All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Intermediate Class

Default trying to teach my 6yo girl how to ride xr 50!!!

its not working to well and i was hoping to find some info on how to train her but im commin up short.
do i let her crash and cry or get training wheels or mabey tie the wife up and gag her so she doesn't interfear.... i don't know please help!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: trying to teach my 6yo girl how to ride xr 50!!!

can she ride a bicycle? on the training wheel part i guess most kids grow up riding bicycles after using training wheels i never did i just wrecked and went back for more. That may be an answer and I hear you on the protective mother. Good luck man.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Class

All of the other stuff you said and lots of patience . If she doesn't need the training wheels, leave 'em off.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I would try the training wheels (if she does not know how to ride bike) But only for a little while.If she can ride a bicycle then let her crash. If posible take the shifter off so she can not accidentally change gears (not sure if you can do that on that bike ) thats what I did on my 4yr olds quad. Make sure she has all the proper protective gear.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Missing the days of riding

id teach her to ride a bicycle well and then that would help with the balance part of learning, then i guess it would just take practice and plentie of band aids?

i know when i was 4 y/o i was already doing wheelies on my bicycle and when it came time to ridding dirt bikes it came naturally.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
ATM! Pro Class

My nefew rode a dirt bike before he rode a bicycle.(no training wheels) And got it right off the bat. So who's to say what will work for her. I also suggest ridding with her for a couple times that's how my brother taught his boy.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Intermediate Class

We tried the training wheels on our JR50 when our son was 4 1/2. He just was too scared, but he could not ride a bike yet either without training wheels. Soon after, when he could ride a bike with no training wheels, he learned the JR50 VERY quickly [no training wheels], like within 1 or two days.

IMO, the training wheels on the JR50 did not help at all.

If she can ride a bike, and she WANTS to ride the XR50, start by maybe riding it with her and let her do the throttle to get comfortable with that, that is what we did.

Let us know how it turns out?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Intermediate Class

she not bad on a pedal bike and she can ride the little 90cc quads and she'll ride with me on my bike but when it comes to the 50 she wont let me let go. i know if she gets it once itll be fine but thats the prob we tried a few times last year with no luck but im worried if i push she wont want to try at all and that would really suck.
im defanetly going to try riding with her. did you guys have the throttle screws in most of the way or not bother? i know when i was a younger fella we never had them.

Last edited by tHeKiNgMaN; 04-19-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Expert Class

My son started on a 50 at age 3...he couldn't ride a bike...so we took him to a school yard with a wide open field...

The first thing I did was say go...and STOP!!!!! he didn't get to move more than 2 feet until he understood what and how the brakes worked.
After 10 minutes or so..I let him go 10' or so and then STOP!...we did this all day until DAD finally trusted him to roll around on his own in 1st.

Even then we practice the STOP every 30 seconds or so...it's the most important thing to teach them.

I have a video clip I can send you if you want to see it ....I almost forgot how small he was
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtwell
My son started on a 50 at age 3...he couldn't ride a bike...so we took him to a school yard with a wide open field...

The first thing I did was say go...and STOP!!!!! he didn't get to move more than 2 feet until he understood what and how the brakes worked.
After 10 minutes or so..I let him go 10' or so and then STOP!...we did this all day until DAD finally trusted him to roll around on his own in 1st.

Even then we practice the STOP every 30 seconds or so...it's the most important thing to teach them.

I have a video clip I can send you if you want to see it ....I almost forgot how small he was
that would be cool man just click my name to send.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I think the most important thing is that she rides because SHE wants to, not because Daddy wants her to. If she feels she is riding because you want her to, it will become more of a chore then a sport/ fun activity. IMO, i wouldnt even ask her if she wants to go riding. Let her come to you. Or say "Daddy is going riding, and youre welcome to join me." The MOST important thing is that its fun. If she likes riding on youre bike, take her out on it when she gets frustrated. There is NO need to push her- you have 18 years for her to get right. If it takes her a YEAR for her to let you let go, so be it. Pushing her now could ruin any interest she has in the future. At 6 years old, her motocross career is least important. Patience is a virtue, and if you want to ride with her in the future- hang on to the bike for her.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Intermediate Class

i hear ya SirFallsALot243 and trust me i dont push her she rides with me more than i ride by myself we have only tried once this year and since the quads were there she took the easier of the two. also i dont think mom will be around for the next ride,she's afraid of being afraid i think. lol
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFallsALot243
I think the most important thing is that she rides because SHE wants to, not because Daddy wants her to. If she feels she is riding because you want her to, it will become more of a chore then a sport/ fun activity. IMO, i wouldnt even ask her if she wants to go riding. Let her come to you. Or say "Daddy is going riding, and youre welcome to join me." The MOST important thing is that its fun. If she likes riding on youre bike, take her out on it when she gets frustrated. There is NO need to push her- you have 18 years for her to get right. If it takes her a YEAR for her to let you let go, so be it. Pushing her now could ruin any interest she has in the future. At 6 years old, her motocross career is least important. Patience is a virtue, and if you want to ride with her in the future- hang on to the bike for her.

