All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Expert Class

Default SX and MX settings?

Hey, i was just wondering how i should run my suspension for both SX and MX tracks? cuz we have a mx park (Toes MX Park, in Royal City) that has 2 SX tracks and 2 Motocross tracks, and i just need some help.. Right now my suspension is inbetween soft and hard.. im used to going over long, but big, rounded whoops, compared to the tall pointed SX whoops. The clickers im using right now seem good for the MX track, maybe a bit stiffer, but the suspension should be stiffer for the SX track right? cuz im always hearing from transworld how the factory bikes they test out on SX tracks are really stiff. The spring rates should be about right, i bought the '01 cr 125 in '05 used, the guy was about 5' 8" and weighed about 140 and he said he had already gotten the suspension done at the shop (which im guessing they put new springs in for his weight). So basically how stiff is too stiff, and how much rebound do i need? seems like you'd need quite a bit to launch off those doubles right out of turns. I tried a 40' and it feels like it didnt kick off hard enough... so is it just trial and error trying to figure out your bike? thanks for any imput!
-andrew
Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: SX and MX settings?

Yes, SX typically needs more compression dampening, due to take off and landings being so close together.

But you really hit the nail on the head, when you said it's a trial and error thing. You'll have to try and see.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 PM
ATM Contributor!

Suspension is something that can't really get too much attention. Trial and error is the deal for me. I usually go two clicks at a time, make a few laps and change it accordingly. It helps to write down what you run on certain tracks so you can change it before you even unload.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Expert Class

yeah, i set the forks + shock for soft compression + harder rebound.. cuz i thought i would be just free-riding, like making lips + kickers of of 40-150 ft. dirt hills.. but i ended up going out to the dunes and there were some hard and soft spots.. so yeah, haha, wasn't too fun hitting the soft spots when i thought they were hard. here's the list of crashes from it (and im assuming it was b/c my forks were too soft):

1. Was going up a 50 ft. dune 5th gear pinned, the very top, the lip of the dune was frosted over, looked frozen... i was wrong.. was super soft and my front tire got sucked under and i flew over the bars and to the left while my bike did 2 kartwheels (end over end) and broke 1 spoke and the spoke stabbed my tire tube.. took $77 and 1 hr to get it fixed at the local shop. didnt hurt from it, just laughed my head off cuz i looked like a moron.

2. Started for a dune, about 60 ft. high, pretty steep, usually has an awsome lip that will launch u up to 9' x 50' in 4th or 5th pinned. i was 4th pinned at the bottom and right when i hit where the dune started to slope... i went straight forward into the dune... lol, didnt go up at ALL.. just right into and flipped over the bars. just looked like a moron again, lol, i seem to do that alot!

3. This one i hurt my knee's on.. pretty bad, they're way sore right now and my left knee left a huge blood stain on the inside of my pants... alright, just did a 70-80' hillclimb on my 125 in 2nd gear, shifted into 3rd when i was turning around and i thought i saw soft sand ahead where i was turning.. so i gun it to try and get a nice roost going but it turns out it was really hard.. back tire started spinning out like no other and it spun out from under me, and right when that happened, before it stopped or slowed down at all the front tire hit super soft sand.. it threw me forward into the bike and both knee's bash into my bars.. didnt feel good.. lol, i just laid there for a little bit and my friend rode around on my bike while i was limping over to where his quad was, haha.

i guess today just wasn't my day for the dunes! lol, a flat tire + sore knees... just needa get my suspension tuned in i guess!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyonahill View Post
it threw me forward into the bike and both knee's bash into my bars.. didnt feel good.. lol, i just laid there for a little bit and my friend rode around on my bike while i was limping over to where his quad was, haha.

i guess today just wasn't my day for the dunes! lol, a flat tire + sore knees... just needa get my suspension tuned in i guess!
you should get knee cups, that extend into your boots so they dont come out of place.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning