All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Expert Class

Yep, we all have our limits when it comes to hobbies. Be it money, health, family, etc... For me, I had a heart attack almost 2 years ago and had two stints put in. Getting back on the bike was a big deal for me. I rode and raced on blood thinners. A risk many probably wouldn't take. I just dialed it down a little and stayed closer to my ability. Not that I didn't crash, just not as often. Here is my worst wreck while on my blood thinners. Skip to about 1:30. Hate it when they water right before your moto. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBfI0OWlD4

As of last week I took my last blood thinner. I also, on the spur of the moment decided to race the last area qualifier in the North Central region for LL. Made it thru. Just wanted to check off racing Spring Creek MX in Millville off my bucket list. Might as well do it with a full gate of racers!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Expert Class

ok, ok
CR500 flip in my front yard. I know how Villipoto feels.
My feet were still on the pegs when my tailbone hit the ground.

https://youtu.be/VnJnkeAZ9jQ

Then, slippery diagonal root got me.

https://youtu.be/SHFtBCuF1aA

Only 2 of my many crashes.

Crossrutted a Honda Scrambler 175 when I was 12 slammed into the ground
Swapped my YZ125a over some whoops next to a Florida canal when I was 14 went for a swim in a canal
Cased a big double with my ATC250r hyperextended my knee, won the race though
Playing around with friends, got hit headon over a double, footpeg to the chest, thank you to MR Hallman!
However, the footpeg scraped across my chest and caught me in the armpit and had to have 2 operations including a skin graft.
The worst was standing still, got my left foot hung on the footpeg and slammed my head into the ground, concussion

Last edited by Tharrell; 05-28-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:47 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Ouch!! Nicely done lol
I won't out of the MX scene forever just a bit of a break
I'm slowly healing up resting lots and doing minimal work at work. I would like to get back out there but I think a mind and body rest from it all will help me come back to just enjoying the ride again

Often when I'm injured from crashing I reflect on the 'good ol' days' when I just rode my XR100 through the bush simply adventuring, crossing rivers, climbing over massive rocks, picking through the heavy undergrowth and ending the day with the biggest smile on my face........sadly racing an practice never puts that same smile on my face.....something is missing from riding at the moment.....
Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Beginner Class

Hang in there Stevo,
Ive been told I'll grow up some day and will sell my bikes, I'm 47 now and it's still my favorite thing to do. Well, My wife thinks there is something I like better. Ok those are my 2 favorite thing to do.
Never really raced, I know I'm never going to be the fastest and I hate losing. But I love Riding, always have. I like to feel the tires on my VFR sliding around on dry pavement like my CR coming out of corner while it is threaded between a couple of trees on the trail. When its spitting sideways with the front end just off the ground. I think Riding dirt makes you a better road rider.

I like the woods, the tighter the better. Busier than a video game. Its me vs the trail. Not me vs that faster guy. on my own terms.

I've never thought much of Harley's but keep a few of their slogan's close to me.
"Ride to Live and Live to Ride" To me it means be safe, I don't have to be full out, I want to ride again.

I also Like "Don't Call em Bikers until you see em Ride"
Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 PM
will fall over

Yeah saurus I'm 47 over here also. Got six different flavors of two wheelers in my garage. Wife says I have too many and I say hey there are SEVEN days in the week ya know I think I'm one short
Stevo it's in your blood. it's all you brother. It's freedom to ride or freedom to put it down also. Bikes will be there waiting when you decide you need em.
The competition is a rush, but can kind of take the pleasure out of it sometimes. I raced some offroad/mx and it's fun, but not nearly as satisfying as thanksgiving dinner with the family at our campsite tucked into the side of an Ozark mountain. We would do 7 days straight and never hit the same trail twice, unless we liked it too much the first time. No race ever meant as much to me as time around the fire, talking about the days adventures.
Pack it in man that's fine. One day you will miss them so much, and you will only remember the good times. Heck, even the bad times make great stories

oh, and what ever hobby you choose to occupy yourself with, make sure to pick something dangerous, needlepoint is for grannys! sure you may poke you fingy but you have to keep the rush coming in somehow

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Miscellaneous Forums > Photo & Video