All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Beginner Class

Default setting up suspension

Hi guys.

I would like a little advice on setting up my bike. Its a 2002 yz250 and the main problem i want to reduce is lifting the front wheel so much on hill's.
Im finding that im loosing too much momentum trying to keep the bike from flipping.
Im inexperienced in dialing in suspension so im hopeing someone out there can tell me what they think would best suit me.
Im mainly having trouble on rocky/rutted hill's.
Im about 5'8" and 130-135 lbs in the oldschool imperial system.
Im about to change the fork seals and oil too so if different oil would be off use??
im thinking about softening the front compression and hardening the rear would this help keep the front down??

i feel like a blind man feeling around an all male nudist colony.

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Manufacturer Dude

Dialing in suspension is definately a learned art.

Over the years, I have found that there are several things that I just plain do differently to remedy handling issues with bike, and I have always had folks praise the way my bikes handle. Back when the bike was considered new, I would typically have a few of the top guys in my area ask to borrow the bikes if theirs blew up. But - like I said, I do bend some rules regarding suspension set-up.

I still race the same bike you are trying to set up - 2002 YZ250 so I am very familiar with it and have a log book of settings I have used since the bike was new. BUT - I run motocross and am a bit heavier than you are, so my set-up will likely be way too firm for your taste. Not to mention - it is not going to keep the front end down. No suspension changes will help with that much.

The addition of a flywheel weight might tame the power down enough to keep it in check. I think you can do a few things differently when you ride, too - like stay leaning forward when you are on the gas. Lengthening the wheelbase by moving the back wheel back will make a difference but it will be minor. Perhaps running a taller set of gears would help, too - like changing from a 13 tooth front sprocket to a 14 tooth - this would tame down the hit a little, too. Running a little higher air pressure in your rear tire might help too depending on what you run now.

I doubt suspension alterations will help keep the front wheel down under acceleration. I think you might have better luck altering your riding habits.

I hope I have not misunderstood your question!

Scott
Old 07-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Beginner Class

no your spot on.
to clarify what i want to achieve i just find the front isnt soaking up rocks and bumps well enough when going up hills, i stay forward as much as i can untill i hit a rock or bump and it just bounces, added to the fact im just coming on band and dont have much weight on me to keep it tame.
the rear tyre is hammered as it it so i dont think reducing rear traction or torque will help.
might soften the front up a little and see how i go!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Manufacturer Dude

Do you have issues with it pushing in corners?

Scott
Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Age is a state of Mind

My suggestion is to click 2 clicks less in each fork on the rebound adjusters and see if that makes a difference. Then report back and we can go from there.

So turn the rebound counter-clockwise 2 clicks in each leg (just to make sure I made sense).
Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Beginner Class

yer will try some on the rebound next weekend, just got back from a big ride today, Its fine through corners, did notice though the front forks are not covering approx 2 inchs of travel, was hitting "whoops" pretty hard.
did flip the bike backwards about 4 times on this awesome hill today. 8 attempts and i still didnt make it. no photos unfortunatly.

will let you know how i go!
thanks for your help guys

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning