All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_cox View Post
Hahahaha yea nothing like a good looking bike and nothing more annoying than trying to keep them spotless.
Actually it's like therapeutic for me. I'm sure lots of people don't feel this way, as I've learned lol but it's just like washing my truck or cutting the yard. I find tons of joy from making something look amazing. My dad is a hardcore musician. I think maybe it's my creative side getting some work in, but either way, I highly believe in hard work and just making something average - awesome.

Don't know if you've ever seen my truck but I must say she's a beaut as well. People literally can't even believe that it is a 1995. I've got a little landscape biz and I firmly believe it's also why I have a 100% customer return rate every year. Call me a perfectionist or whatever, but I very much enjoy it

I bet dogger and these other guys with immaculate machines feel the same.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Intermediate Class

Yip ive seen the pics of your truck and its in awesome condition. And people will see the type of work you put how when they see you rock up to a site looking all cleaned up and in good shape. They will know that if that's the pride and perfection you carry and look for in yourself they will know its what you will put into there work, and your work is there garden and they know that so they will def come back and want more done.

Love to see people with your work ethic. We def need more of them
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCR25098 View Post
Actually it's like therapeutic for me. I'm sure lots of people don't feel this way, as I've learned lol but it's just like washing my truck or cutting the yard. I find tons of joy from making something look amazing. My dad is a hardcore musician. I think maybe it's my creative side getting some work in, but either way, I highly believe in hard work and just making something average - awesome.

Don't know if you've ever seen my truck but I must say she's a beaut as well. People literally can't even believe that it is a 1995. I've got a little landscape biz and I firmly believe it's also why I have a 100% customer return rate every year. Call me a perfectionist or whatever, but I very much enjoy it

I bet dogger and these other guys with immaculate machines feel the same.
Its nice to hear people still taking their time and effort making something shine. You spend the money on it, might as well keep it clean.
Im this way as well.
I love shooting and wether its a range trip or just out on the property I completely break all the guns all down and CLEAN like theres no tomorrow. Like you said its kind of theraputic for me.
I spend a good majority of the day yesterday scraping crud off of my motor and cleaning all the little places that you wouldnt see the dirt anyway... but I still know its there. Between that and laying new mulch in the front of the house, I had a productive day...and something else to be proud of
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_cox View Post
Yip ive seen the pics of your truck and its in awesome condition. And people will see the type of work you put how when they see you rock up to a site looking all cleaned up and in good shape. They will know that if that's the pride and perfection you carry and look for in yourself they will know its what you will put into there work, and your work is there garden and they know that so they will def come back and want more done.

Love to see people with your work ethic. We def need more of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMachine View Post
Its nice to hear people still taking their time and effort making something shine. You spend the money on it, might as well keep it clean.
Im this way as well.
I love shooting and wether its a range trip or just out on the property I completely break all the guns all down and CLEAN like theres no tomorrow. Like you said its kind of theraputic for me.
I spend a good majority of the day yesterday scraping crud off of my motor and cleaning all the little places that you wouldnt see the dirt anyway... but I still know its there. Between that and laying new mulch in the front of the house, I had a productive day...and something else to be proud of
Yall are absolutely dead on point, and thank you tremendously for the kind words. It's nice to actually receive support for it rather than the typical "it's a DIRT bike, why keep it clean?" As if that is even an argument.

And you are right. When I first started cutting yards I put flyers out everywhere. Sure, I got some calls but what made me realize that advertising, marketing, and all that jazz is a crock is when I would pick up a house in a cove that I put a flyer at every house...I would do that one yard, and then once my work was displayed for everyone to see, the neighbors whom I left flyers would actually go out of their way to catch me when I came and hire me on the spot. Feels good. I won't ever change my ways whether it's lawn equipment, bike, truck, whatever. Thanks again yall.

OH, and guess what little bomb I just got dropped on me? So, you've read about me losing this friend because I had him lace my wheel and the offset is off, forcing the tire into the chain, correct?

Well, I just went and took it down to a real honest, reputable, dirt bike shop. Turns out the ****ing dumbass put the spokes in the wrong side. He cursed me out originally when I just told him it was rubbing, and haven't talked to him since. He said he'd return my money and I haven't seen it yet. Been 3 days now. Not only that, but this shop has to break the entire thing down and re-lace it, so NOW, I will have paid $150 to have it broken down and re-laced by this shop PLUS the $60 I originally paid the punk, PLUS all the $money to buy the freaking wheel, spokes, and wraps, AND new tire. I think that puts me around $400 something to have my rear wheel done.

At that price, I could have done BOTH front and rear wheels. I'm so mad at this kid, and he is already threatened ME, that I don't even want his bull$hit money, nor to ever speak to him again.

Guys, I will say this once. BE DAMN WELL AND SURE THAT WHOEVER YOU HAVE DO WORK FOR YOU KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING, AND ISN'T SECRETLY THE WORLD'S BIGGEST ******* WAITING TO EXPLODE ON YOU FOR THEIR MISTAKES.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Yall are absolutely dead on point, and thank you tremendously for the kind words. It's nice to actually receive support for it rather than the typical "it's a DIRT bike, why keep it clean?" As if that is even an argument.

And you are right. When I first started cutting yards I put flyers out everywhere. Sure, I got some calls but what made me realize that advertising, marketing, and all that jazz is a crock is when I would pick up a house in a cove that I put a flyer at every house...I would do that one yard, and then once my work was displayed for everyone to see, the neighbors whom I left flyers would actually go out of their way to catch me when I came and hire me on the spot. Feels good. I won't ever change my ways whether it's lawn equipment, bike, truck, whatever. Thanks again yall.

OH, and guess what little bomb I just got dropped on me? So, you've read about me losing this friend because I had him lace my wheel and the offset is off, forcing the tire into the chain, correct?

Well, I just went and took it down to a real honest, reputable, dirt bike shop. Turns out the ****ing dumbass put the spokes in the wrong side. He cursed me out originally when I just told him it was rubbing, and haven't talked to him since. He said he'd return my money and I haven't seen it yet. Been 3 days now. Not only that, but this shop has to break the entire thing down and re-lace it, so NOW, I will have paid $150 to have it broken down and re-laced by this shop PLUS the $60 I originally paid the punk, PLUS all the $money to buy the freaking wheel, spokes, and wraps, AND new tire. I think that puts me around $400 something to have my rear wheel done.

At that price, I could have done BOTH front and rear wheels. I'm so mad at this kid, and he is already threatened ME, that I don't even want his bull$hit money, nor to ever speak to him again.

Guys, I will say this once. BE DAMN WELL AND SURE THAT WHOEVER YOU HAVE DO WORK FOR YOU KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING, AND ISN'T SECRETLY THE WORLD'S BIGGEST ******* WAITING TO EXPLODE ON YOU FOR THEIR MISTAKES.
No joke man, thats terrible. I know the feeling.... My buddy used to be my honda shops head mechanic, even though Ive seen alot of botched jobs from him. I would rather pay the shop double for him to work on my quad than pay him at home .....well nothing, just a case of beer or a dinner. That way if and when he did screw something up I wasnt going after him and having the same thing happen that you just went through (I learned the hard way to but he ate the cost and everything was cool). Id just take it to the shop that way if something was wrong I went to the shop and said "hey this is wrong. Thats the problem with situations like that with friends and family..... try to help somebody out givin them a few under the table bucks and it comes back and bites you in the ***.

I have a right crank case gasket leak on my 02 cr and Ive had 2 friends say they would come and help me out with it, but id just rather take it to the shop and pay the labor rate because if it leaks, Ill just take it right back.....

Ive only had the bike now for 2 weeks, havent got to ride it much cause she leaks some oil but Ive been babying it more than my honda rubicon....thats worth 5 times as much haha..... and the rubis in the shop now getting warranty work done.....
I got the CR for something quick to ride when I get tired of the 4x4, and it sucks cause now my back up buggy is sick haha.
Thats why I spent part of the day cleaning it. I still need a good day to take all the plastic off and give it a thorough cleaning.....

Im wasnt that meticulous when it cam to my older bikes but being off of them for 10 years and now having one made me realize.....
WOW this thing is alot easier to maintain that my utility quad haha.

