All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Novice Class

Default A ridders progression?

I been on my cr250 for a year now. I have been to the mx track about 5 or six times the rest of my time ridding trails and open area. Where do you think my progrssion should be at or for your typical ridder with a year of seat time. I know this is hard to say depending on the ridder, just ball park here. As far as jumping what kinds of jumps and turns and speed?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: A ridders progression?

I can't really answer your question but I will offer this. It's been my experience that "progression" comes in spurts. It's like one day something just clicks and you progress in a certain skill. This, in turn, allows you to hit the next step in a few other skills. There may be a dry spell for a bit where you don't really seem to gain any more speed but then one day something clicks again. Hope that makes sense.
As for where you should be on a track? If you've only been on a track 5 or 6 times in a year don't expect too much of yourself. Tracks are sneaky. Take baby steps and make LOTS of laps. LOTS of laps. Body position is extremely important when learning to jump.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Beginner Class

start think about u first contest. Staying in the woods doesnt help anybody
Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Intermediate Class

There is really no one size fits all answer for how long it should take you to progress as a rider.
Everyone advances at a different rate.
If you want to get better at jumps and turns, spend more time on the track and less time in the woods.
Take me for example, after riding about 2 months (riding MX one day a week) I was able to clear 60' jumps pretty easily and felt pretty confident.
It all varies from person to person, so dont use my example as a guide of where you should be at in terms of riding skill. Just do your best and have fun.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Beginner Class

alot has to do with what you like personally i can hold my own on a trail ride but put me on a track and most novices would blow past me, you will advance at you own rate diffrent from everyone elses. Try not to concern yourself with new tallents as much as haveing fun.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips