All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Intermediate Class

Default More riding tips: Jumping

Jumping requires four key factors: Body Position, Bike Setup, Timing and Throttle and Clutch Control.

1) Check the jump before you hit it! Walk up to the jump and take a look at the ruts and lip of the jump. If the jump has a big lip and small amount of length it will most likely kick your back and high. You will have to move you body position back to make up for this.

2) Body Position The idea body position is to have your weight centered, knees and elbows bent, and your eyes focused ahead.

3) Landing Attitude Where landings are flat it is usually best to land with both wheels at the same time. At greater speed some prefer to land with the front wheel last. The rear being about 6 inches lower then the front. This can reduce the effect of headshake and the front wheel washing out. On jumps with better landings most land the opposite.

4) Tabletops These are basically like a double only a lot less dangerous because coming up short isn’t near as bad. Again, you should work you way up. Jump a quarter of it, then half, then once you start “bouncing” off the end you should start thinking about clearing it. Jumping front wheel high or low is all about rider preference.

5) Doubles You have to be careful on these jumps. The penalty for under jumping one of these can be harsh and painful. Once you get the courage up to jump it, it is better to go too fast then to slow. If your going to do it you got to do 100%

6) Triples Triples are much the same as doubles. Try over jumping the double until you feel ready to go for it. Once your ready give it 100%!

7) Step Ups These are like an elevated double. The take off of the jump is lower then the landing. These require 100% as well. If there is a step up coming out a corner you may want to use the “seat pump” skill.

8) Kickers These are tricky little sun of a guns that have the tendency to throw you, the rider, over the handlebars. Depending on the severity of the jump you will have to lean waaaaaay back and be on the throttle all the way through, don’t stop half way through. This will cause you to be kicked even more

9) Seat Bump This is used to get more preload on the suspension to go higher and farther then standing up. Basically all you do is hit the jump sitting down. It is especially useful when there is a jump coming out of a corner Be careful with this though, sometimes it can kick your back end up pretty high.

10) Airborne Adjustments There are a few different ways to change the position of the bike in the air. You can “man handle” the bike by pushing the handlebars forward or lean to the back of the bike. If your back end is kicked high you can rev the motor to bring wheel back down (panic revving) or if the front end is kicked high you can hit the back brake. (you may need to pull the clutch in first)

11) Whips Many beginner rides try to whip but all that they end up doing is turning the handlebars. That’s because you have to set up for a whip Before the Jump. You have to turn, lean, and whip it as you are just leaving the ground. If you are having troubles straightening your bike out it is probably because you aren’t in the center of balance in your bike. There are benefits to whips too. You can line up for a corner after the jump. Here is a site that will give you better instruction: http://www.adbmag.com/html/pages/riding/arch/whip.html

Pay attention to how Reed keeps his body centered as he is bringing back the whip.

Well I hope now you will be able to jump a lot better now. Keep you head up and have fun!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:03 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: More riding tips: Jumping

Thanks for that.

The link to the ADB site doesn't work.

I would think that page is long gone as it is pretty old (3+years) and the ADB is waay different now.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:21 AM
ATM! Addict

Paying close attention but....................Shhhh don't tell anybody I am secretly trying to get better before a certain race in Oct.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Thanks for sharing again... the best advise is practice.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Intermediate Class

This is good info. When learning to jump my bike I found one of the most important things I had to continously tell myself as approaching the jump was keep my elbows up, head up and BE READY to make adjustments. It sounds easy but if you launch front wheel high and are not ready for it, you can end up really off balance and then its really hard to correct. I don't want to complicate things but tapping the front brake to bring down the front end works great for me and I do not have to worry about the clutch. Why does no one ever mention the front brake? Again, good info.

Last edited by Reuel; 06-21-2005 at 02:21 PM.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips