All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCR25098 View Post
Hahaha yesss I 100% mean that crap. When I was buying paint for the hub I noticed it and said "meeeeehhh" until ironically I came across a thread about the exact same stuff on thumper talk. Did some research then went and bought it on a whim.

The finish it gives is simply amazing. I mean honestly don't think I could send it off and have it done and ask for a better result. The parts look and feel just like a candy apple. It is completely transparent and flourescent, so whatever you paint needs to be somewhat chrome or shiny, and you've gotta polish it before painting. If there's a nick in the original chrome, you'll see it through the paint. But anyway, you gotta have it polished, and I decided to just do some "little" pieces here and there to see how it wears. The brake reservoir cap should get the least amount, and then the axle block should get a fair amount, just to gauge how well it holds up...

I applied several coats, and then a couple coats of clear to give a good bit of protection. So we'll see how she does, I feel good about it. It's particularly great for parts of the engine or anywhere that doesn't have direct friction and such. If you take your time and do it right it looks as good or better than the real thing, although I'm well aware of the real difference between real and anodized "paint" lol You just gotta pick the right things to do.
Ive always seen that stuff and figured it was some chincy thing to catch your eye and spend your money on to have an end result of "what a waste".
But I definitely like the way it turned out on your parts. Looks good man, I like!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMachine View Post
Ive always seen that stuff and figured it was some chincy thing to catch your eye and spend your money on to have an end result of "what a waste".
But I definitely like the way it turned out on your parts. Looks good man, I like!
Yea. I DEF felt the exact same about it. I'll sure say the results are flat out amazing to me but we'll see if these will in fact hold up on a dirt bike. I talked with a fellow on thumper talk who has used this stuff on some of his parts for about a year now, and he says so far so good.

As for the quality, I don't believe that I could have had them professionally done powdercoat or REAL anodizing and asked for a better result. Now it's all up to abuse. I made sure only to do things that see little to no abuse though.

Last edited by BlackCR25098; 04-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
cha cha

That's the key with the anodized paint...making sure its on a low contact area. I got bored one day and did the rear chain guide on my Yamaha. Looked nice for a while. Paint chipped fairly easily though. I would imagine it'll be just fine on the parts you've done.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by char393 View Post
That's the key with the anodized paint...making sure its on a low contact area. I got bored one day and did the rear chain guide on my Yamaha. Looked nice for a while. Paint chipped fairly easily though. I would imagine it'll be just fine on the parts you've done.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking

I just took the rear wheel up to the dealer to get a new mx51 mounted. Should have it ALL back together sometime tomorrow, so I'll update with the true finished pics then! I cannot freakin wait
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Well, the bike is done. Or should I say 99.99999% done. I'm actually pretty pissed off. I went and picked up the rear wheel and new tire after being freshly mounted, put it on the bike, and now if the adjusters are anywhere near identical, the chain is rubbing the sidewall of the tire, and the tire looks like it's set over to the chain side of the swing arm a little too much.

I had a good friend lace my wheel. I'm thinking he got the offset backwards...I'm just hoping and praying that this is something he can fix without removing my freshly mounted tire or spokes that I just spent all that time wrapping....It's his birthday tonight and he's suppose to have people over. I text him about this immediately, then tried to call, and now he's magically not reachable...He's my friend but he's also the type that will try and make ME seem like the ******* for this problem.

I don't really care, it's fixable...but what it boils down to is a ruined riding day tomorrow, followed by a whole nother week of waiting. Anyway, here's the pics. F'ing Bummed out and just like I said, he text me back "Ok. I'll give you the cash back." What a freaking tool. I don't want cash. I want to gd RIDE, and not be treated like an ******* by my friends over simply bringing up THEIR mistakes...

Last edited by BlackCR25098; 04-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Intermediate Class

looking really good man makes me miss my 98
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Banned

Thanks bud. I find it hard to enjoy the view because it's obvious the offset is backwards. When looking at the rear tire it's too far over to the chain side in the swingarm and there is a big gap on the brake side...Sooo, now I've got to get the offset switched, which I'm not too worried about I just hope to god they don't have to take spokes or tire off...I've been told they can do even turns with the spoke wrench by loosening the sprocket side spokes and then tightening the disc side, thus pulling the wheel over to the disc side more which = no more chain rubbage. If anyone can confirm I won't need it re-laced or tire removed, then you'll at least make this a bearable day.

Turns out my "friend" blew up on me when I made him aware of his mistake on the offset when he laced my wheel. So I lost a friend, riding buddy, AND my riding day is ruined tomorrow. Oh well. Dude is a major paranoid head case anyway, mainly bummed about riding :/
Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Intermediate Class

Sorry about the bad news on the off set, but atleast the bike looks good. Weird how "friends" can get touchy like that. It'll be fixed up soon, Who knows i believe things are ment to happen for a reason so, who knows, maybe your just not meant to be at the track. Just ride it hard next week end.

GOOD LOOKING MACHINE
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_cox View Post
Sorry about the bad news on the off set, but atleast the bike looks good. Weird how "friends" can get touchy like that. It'll be fixed up soon, Who knows i believe things are ment to happen for a reason so, who knows, maybe your just not meant to be at the track. Just ride it hard next week end.

GOOD LOOKING MACHINE
Man, that is actually a great take on the situation and the way I need to start looking at things. Maybe I was not supposed to be there. Especially since my 4 main riding buddies have ALL torn their ACL within this month alone...It's flipping amazing to me. Thank you for the kind words.

This bike still has a long way to go. I haven't even gotten my graphics on her yet. The white bare plastic is TERRIBLE next to that aluminum frame. I won't even use the white side plates and radiator shrouds for riding. I put my black ones back on. It's because my legs somehow transfer the black crap from my frame onto the bare white plastic, and it looks terrrrible. As I said, nothing but potent carb cleaner or similar will take it off.

I'm sure it does the same on my black plastics, but obviously you can't even see it! Point is, once I get my thick graphic on that covers the whole panel, it should not do that. However, I kind of like have the crappy black ones for riding and the perfect white ones for staring lol
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Intermediate Class

Hahahaha yea nothing like a good looking bike and nothing more annoying than trying to keep them spotless.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video