Well put Sirfalsalot!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Pro Class

I have been working with four of our five children on this and I find teaching them to ride the CRF50 to be alot of fun. Since adults often take for granted the unconscious processes involved in riding a motorcycle, I broke it down into the following "units" that the children need to master in order to successfully (and safely) ride the motorcycle. They are as follows:

1. Throttle Control: That is the first step. You don't move and you don't stop very well if you don't know how to control the throttle. And unfortunately, most little kid has whiskey throttle and hold it wide open when they panic.

I just sit on the back of the motorcycle and explain how the throttle works. They don't have to think about brakes or anything else at this point--only on opening and closing the throttle. I put my hand forward of the throttle grip on the bar so that their hand is the only one holding the throttle. Then we do little drills -- "Go;" "stop;" "faster;" "slower." I mention they have whiskey throttle because inevitably they will fly across the field with the throttle wide open in first gear. But this also teaches them to listen to the engine in their approach to throttle control, as it is wound out to its maximum rpm and is uncomfortable on the ears.

2. Brakes: This is second because by now they know how to begin stopping by letting up on the throttle and coasting. I am still on the back of the bike, but now my leg is off the right peg and they have to learn to use the foot break (rear) as well as then combine it with the hand brake (front). Same kind of drills as above until braking becomes an unconscious habit.

3. Gear Changing and Downshifting: The CRF50 is clutchless, otherwise that would be part of this step as well. But by now they have throttle control, can stop with brakes, so there is no reason why they cannot learn to pick up the speed some by choosing higher gears and then learning to downshift.

Balance is not something I can teach them while sitting on the back of the motorcycle, so the ability to balance a bicycle and ride it is prerequisite to this "course." My youngest children, however, are still learning the above skills prior to knowing how to balance, but I will not allow them to ride the motorcycle alone until they master and demonstrate proficiency in balancing and riding a bicycle, which the older ones already do well.

Following the approach outlined above, there is no no need for training wheels. They wouldn't help us anyway, as most of our property is off-camber and they would just fall over with training wheels anyway.

I too do not "force" them to do anything they are uncomfortable with. . . it is voluntary. If they do not wish to ride at all, that is fine. But interestingly, they all really want to ride and particularly love riding with me.

I hope this hands-on approach proves helpful in some way to you.

Last edited by DCox; 04-20-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Intermediate Class

When I taught our son how to ride we started in a big open area on a Honda Z50

We started out by teaching him how all the controls on th bike worked. Then I sat on the back of the bike with him in front and we rode around. I was operating the throttle with him hanging on to it as well. After a little while I started to hang onto the cross bar on the handle bars and let him work the throttle. Once I felt that he was doing well enough on his own that I didn't have to give him any more pointers, I just stood up and got off the bike and away he went on his own.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCox
I have been working with four of our five children on this and I find teaching them to ride the CRF50 to be alot of fun....

good post dude thanks for the advice!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:20 AM
ATM! Addict

I have shown some kids how to ride (mine never asked until he was 9). They learn at way different paces it seems. One thing that seemed to get them familiar is to take the foot pegs off and just let them push the bike around,,glide,,coast steer it,,then let them do it while the engine is running,,,then let them put it in gear when they want to. This seems to work on the ones who are not too agressive to start with.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Expert Class

I have three kids, 11, 7 & 3. The eleven year old did not start riding until she was about 8. She had her bicycle mastered with no training wheels so it was not hard to get her started, she had issues with brakes and stopping. The idea of talking it over with them in depth helps, if your calm and patient they will be as well. A large open area helps. My seven year old daughter is thinking about it still. She rides her bike with no problems and has for a while but she is nervous so I just tell her to let me know when she is ready. My 3 year old is HELL BENT on getting on that 50 ASAP. Thats all he talks about is when he is a big boy he gets to ride.

The WIFE: Not much I can say here, my wife quit riding years ago after a bad get off over the bars at a local MX track, so she has the direct experience to reflect on when seeing one of her babies riding. Our agreed rule is when they can ride their bicycles without training wheels they can have a dirt bike. She rides a quad these days but has been to the local shop recently to look at bikes again.

Whiskey throttle: Yes it occurs and its very hard to watch them the first time they panic, and YES it will happen. Our oldest hit a fence and the only damage was bent bars, fender and attitude for a few days.

My girls did not warm up to the idea like my son has, it took a little longer with them, probably because mommy was not really excited about it like daddy. Just take it a little slower with them.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeKiNgMaN
good post dude thanks for the advice!!!
Glad it was of some help. I apologize it was so long though . . . .

I was going to let the kids learn by simple trial and error (how I learned, though I was a bit older), but the first time I took the oldest out and she got "whiskey throttle" I immediately knew three things were very likely to happen:

1. They were going to crash--in some cases pretty hard (a little Honda 50cc can still go pretty fast tapped out in first gear)

2. They might become unnecessarily frightened by crashing in this manner--at least in the preliminary stages--and their enthusiasm might be seriously dampened. No enthusiasm on their part = no future trail rides with all the kids (and hopefully my wife too).

3. My wife's support for our little "hobby" would quickly start to erode as her mother's instincts took over and she (and I) had to minister to a hurt and crying child.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Intermediate Class

Well its a monumental day in riding for my family!!!!
Not only did the girl take her first solo run today but i even got the wife to give it a go and she just loved it to!!! My girl wouldn't stop asking me when we could go next, I just knew once she tried it once she would love it!
Anyway just wanted to thank all you guys who dropped hints and tips to get me where i am today.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips