All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Expert Class

Default Re: clutch use or abuse

XRs are trail bikes and are not designed to hold up to racing style abuse like a motocross machine..

The 150 is suppose to be a motocross machine and slipping the clutch is normal for racing and going fast...

Watch and listen to the pros when they ride.. especially RC,, he slips the clutch constantly, even on the big 450 4-strokes, they don't necessarily rev real high when they slip the clutch because they have more control than the average rider,.. If pros start to bog they slip the clutch, if they over accellerate and lose traction they often slip the clutch rather than let off on the throttle. Matter of fact they usually use the clutch only for slipping (other than starting and stopping) because they don't use the clutch for shifting.

I use to ride a 125 2-stroke, and at 195lbs I slipped the clutch a lot. I had to replace the clutch once in 3 years.

The only difference between the 150 and 150 expert is the size of the wheels.

To start cornering faster try standing the whole way around.. Not fully up, but weight on balls of both feet and behind slightly off the seat, This will give you a better feel for the bike.. The reason racers on motocross tracks do not do this is because they are trying to corner at or near 100% so they slide as far forward as possible and put their inside foot out near the front wheel.. This is not to catch themselves, although some times they do, but more to put as much weight on the front tire as possible to keep front traction at speed.

Hare Scrambles, and Enduro racers run much longer races so do not push 100% the whole way, they try to run 80% and usually corner standing.

As far as slipping the clutch you shouldn't pull it, rev and dump it.. you should use one or two fingers on the clutch and pull it just enough to slip a little so the engine does not bog then start letting back out slowly while keeping a steady throttle.. I know easier said than done.

As far as bike set up,, setting race sag (as said before) makes a big difference.. measure the distance from rear axle to top of seat with the shock fully extended (usually up on a stand so the rear wheel is hanging) travel on the 150 is 10.8 inches,, so with you standing on the pegs (someone holding the bike for you and someone else measuring) the distance from the rear axle to the seat should be 3.5 inches less then the first measurement.

once that is set,, compression dampening should be so that on the biggest bumps or jumps you do the shock just barely bottoms.. for most non-racers this is pretty soft. Rebound damping should be start with when pushing the seat down it comes back up a little slower than how fast you can push it down.. When riding if the back end seems to want to come up off jumps you need more dampening,,

Front fork adjustments,, compression should be about the same as the rear.,, rebound you can tell by how the bike reacts in the corners,, if when hitting bumps in a corner the front seems to want to drift out you need more dampening, if it seems to want to turn in it needs less.

Last edited by HiG4s; 01-14-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Ok, now that I am a little more familiar with your riding style, I'll add a couple of things:

1) Work on these things one at a time.
2) I suggest weighting the outside peg be the first one you work on, because it makes the biggest difference imop. But the order really isn't very important, but I'd just take them one at time.

However, that doesn't mean you can't practice all of them every time you go out riding. Just don't try and do them all at the same time. Typically, I break them up, do weighting of the outside peg, for a couple laps, then I'll forget that and concentrate on something else. Before long, all of them will happen automatically. You just have to train yourself to have good form and before long, you'll be hauling.

Now, with that said, one thing I didn't mention is that when you weight the outside peg, you should slide your rear end so it's half way off the seat in the direction of the outside peg. If you are in a rut, this doesn't work, but everywhere else you should be doing this. You'll see a lot of pro shots from behind, and notice that their rear end is half way off the seat. This helps a TON for that feeling of the bike wanting to stand up. Not to mention it helps keep traction. If you do this correctly, you'll know it. You will feel faster, and you'll feel more in control because you will be.

Also, I don't think the looking to the end of the corner means that you have to look at the end of the corner exactly. The key is to look ahead. If you look ahead, you will automatically go there. It's funny how you will go where you are looking. Ever see something you don't want to hit? And you keep watching it trying to avoid it? Well, if you keep watching it, chances are you'll hit it right? Same thing applies here. If you look forward (meaning to the next obstacle or whatever) you'll go there. So turn you head and look for the next obstacle. that's what I do, as it's a lot further away, and since when learning this technique we tend to fixate on whatever it is we choose to look at, so the end of the corner never worked for me personally. so I don't recommend using it.

I would also suggest, rather then dumping the clutch, use it to modulate your speed. Meaning, give it some, but not all, give it more when it feels like you need more. I also wouldn't dump it unless you are straight up, and have a straight line shot to the next obstacle.

Hope that helps. This corning business is a tough cookie, but learning to do it right is paramount IMOP to all else if you want to be fast.

Remember, you have to go slow to go fast.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Great! I think I can handle practicing these things. I guess I should be in 1st when I corner to make sure I go slow while practicing. I did try sitting closer to the tank in the corners, didn’t really make a difference. Going off the seat to the outside is something that happens naturally. I never thought of sliding back a bit. I need to think more about what I am doing in the corners when I ride. I never paid attention to my position. Just doing what it takes to go fast as I can and hold the heck on while doing it.

