All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Cool A picture tells what's wrong

Okay here is an easy way to correct yourself or your childs bad riding habits. My son has been riding Gumby to say the least since he broke his ankle, so we have to start again and get him back to where he was before, Smooth!
Here is a classic example of what i mean, blasting berms at the local track, that i took yesterday. His mate is on the suzuki, and my son the kaw'i.

Okay, all in all thats a preety good example of how to ride a berm fast, the thing i look at there is, the angle of the bike and rider is just nice, it's not to upright and not laid over to far, his leg is out front and not touching the ground, although he could point the toe just a little more maybe. And he has rode the whole berm in one motion there's no chopping off early or braking and going again. I'd score that as 8/10 but correct me if i'm wrong

Well you can see the big differance between the two, My son's entry into the berm has it laid over to much i think, and his left leg is not out front, which then causes the leg to dig in, which in turn now makes him unable to turn the bike properly, resulting in chopping the berm off instead of riding the whole corner in one motion. Bike bogs down and momentem is lost resulting in lost time and distance. The last shot was on a right hander, and the same result. So this week we go back to practicing slow corner drills and all that boring stuff and then work up to getting the smoothness right and the speed
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: A picture tells what's wrong

i like your sons style, its aggresive, charging hard into the berm. his friend has a good style too. i think they are both sufficient as long as they stay consistent and comfortable in turns, and when they stay consistent with their styles theyll get quicker and quicker over time IMO. cool pics!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
ATM Contributor!

Nice pics Pete.

I can relate to that, I found myself riding in awkward positions yesterday and just trying to be smooth while riding. My style tends to be gun and run which can be used effectively but it takes alot less effort to be smooth.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Pete:

There is nothing wrong with laying the bike over in that berm, it's just going to give you a different line!

The only problem is that your son didn't keep his foot above the dirt & pointed in front of the handle bars thus causing it to dig in & throw him off balance. Pic #3
Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Maico 393 View Post
Pete:

There is nothing wrong with laying the bike over in that berm, it's just going to give you a different line!

The only problem is that your son didn't keep his foot above the dirt & pointed in front of the handle bars thus causing it to dig in & throw him off balance. Pic #3
Thanks Maico, yes the darn foot brings him unstuck all the time
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Great example/sample of how to and how not to.

I imagine I'll looke similar to your son once I get back on the bike after a year lay off.

Keep on him and as I'm sure you already know, sometimes you just have to go slow to go fast. Technique in the long run WILL pay off (as you already know).
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Beginner Class

Not to change the subject here, but... What are the slow corner drills you want him to run. I could use them to help my boy, OK, mostly to help me. Any way, could you tell me the drills, how to set them up and how to run them. Our group has a family day set up for this weekend and the kids (and me) could use some controlled practice.

Thanks.
John in Vegas
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I can't help much with bike "style" but them are some DARN good shots
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj0llll0 View Post
Not to change the subject here, but... What are the slow corner drills you want him to run. I could use them to help my boy, OK, mostly to help me. Any way, could you tell me the drills, how to set them up and how to run them. Our group has a family day set up for this weekend and the kids (and me) could use some controlled practice.

Thanks.
John in Vegas
The basic drills are very slow tight circles, left and right or figure 8. As for the correct body position, the basics are inside leg up and pointed towards the front, try and point the toe slighty, the outside elbow should be high, and the head position favouring the outside and over the handlebars. If you are looking at this on a regular basis with the kids, you should get in a coach with a group of you or find videos like these i have linked. But i prefer the coaching so they learn the right way straight up, good luck
VI#2 Motocross MX Technique How To Training DVD from Gary Semics MX School Inc.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Beginner Class

thanks. I will look into that.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips