All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

     
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Last Online: 02-26-2012 07:13 PM
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 9
Default Kick start stuck on crf450r

I was looking at used bikes and I could get a really good deal on a 2004 crf450r, the only problem he says is that the kick start is stuck and won't work, is this something I can fix if I buy it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
ddayaug's Avatar
Novice Class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Last Online: 07-17-2014 11:13 PM
Location: oregon
Posts: 78
Default

depends on why its sticking can you bump start the bike to make sure the motor is running and not the cause of a stuck kicker
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Last Online: 02-26-2012 07:13 PM
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddayaug View Post
depends on why its sticking can you bump start the bike to make sure the motor is running and not the cause of a stuck kicker
the guy said the kick start is just locked up, he hasn't tried bump starting it, so I might stop by and take a look to see if it can though, thanks (I really know nothing about dirtbike components just how to ride)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
ATM! Pro Class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Last Online: Today 02:17 AM
Location: Benton, LA
Posts: 3,637
Default Be careful!

Crf450R have been known to break the case when the kick starter breaks.
I would want to look inside before I bought this one.

Paw Paw
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Ads
  #5  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Last Online: 02-26-2012 07:13 PM
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Crf450R have been known to break the case when the kick starter breaks.
I would want to look inside before I bought this one.

Paw Paw
what could be wrong with the engine that could make the kick start stick?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
qkenuf4u's Avatar
Novice Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Last Online: 12-05-2012 09:31 PM
Location: SUNNY WARM BIKE RIDING LAKE HAVASU !!!!
Posts: 93
Default

is it stuck in the DOWN position or wont move from the upright position ?????? if its stuck in the upright position then it may be locked up (crank/piston)

i dont think i would want to start the bike till i get the kickstart back into the upright position.... the way it engages the motor may cause it to jam and REALLY brake the case around the kick starter. broke my yz465 cases when the kickstart spring broke and allowed the kickstart to go DOWN thru its stroke..

could just be the spring is broken inside or the clutch backet gear/kickstart gear are jammed together for some reason.... ya really need to pull it apart and just figure out whats broke before ya buy....

get it apart and then you can make sure the crank/trans turns while its apart...

you could try getting it to turn over by using the rear wheel by hand in 5th gear .....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Last Online: 02-26-2012 07:13 PM
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkenuf4u View Post
is it stuck in the DOWN position or wont move from the upright position ?????? if its stuck in the upright position then it may be locked up (crank/piston)

i dont think i would want to start the bike till i get the kickstart back into the upright position.... the way it engages the motor may cause it to jam and REALLY brake the case around the kick starter. broke my yz465 cases when the kickstart spring broke and allowed the kickstart to go DOWN thru its stroke..

could just be the spring is broken inside or the clutch backet gear/kickstart gear are jammed together for some reason.... ya really need to pull it apart and just figure out whats broke before ya buy....

get it apart and then you can make sure the crank/trans turns while its apart...

you could try getting it to turn over by using the rear wheel by hand in 5th gear .....
he says its stuck in the upright position, btw he lowered the price from 1800 to 1600, I really don't know anything about how to fix dirtbikes, so if I bought it I'd probably send it in to my Honda shop, does anyone have any idea how much it'd cost if it was the worst situation?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
qkenuf4u's Avatar
Novice Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Last Online: 12-05-2012 09:31 PM
Location: SUNNY WARM BIKE RIDING LAKE HAVASU !!!!
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh k View Post
does anyone have any idea how much it'd cost if it was the worst situation?
could be crank is done, could be piston is locked up, could be a dropped valve or two, could be kickstart mech is toast could be LOTS AND LOTS of things...

it could be a couple hundred bucks to a $1000+... no way of knowing till ya tear it apart and inspect it,find whats broken/jammed up... could be a very simple fix or a very BIG fix..... low ball the crap outta him with CASH IN HAND and see if he bites....

its gonna be $$ if the shops have to fix it whether its a simple fix or not..

good luck
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Novice Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Last Online: 07-11-2013 06:13 AM
Location: WA, Australia
Posts: 64
Default

almost 8 year 4-stroke, seized kickstart, questionable history (hrs?)..

hmmm, i really dont think it is worth the heartache on this one. once you break those cases open, deep pockets are needed in any event.

for the dough, surely you could find a decent 2-stroke?

if you really must have it, perhaps enlist a mechanic to have a look for a small $ fee - i know that there are mechanics here who do pre-buy inspections, perhaps you can find someone who does that for motorbikes?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda


Bookmarks

Tags
crf450r, honda, kick start problem

Thread Tools


Similar Threads for: Kick start stuck on crf450r
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will bump start easy , but wont kick start coyoteTim 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda 11 04-14-2010 11:56 PM
Kick start merky 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda 5 12-24-2008 11:13 AM
Hot start plunger stuck. coss 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda 3 07-27-2008 02:19 PM
Won't Kick Start But Will Bump Start RoostRM125 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums 38 02-22-2008 05:06 PM
kick start help jambo 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha 3 01-13-2008 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Portal Forums Photo Gallery Popular Tags RSS Feeds

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright ©2002-2014, JDub Consulting, Inc. All Right Reserved.