Good work man, and even though "its just a dirtbike" theres no scense letting it look like garbage....... Id take a clean 86 over a beat 06 anyday ya know.
I guess thats what growing up is all about.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
No joke man, thats terrible. I know the feeling.... My buddy used to be my honda shops head mechanic, even though Ive seen alot of botched jobs from him. I would rather pay the shop double for him to work on my quad than pay him at home .....well nothing, just a case of beer or a dinner. That way if and when he did screw something up I wasnt going after him and having the same thing happen that you just went through (I learned the hard way to but he ate the cost and everything was cool). Id just take it to the shop that way if something was wrong I went to the shop and said "hey this is wrong. Thats the problem with situations like that with friends and family..... try to help somebody out givin them a few under the table bucks and it comes back and bites you in the ***.

I have a right crank case gasket leak on my 02 cr and Ive had 2 friends say they would come and help me out with it, but id just rather take it to the shop and pay the labor rate because if it leaks, Ill just take it right back.....

Ive only had the bike now for 2 weeks, havent got to ride it much cause she leaks some oil but Ive been babying it more than my honda rubicon....thats worth 5 times as much haha..... and the rubis in the shop now getting warranty work done.....
I got the CR for something quick to ride when I get tired of the 4x4, and it sucks cause now my back up buggy is sick haha.
Thats why I spent part of the day cleaning it. I still need a good day to take all the plastic off and give it a thorough cleaning.....

Im wasnt that meticulous when it cam to my older bikes but being off of them for 10 years and now having one made me realize.....
WOW this thing is alot easier to maintain that my utility quad haha.

Good work man, and even though "its just a dirtbike" theres no scense letting it look like garbage....... Id take a clean 86 over a beat 06 anyday ya know.
I guess thats what growing up is all about.
Dingdingding! Exactly...Just a word of advice about taking the plastics off and stuff. First of all, when I first got my bike back I broke her down myself to learn everything about it, and I was simply amazed at how brilliantly simple they are to break down. I just make it part of my every ride ritual to break her down at least take the plastics off for thorough cleaning, including the gas tank for draining, and then the air filter for clean and re-oil. Once a month the carb is pulled for a nice cleaning also. Stuff anything with paper towels that is "open" like the reed boot, or the air filter side of the carb, if I take the boot off. I even will stuff the air filter boot, while it's off for cleaning and drape a towel over the seat. So much dust floating around in the garage that can't even be seen by the naked eye.

Anyway, point is, once you get used to breaking her down a little, it makes it simple as pie. Don't get me wrong, I'm real big on doing ALL my own work myself, especially mechanical. The things that I cannot do are wheel lacing, and suspension re-valving and stuff, but most anything and everything mechanical, I love to do.

There's something about torquing those bolts yourself, that makes it so full-filling. When I lay it into that berm at a good clip, I KNOW she's right, ya know.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Dingdingding! Exactly...Just a word of advice about taking the plastics off and stuff. First of all, when I first got my bike back I broke her down myself to learn everything about it, and I was simply amazed at how brilliantly simple they are to break down. I just make it part of my every ride ritual to break her down at least take the plastics off for thorough cleaning, including the gas tank for draining, and then the air filter for clean and re-oil. Once a month the carb is pulled for a nice cleaning also. Stuff anything with paper towels that is "open" like the reed boot, or the air filter side of the carb, if I take the boot off. I even will stuff the air filter boot, while it's off for cleaning and drape a towel over the seat. So much dust floating around in the garage that can't even be seen by the naked eye.

Anyway, point is, once you get used to breaking her down a little, it makes it simple as pie. Don't get me wrong, I'm real big on doing ALL my own work myself, especially mechanical. The things that I cannot do are wheel lacing, and suspension re-valving and stuff, but most anything and everything mechanical, I love to do.

There's something about torquing those bolts yourself, that makes it so full-filling. When I lay it into that berm at a good clip, I KNOW she's right, ya know.
Yep I know what you mean, Ive been off them so long I forget how to do it all. Heck I was 14 when I put a new top end in my 95 cr125 in my dads driveway. I had a shop manual and my dad and cat watching me do it .

