely dry. It was a very strange thing to have happen. We continued west on 337, North on 336 to Hwy 41 to 335 (roller coaster section ~ 20 miles). The whole loop is about 180 miles of twists, turns, sweepers and 5,000 feet of elevation changes. It is known as "The Three Sisters." Google it and read about it. Streams, rivers, low water crossings, wildlife - G_ds work everywhere. All of the roads were dry. I did not hit rain until I got to Friendswood, TX about 8 miles from home.

I spoke out loud to Garrett as I rode portions of 335 and 337. Teared up quite a few times and smiles too! This was a GREAT way to spend this day.

I am exhausted and drained. Still got to smile, dry roads! Makes me wonder!

Thanks All. We appreciate your thought, prayers and we value your friendship and generous and kind hearts.

Last edited by Motodad393; 09-24-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Mike,

I'm pleased to see you had a good ride out in Gods Country. Every one of us, whether we want to admit it or not, needs our own time to ponder, reflect and wonder. Life challanges every one of us in different ways and IMHO it is how we recover from those challanges that defines who we are. You have the support of more people than you know about and that HAS to give you additional comfort.

I, like George and I am sure many other, have learned something from you. I try to take a couple of your lessons back home with me after GMBs and apply them to my life. I'm very sorry and disappointed that I won't be able to be there this year to give you a BIG ole man-hug and to take away and apply more of you in my life.

God bless you, Suzette and Shannon.

Ernie
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag

Doc,
Thank you for the words and the thought you just so well put to us. I am glad that Garrett could be a light to you and your son. Mike, I was in prayer all day for you, Suzette and Shannon as the anniversary passed. I hope the ride you got to take was healing and cleansing. You are an inspiration to me in how you carry and conduct yourself.

Regards,
Bill
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I moved this post from the General Forum to here, because I believe this is where it belongs.

George - I have been contemplating writing about this post since after I first read it. I was in a Yamaha shop in Kerville, TX on 9/22/09. It was raining outside that morning and I was hurting inside. Your post made me cry in the dealership. I must have looked stupid. I ended up sharing ATM with them.

When people are impacted in a postive way like you and your family have been - that is precisely why my family continues to embrace this event/off-road family and to do what we do. Initially, for me embracing this community of off-road riders was a feeble attempt to find a way to survive. It helped me forget "where I was" at least while I was on line. I was trying to learn how to deal with the nightmare reality I found myself facing. I had no instructions.

When I have the privilege to see "grown men" evaluate, change and modify there thinking and back it by actions to be better Dads, Husbands and especially Fathers - that, that make is all worth while.

I have also had high school age children - change their lives by actions for the better. One 17 year called and told me, "Mr. Berg I just read your letter to your son and I realized that my dad could not say the same thing about me." He went on to tell me that he was going to stop drugs, failing his classes and make his parents proud. I told him "great, have you told your parents?" He resonded, "no and I am not going to. They have heard it before, now I want them to see it." About 7 months after this conversation out of the blue, this young mans mother called me and thanked me. I told her, thanks, but that her son was the one who made the CHOICE, backed it by his actions and made the change. We both cried together on the phone. Her son was on the honor role in HS, drug/alcohol free and his parents were proud. He went on and finished college. He rode a 2001 Yamaha YZ 426 - The same kind of bike Garrett rode before his YZ450F.

George, your story has always had a positive and humbling impact on me and my family since the first time you had the courage to share it with me. I realize how much courage it took for you to make this post. Thank you and "Thanks" to the many others who share their stories with me. It is the fuel that makes me do what I do.

For me, sometimes the greatest things a "father" can teach their sons is what not to do. Don't get me wrong, my dad was a good man and a good dad. He taught me honesty, integrity and he gave me a very good work ethic. He taught me the American Dream is real - but that you must work and apply yourself to achieve it. He was also a dyfunctional husband - because of what he saw as a kid. He grew up in the Great Depression and survival was not a sure thing. He became a workaholic" because my Grandfather worked five jobs to support and raise five kids. I remember wanting positive interaction with my dad, usually I received negative comments. I learned in retrospect kids will act and seek "attention from their parents" be it good or bad. For me attention was attention. My actions caused the negative attention. I learned this later in life. We must as Dads, Husbands and men make the "choice" to build on the good from our upbringing and we must also choose not to repeat the dysfunctionality. Learning to develop the "tools" for this is another story.

Anyway, back on track these two stories are just a couple that have been shared with me over the last seven years. It warms my heart when men, women and kids tell me how their life has changed for the positive - after they read some of the things posted on ATM, TT and other places.

I firmly believe that from tragedy there are two and only two 'Paths of Life" that result. (1) Tragedy will take you down and sadly, can be fatal; OR (2) Tragedy will force one to look for good and positive things that can come out of tragedy.

For me, I was lucky - I was unaware of the close nit and loving community of MX'er & Off-road riders. These folks rallied and supported my family like I never even thought possible. The "Legacy" and hora my son had "On-Line" simply blew me away. Garrett was respectful, helpful to others and acted in a very mature manner. He was the same at home as he was "on-line." He was not in it for self edification, but he truly had a desire to help others. These two facts made it easy for me to "jump in and embrace" and try to give back to those who came to support my family during the most horrific time imaginable for any parent.

Share your stories with others as this is a good way to help make a messed up world a better place! Helping have a positive impact on the lives of others is always a good thing - and I personally believe that "it warms the heart of the Almighty" so to speak.

For as I have said before, "success of a man is not measured by our W-2 forms, but rather by what our kids say about us when we are not around." Thanks George for "sharing" openly and more importantly for your courage to make the necessary changes and becoming a "Great Dad!"

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History