All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 01:01 PM
will fall over

Default Re: Allthingsmoto.com

Macho
This thread doesn't seem random to me at all, as a matter of fact, quite the opposite. See y'all in two weeks!

To the casual observer, this forum may seem like just another mx site, the GMB memorial race might seem like just another race.
It might seem like a giant PITA to travel so far for 'just another race'.
And for many who travel several hunderd miles, it can be a strain, both physically and financially.
But as said before, it's the people who make it special.
"What's so special" you ask?
Everyone who is there knows why we are there. Very few have come just for the trophies.
The fact that many have sacrificed much to be at this race says a lot about them.
To put it mildly, there's a lot of love in the room.
By comparison, the reason this race is being held, makes the trials and expense of getting there seem like an absolute pleasure.

Why do I go to the GMB memorial?
I am blessed to have never lost anyone close to me. But I also have never been blessed with a son.
I can't imagine the pain Mike Berg feels in losing his son,
but I also can't imagine the pride he felt watching Garrett triumph.

For many years, I had not a great deal of compassion for the pain
of others. When I found ATM, and I read 'the letter' it had a profound impact on me. It's not about dirtbikes, that's just the thing we have in common. I was compelled to ride moto, but I avoided mx tracks for fear of getting hurt.
The triumph and tradegy in his writings about his son, let me see that my life without risk or compassion, is not much of a life at all.
Not taking risks like motocross (or having children) is a nice safe way to aviod any pain that comes with it. Not having compassion for anyone else helped me to avoid feeling the pain someone else has to endure.
One never knows when they will be the reason the yellow flag is waving, but the triumph is worth the risk. I learned a lesson from you Mike!! I gonna go give it everything I've got!

They said he wouldn't live, and he proved them all wrong.
Not only did he live, he flat out kicked A$$!!
I don't pity Mr. Berg, but admire him for his strength, compassion
and generousity, and I hope to take a little more home with me this year.

John

Last edited by wFo250; 09-17-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:42 PM
ATM! Pro Class

John, awesome post. I can tell your alot like me and the Memorial event has changed your life for the better. Thank you posting your thoughts and sharing. I know Wood-dog meant nothing bad at all. He just suspected there was a underlying theme to my 1st post. He was correct. See ya in couple of weeks.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:46 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGSin View Post
Cant wait to meet everyone in 2 weeks...I sure hope Im worthy!
Doc, George, TOOTH FAIRY! (As Char has so affectionately dubbed you.) BTW, you are unlikely to ever shed that title.
But back to your post. If you love your family and can feel the loss of others based on that love............ If you realize the value of something before it is lost....... If you shed a tear when you browse through the GMB forum.... You are worthy my friend. We are all just plain folk. Well, except for Mr. Berg. He's a Super Hero. My main regret is that we all enjoy the renuion each October at the expense of Mike, Suzette, and Shannon. It keeps the sorrow fresh for them and I don't really like that. Just make sure you meet each of them and share your heart. They are great people.

John, your post moved me. You have a way with words.

Macho, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag Re: Allthingsmoto.com

ATM,
If you are unlucky as I have been since GMBI you cannot know what a feeling of family is present at a GMB event. Those of you that have attended consider yourselves fortunate to know Mike, Suzette and Shannon as well as the ATM/TT crews that make the trip for one of the most meaningful weekends you can hope to experience. The looks from the smiles to the tears are genuine, I assure you.

Everyone have a great GMBV this year and take something positive home to share with riders, family members and coworkers. God bless and keep you all safe during this wonderful gathering and fellowship.

Bill

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Background and History