I just ordered my manual for this one, and just like my tractor.... Ill sit down and read the stupid thing cover to cover. It makes life alot more easy when you dont have to rely on others......

My quads been in the shop now going on 2 weeks for a new pull start assembly..... they had the assembly a week ago and it takes maybe 20 minutes to put the new one back on. I like to ride that at night to get away from the wife time to time......and tonight looks like it would have been a perfect night with the mid 80s temp!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep I know what you mean, Ive been off them so long I forget how to do it all. Heck I was 14 when I put a new top end in my 95 cr125 in my dads driveway. I had a shop manual and my dad and cat watching me do it .

I just ordered my manual for this one, and just like my tractor.... Ill sit down and read the stupid thing cover to cover. It makes life alot more easy when you dont have to rely on others......

My quads been in the shop now going on 2 weeks for a new pull start assembly..... they had the assembly a week ago and it takes maybe 20 minutes to put the new one back on. I like to ride that at night to get away from the wife time to time......and tonight looks like it would have been a perfect night with the mid 80s temp!
Exactly. I paid a little over $200 for a fresh piston, 2 full gasket kits, boyesen pro dual stage reeds, silencer packing, and a couple OEM goodies. Not to mention cleaning the powervalve free. I honestly just could NOT even imagine handing it over to dealer for $80/hr. It was so simple. It can get a little tedious but you just have to be patient, take your time, and do it right. I mean, it would've costed thousands, not to even mention a 50% mark up on all those parts from the dealer. I simply just do not know or understand how people race locally or whatever that don't have any mechanical knowledge. What it translates into is bikes that are kept up, and then the barn campers, and ones that are ridden till they fall apart.

I'm glad I take the time to study and learn. It feels so much better showing up to the track on saturday, and putting gas in knowing every single inch of that bike is meticulously cleaned, oiled, lubed, and ready to rip
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Exactly. I paid a little over $200 for a fresh piston, 2 full gasket kits, boyesen pro dual stage reeds, silencer packing, and a couple OEM goodies. Not to mention cleaning the powervalve free. I honestly just could NOT even imagine handing it over to dealer for $80/hr. It was so simple. It can get a little tedious but you just have to be patient, take your time, and do it right. I mean, it would've costed thousands, not to even mention a 50% mark up on all those parts from the dealer. I simply just do not know or understand how people race locally or whatever that don't have any mechanical knowledge. What it translates into is bikes that are kept up, and then the barn campers, and ones that are ridden till they fall apart.

I'm glad I take the time to study and learn. It feels so much better showing up to the track on saturday, and putting gas in knowing every single inch of that bike is meticulously cleaned, oiled, lubed, and ready to rip
Yep, back in the day when I was still racing I always knew I had something reliable to ride. Being I was the "kid" going to races with guys that were slightly younger than my dad racing pro, I also knew if something went wrong I would always have somebody that knows whats goin on. I quit racing in 02 and most of my friends shortly after that. Now everybody is getting back into it with XC and woods racing. If I didnt have to worry about making a living I would be all over it once I got some conditioning back in my body...... 60lbs later this thing is still kickin my a55.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Yeah man I actually used to own my bike 5 years ago when I was 20 or so. I rode it all around on the street like a jackass, and some trails here and there, and sold it. I got it back which is what makes it so special to me, but anway, never raced. Now I'm 25 y/o and just started actually riding tracks a few months ago.

I have my own landscape business so basically I HAVE to be able to physically work outside every day. I rely on myself for 90% of the work that is done, and so as I'm starting to finally clear doubles, rail berms, and all this awesome stuff..It is insanely hard to remember to "hold back" and not push myself, because in the beginning you make huge leaps and bounds in progression as a rider. Then once you peak as a professional those leaps and bounds are more like tiny bumps. Hitting one of them every year. But anyway, yea...I've been really torn about "racing" and even just hitting the track hard every weekend. I've been going every weekend since I got this bad boy back in the fall. I think I've missed 2 weekends so far but still...I'm still going to continue to progress, but I have a lot of confidence in myself and where my head is at not to ride over my head. I've had 4 (90%) of my riding buddies tear their ACL this month alone. Now only kids I know who ride are my friend's sons. Oh well, a riding buddy is a riding buddy!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video