All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Linkage modifications to improve handling

Hey fellas (and shelias)

Been awhile but I have a question that has been annoying me all week.

Im always on the internet scouting around for parts for my 2014 CRF250R but I'm not one to just buy things for the bling factor or thinking they are going to be easy bolt on speed.
I realise knowing how to ride the bike is more important that having the newest Yoshi pipe and internal upgrades. If you can't put all the power of a stock bike to the ground then why increase the power in the first place right ?

The things I have been looking at are items like:

- Increased front rotor size and braided lines for better "feel and power" in the front end and rear

- Revalved suspension to suit my size and weight which has been done and is fantastic

- Change in Handlebars to a shallower bend as I find that more comfy and keeps me in the attack position

- Raptor Footpegs for better grip

- Hinson Clutch and conventional clutch cable for better clutch control and reduced fade which causes me arm pump in my left arm

If you have any other recommendations or advice please chime in.

Now to the point of this new thread.

Ive been looking at Triple Clamps and Linkage upgrades, specifically from Ride Engineering. From what I gather they are made in the US and of high quality.

Now I am still a bit unsure as to wether I am going to change my triple clamps due to the change in offset but I believe it is worth a try so I probably will.

The thing that is bugging me is that they also sell Linkage parts. Now I was under the impression that a "lowering link" was to allow the vertically challenged riders to safely ride a motorcycle and be able to touch their footsies on the dirt.

Now Ride engineering states: QUOTE "It improves the suspension action and handling entering corners (by holding the shock up in the stroke more) and it is more plush on acceleration chop exiting the turn."

What are all of your views on this and have any of you experienced the difference in adding a lowering link solely for the purpose of improving the handling of the motorcycle ??

Also here is a video by Racer X that do a comparison of a Stock and Modified KXF with Ride Engineering products. Personally I think the reviews are scripted but you be the judge

Racer X Tested: Ride Engineering 2012 KX450F Stock vs. Mod Comparison - YouTube
Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 AM
ATM! Pro Class

The lowering link will help with straight line stability, but I don't see how it would help in the turns as it causes a change in the rake of the front end. It kicks out the front end more and unless you also lower the front end or shorten the forks it will push in the turns.

Paw Paw
Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Pro Class

PawPaw is dead on !
for cornering You would want the front lower and less rake ?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Intermediate Class

Ok well I'm still unsure as to why they would sell a product and have reviews on how it works so well improving a bikes rear end on rough mx tracks...

I've also just noticed that the linkage setup that I have been looking at has the knuckle as well and Ride engineering states:

"Ride's newest product is a full linkage system for the 2013-14 CRF450R and 2014 CRF250R. The combo outer link and center knuckle has two effects on the new Honda chassis. It improves the suspension action and handling entering corners (by holding the shock up in the stroke more) and it is more plush on acceleration chop exiting the turn. By offering both components instead of just the outer or inner one, ride height remains unchanged. We also found that the shock setting doesn't have to be altered (your favorite setting will work great), making this a true bolt-on and go product. Recommended sag with the Rideng Linkage is 102-106mm"

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning