All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM
JOATMON

Default Help me, I have an illness

I just picked up this project:

It's an 01 XR400, stock other than the FMF silencer, Mikuni TM36 pumper carb and a dual sport/street legal kit. Currently not running but hoping to resolve that soon! The next big step is getting the buggered up and very stuck drain plug out of the frame.

I truly and honestly needed this like I need another hole in my head but... it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Just placed the first order for parts... let the fun begin!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Beginner Class

Is the drain plug rounded out?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 PM
novice

I would take engine out of frame put vice grips and take it out . THEN REPLACE THAT CASE half because most likely its striped out . I found out a heli coil is a crap shoot . i have same problem striped out oil plug hole. i put a heli coil in by a profesional and it still leaks trans oil. You have a bigger problem thats a 4 stroke but they are still alumnium cases. the shop in my area charges any where from 95 dollars to 130 per hour. splitting cases is new to me plus specialty tools like crank puller and caes septrator.My Yamaha yz 250 has a lot less to take apart.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

ON my Yamaha yz 250 with the threads fixed from a heli coil is there anything to try to stop it from leaking trans oil? Sorry if i jumped your post but it was along the same line.
Good luck it is an expensive fix. Post the out come what u did .
Im am thinking about removing helicoil and taping in new threads and putting in over sized drain plug ? the problem with that is what sized to use and where to get it . If i do that then flush cases or inside several times without taking it apart ? That draing plug is 12 m . Again good luck

Last edited by bjunior; 04-16-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Cowboy,

If you can get to the drain plug have a welder tack a piece of hex rod on teh center of the plug & remove it that way.

Also if the threads are striped use a time sert, they seem to work better then the Heli coil.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smokerman View Post
Is the drain plug rounded out?
Yes the drain plug in the frame down tube is rounded off and so far I've had no luck breaking it loose with various methods. I'm still holding out hope though!
bjunior, it's the drain plug in the frame not the one in the cases. I suspect the PO was unaware of the one in the cases as this bike seems to be very overfull on oil.
Big M, that is going to be the next option if I can find someone with a welder (or re-configure my 220 plug because someone decided they didn't need it and covered it up before I bought this place).
Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Beginner Class

I’d try getting ahold of it with a pair of vice grips and hit it precisely with a hammer. That’s if you can get some leverage on the actual plug
Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
novice

Hi if u cant get a grip on it with vice grips . Try drilling a hole in the head then using a left handed drill bit might work. I F ITS a big problem take it apart look into getting it electric discharged .I had a swing arm that had a broke tap in the chain adjuster it worked. good luck
Old 04-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Intermediate Class

Talking Sickness

I feel for you. I know the long dark path that leads to the Honda parts counter. LOL.....

Btw, that is probably one of the coolest and most fun bikes that Honda ever built. Like the Foster commercial..."She's a keeper!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUNe-1luyHM
Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Pro Class

Looks like a ton of fun
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 AM
JOATMON

I have tried almost everything to get that sucker to break loose, short of throwing it off a cliff and just grinding the bolt head off entirely. I started out by using a grinder to get flat spots on the bolt for vice grips or a crescent wrench, that didn't work. I tried again and put a little heat to the little pipe the bolt threads into, no joy. I tried driving a socket onto it, no joy. I used a hacksaw and cut a slot in it to use a screwdriver, still nope. I'm going to borrow some bolt extractors and left handed drills from a friend and try that, I'm not very hopeful they will work though. My guess is I will end up drilling it out and re-tapping the threads but we will see...

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
I feel for you. I know the long dark path that leads to the Honda parts counter. LOL.....

Btw, that is probably one of the coolest and most fun bikes that Honda ever built. Like the Foster commercial..."She's a keeper!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUNe-1luyHM
2 of my uncles and 2 of my cousins owned XR4's growing up, I've ridden them quite a bit and I agree, they are a hard bike to beat. I'm hoping this one will stick around for rides with the wife and kids, and to be used as a commuter. The wife thinks I'm going to sell it... silly woman.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda