All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Class

Default WR / YZ suspension

After blowing the forkseals and being that im gonna be layed up awhile im considering sending my suspension in for a rework.

The question I have is my bike which i thought was a yz is actually a wr converted into a yz aka plastics and such.

The problem is the suspension seemed way too stiff. Ive ridden both my friends and brothers yz and they both seem to feel much more soft on landings then mine.

My weight is right around 220 and ive messed with all the compression and rebound controls trying to get it to feel like the yz's but to no sucess.

Can anyone suggest what i should do, to change this? Do I have to send it to a suspension place or do they sell kits that I can do the work myself?

Id rather do the work myself if its possible so I can get more familiar with the bike from the get go.

Any help would be much appreciated! THX
Old 04-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: WR / YZ suspension

bump
Old 04-10-2004, 10:17 PM
ATM Contributor!

I would have thought that the WR suspension would have been softer than the YZ. Are you talking about fork and shock or just one in particular? Good luck!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Class

basically overall if i stand still jump up and put my weight on mine versus my friends his sags much more and i cant set mine to that soft. Overall the yzs that ive rode felt much more stable on landings. Where mine feels like hitting a ton of bricks when i land.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Novice Class

Being that whom ever had the bike before went to the trouble to convert the WR to the YZ look, Its unknown what other mods might have been done to it.
The WR will be much softer than the YZ in stock form. So if your jumping this bike it will feel like hitting a ton of bricks because its blowing through the stroke. (Being its to soft)
The one thing that concerns me in this is you say that when you just jump up and down that it is to stiff.
If this is indeed a stock WR it should be much softer in feel then the YZ.
Here might be some things to look at .
Linkage, swingarm ect is froze or binded up by overtightening. I have seen this many times!
The fronts forks could also be on a bind.
These are issues that will make the bike feel stiff.

Russ
Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Pro Class

Thx for the reply man the front forks always bottomed out on larger jumps even though i have the compression on maximum. The rear has the yellow spring which i believe is the heaviest one but recommended for my 220lbs. Ill check the swing arm being that im going to paint the frame here soon. From what im understanding is that i should replace the bearings in there and retorque to proper specs.

Hopefully this is the problem that you are suggesting. When I got hurt on this last jump i know the front forks bottomed hard and thats what ultimately tossed me off, but the rear end seems like the travel of it is only half the others, so that bind problem might be right, Im really hoping thats it.

I would assume that the full travel should be able for the tire to almost touch the rear subframe like on the others ive rode.

Thx much for your help ill check that when i tear it appart next weekend.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning