All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Rebound Found!

I had my friend and suspension guru, Doug Harvey, revalve my forks and shock a couple of days ago. Right after I got the bike this past December, he put heavier springs in the forks and on the shock, and even with the heavier springs, I was not happy with the range of compression and rebound I had with the stock valving - especially so with the shock. Anyhow, after the revalve, when he demonstrated to me the rebound with the adjuster turned all the way in, he pushed the rear end down and it stayed! Not permanently, it came up - albeit very slowly. We backed it out to a more normal ten clicks out, and it behaved very nicely. I can't wait to try it out on some real bumps and get it dialed in.

In stock trim, with the heavier springs in the forks and on the shock, I had to turn compression AND rebound all the way in to the last click (forks and shock) to get the suspension to work decently. With my gear on, I weigh around 200, and I was just never fully satisified with the adjustment range I had in stock trim (with the heavier springs). What was happening is that it would blow through the compression stroke so fast that it would cause a corresponding fast rebound. As I said, with the clickers all the way in on all adjusters on both the forks and the shock, it worked ok, but I can't wait to get out on the track and get it dialed now that I have some more room to play with.

Last edited by compoundfracture; 02-22-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Suspension setup is SOO important, I too have just redone my forks and am waiting a service to be down on the shock. Next bike I buy I'm spending my money on suspension and maintenance bits like oils, lubes, etc....

You should like the 'new' suspension...just take your time to adjust as it will feel much different ....
Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
ATM! Addict

Just like the motor, i think lots of people pay to get someone else to adjust their suspension for them. Lots of people that I know just do it religiously it seems like. New bike, get the valving changed.

They are so adjustable and have been for so long (from the factory), t hat once I have the springs i like for my weight and the purpose, I just never have been able to get the full benefit of my money on a revalve on any of the hondas or yamahas that I own. but that is just me and my somewhat limited outlook. Anyway, they seem happy, as I am too.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Intermediate Class

I really just did not have enough compression or rebound at either end. It was mostly noticeable after landing hard off a big jump. The bike would bounce and throw me back up into the air. I hate that.

Fortunately, as noted in my initial post, Doug is a friend, and while I won't tell you what he charged me, I will say that it was not very much. And, it must be noted how I tried every combination on the clickers until I found that having the compression and rebound turned all the way in, at both ends, made the ride passable. Not great, but passable.

With the revalve, I have much more adjustment available, and I must commend Doug for a great job. Most of us are not the 120 to 140 pound "average" rider the Japanese valve their shocks too.

Stick with your stock valving if it works for you.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
ATM! Addict

sounds like yours needed some rebuilding, that is a little bit different. like i said, new bike and off it goes to get valved.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM
ATM! Pro Class

When I quoted to spend all my money on suspension I ment that I would get correct spring rates etc, new forks done need much besides getting the springs right if I was to purchase second hand I would be spending my money on parts to rebuild my forks and shock before anything ( besides topend oil change things that would be obvious ). I would also be serviceing and keeping my money to replace linkage and swing arm bearings too. Learnt a lot from having my first mx bike ( not my FIRST bike )......I thought a good looking bike made you faster lol ( no that was a joke )
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 AM
ATM! Addict

just like the engine, you need for the suspension to work like it was suposed to. i think i have been in awe of how far bikes have come since we were brazing up damper holes and drilling them up an inch and adding another inch to the damper rod at the same time, that i am probably happier easier than some other people are. all in all we have it really good now.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning