All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: Air braking, nose down

I too have an opinion

Last night (when riding) I was doing the exact same thing. So I don't have a fix for you, although, (thanks to you video), I think I know what I was doing wrong (applies to you as well).

I think we are both getting forward too late. I think we are both standing up too much too (meaning we need to hunch over some, instead of standing almost straight up).

If you notice, right at the lip, you move forward again, and start to stand up straight by the time you leave the lip.

I think the cause is that we don't quite dare to get forward as much as we should, so instead of moving our head forward, we move our rear end forward (hence the standing up).

I won't get to test this theory for another 2 weeks, but if it works for you let me know.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Class

I also had these jumping problems once, and if you think about what your doing wrong too much you tend to lose your confidense. I did. You just have to get past it, the key is to keep trying.
Practice makes perfect.

Try relaxing more, you look kinda'.. rigid (if that's the word) in the clip.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Intermediate Class

i see in the video that when you are trying to correct the looping out you move your hips and butt forward. what you should do is get the top half of your body and lean over the handlebars. try that without tapping the brake. another thing is try seat bouncing the jump. you should already be up on the from coming out of the turn and just right as ur coming up the face scoot your body to the back of the seat. once u do this it will shoot your body forward so ur not gunna loop out.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Pro Class

Okay, I have a question or thought on this situation..

Can too much rebound in the forks be a factor? In other words...maybe they are rebounding too quick or hard as the front wheel leaves the jump and and its causing the front end to kick up? I know it can be a factor in the rear..causing the rear end to kick up on a jump. Can the same apply to the front? Just a thought...

Ooops. Garasaki mentioned that in his post. Sorry.

Last edited by Kenny400; 08-04-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Try speeding up the rebound on the shock. If you have too much rebound the back of the bike won't rebound enough to level the bike and you will have to work twice as hard to push the front end down.

I like to seat bounce jumps so I can land on the downside. Seat bouncing loads the shock and standing up as you leave the lip of the jump unloads the shock and helps rotate the bike forward so you can land on the downside with the power on. That was a hard, hard trick for an old-school rider to learn. With the suspensions of the 70's and 80's, we were taught to land with the front wheel 6 inches above the rear on all kinds of jumps. Hard habit to break.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 AM
ATM Contributor!

I think, for that particular jump/situation you can actually take-off from the ramp in a better position. I say this from the way you approach the jump. I don't know about anyone else, but when there is time to get your speed up, like in your jump here, I accelerate as early as possible so that I have more than enough speed as I get closer, then I roll-off or chop the throttle on the up-ramp so that the bike automatically evens itself out and sometimes goes nose down automatically.
I notice you accelerate well and then let off before jump face then get back on it as soon as you are about to take-off. Keep on the throttle til jump face then smoothly ease it off.

There are so many variable though, for each individual. Also, is your suspension balanced? I say this because once when my bike was unbalanced it would do the exact thing you are doing. Maybe the rebound is too slow on the back?

Hope this helps !
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 AM
ATM Contributor!

Oops, I didn't read this page's repsonses and see that others have said about the rebound. Sorry.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Intermediate Class

its ok stupid, i mean ya its ight man lol.

Just another pointer if you over shoot a jump:

if you over shoot a jump try landing on ur front wheele. i know alot of ppl say land on ur back wheele. well if you land on ur front wheele it absorbs ALOT of the impact. ive over shotin a jump and landed flat at least three times now and this jump shoots u a good 15ft at LEAST off the ground and i landed on my front wheele (and trust me it wasn't nearly as bad as landing rear wheele first). when u land rear wheele first ur front end slams down and that hurts.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:29 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxSean393
its ok stupid, i mean ya its ight man lol.

Just another pointer if you over shoot a jump:

if you over shoot a jump try landing on ur front wheele. i know alot of ppl say land on ur back wheele. well if you land on ur front wheele it absorbs ALOT of the impact. ive over shotin a jump and landed flat at least three times now and this jump shoots u a good 15ft at LEAST off the ground and i landed on my front wheele (and trust me it wasn't nearly as bad as landing rear wheele first). when u land rear wheele first ur front end slams down and that hurts.
BUt wouldn't just landing with both wheels at the same time absorb the most shock?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Intermediate Class

then you bottom out unless u have stiff suspension set up for free-style or supercross. and doing that would hurt worse then either of those.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Riding Tips