Ok look to next obstacle. Got it!

As far as the clutch, It feels like I use it to modulate my speed. I don’t rev the engine beyond the point where the clutch is grabbing. Make any sense?

Let me think how to explain…. I enter turn with cluch pulled in, I keep the rpms reved 1/2 way to top . At the apex then I begin to let clutch out, and just when it starts to grab (trem?), at that very point I release the clutch at the exact same rate I give the gas, simultaneously. (Only in the corners)
The throttle and clutch work I do are in sink w/each other. It’s a slower release compared to other times I use it, but the bike is accelerating at the rate I give throttle, not just higher RPMs. The bike feels more responsive when I do this.
By the time my clutch is completely released, I am at the top of 2nd exiting the corner, ready to shift. (Unless I mess up) I really don’t think much about it. This is what feels the most natural and where I think I have the most control. Using or not using the clutch any other way in the corner feels foreign and is very distracting to me.

My husband has already adjusted the sag on my bike.

But the compression dampening, and the front forks I don’t think are adjustable on my bike. I don’t have a problem with the back end coming up off the jumps. So I guess its fine. If these can be adjusted, let me know.

I could use a softer (or is it stiffer? term issue again) landing. My knees and elbows are taking quite a bit of the shock. I use up all the travel in the front when I land.
That’s a whole other thread in itself

All this is so helpful to me. I want to thank everyone for all the great suggestions

Last edited by mxmama393; 01-14-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmama View Post
I could use a softer (or is it stiffer? term issue again) landing. My knees and elbows are taking quite a bit of the shock.
Thatís a whole other thread in itself
Yes it is. But I'm thinking you are going to need a true MX bike before long. You can gain all your basic skills on the 150F, but it sounds to me like you are close to riding it to it's limit. I vote for continuing to perfect your technique and when you move up, you'll be in a whole new world.
Just remember, the faster you go, the worse it hurts when you crash.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Yes, the crashing sux! I have learned to hold on better. When I rode yrs ago, if I lost any control I freaked out, gave up, and wiped out. Now I hold the heck on, and give it more gas. Seems to pull me through most of the time.

Yet, this is why I am wondering if another bike is or isn't a good idea. Suspension a great thing... more speed probably = more crashing
Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Oh yeah...I wanted to comment about this

Quote:
It's funny how you will go where you are looking. Ever see something you don't want to hit? And you keep watching it trying to avoid it? Well, if you keep watching it, chances are you'll hit it right?

This is so true! Great advice!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Ok...NEW QUESTION HERE

I just did a few laps slow weighting the outside peg. When I concentrate on that I notice my body alignment is more straight up (or feels that way) while just the bike is leaning into the turn.

Is this correct? It feels fine, just different that what I have been doing.
I usually feel like I am lined up with what ever the bike does, when it leans, I lean too. Or I have been using my body to lean the bike over. Usually sitting on the seat.

So, should the bike be leaning into the turn more than my body is. Basically feels like I'm using by body as a counterweight.

I stopped to come in and ask before I become too comfortable doing it. Especially if its incorrect.

Last edited by mxmama393; 01-14-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmama View Post
So, should the bike be leaning into the turn more than my body is. Basically feels like I'm using by body as a counterweight.
That's pretty much how it's suppose to be. It helps to actually sit on the corner of the seat. At the risk of sounding vulgar, just plant your butt crack on the corner of the seat and let the bike lean over while you stay more upright. And while you're weighting the outside peg, push on the shroud with your knee. It's just a little thing that helps your bike go where you're looking. (at the exit)
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thank God!

I went out and rode a little more, and I am thinking maybe I depended on the clutch to make up what I lacked in form.Someone once told me to lean my body into the turns.

Shifting my weight to the outside, I found myself cruising through the turns with out even touching the clutch! Pulled all the way through no problem at all. Even went in the conner at higher speed and just maintained it. MUCH MUCH EASIER!!! I am amazed!
I am not nearly as dependent on the clutch. Although its a bit more of a work out!!!! My arms are screaming!

Excellent!!!! A+ to all of you

Last edited by mxmama393; 01-14-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiG4s View Post
As far as bike set up,, setting race sag (as said before) makes a big difference.. measure the distance from rear axle to top of seat with the shock fully extended (usually up on a stand so the rear wheel is hanging) travel on the 150 is 10.8 inches,, so with you standing on the pegs (someone holding the bike for you and someone else measuring) the distance from the rear axle to the seat should be 3.5 inches less then the first measurement.
The way you figure this is 1/3rd of total shock travel. So if it's 9" then you want 3" of sag. Great info HiG4s.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips