All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Help question about jump landings and shocks

So I have been working on jumps after being mostly a trail rider. This past weekend I was getting more comfortable and was hitting them big (for me) I notice and several of the bigger jumps I was tweaking my ankles when I landed. So what is more likely am I not absorbing with my legs or is the compression on my shock set too fast and its bottoming out.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Help question about jump landings and shocks

My guess is your flat landing which you don't want to do. Whenever possible I prefer to land my front wheel first, slightly nose down landing with the gas on. If you land flat with the gas off the suspension will not absorb it as well. I have found that in just about all situations it's better to land on the front then the rear. You don't want to over do this of course

It can also make a difference how your feet are positioned on the pegs. I NEVER want to land a jump with the pegs on the forward part of my feet. That hurts!!

You do need to use the legs to absorb, but it's also important not to be setup too soft. On your next trip out try adjusting the low speed stiffer and see if it helps.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Intermediate Class

What kind of bike are you riding? Trail bike? motocross?
If your landing on a flat surface at high speeds, you want your front wheel slightly higher(6 inches), if its a slower speed jump with a turn at the end, front wheel landings are preferred, all depending on the situation and jump. If your jumping a tabletop, double, triple you want to land at the same angle as the down face of the jump.
You might also want to get on the gas right when you land to help absorb the impact.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Expert Class

You can figure out his bike by looking at his name. Just look at the capitals.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Expert Class

shocknut,you are one sharp dude...the reason why the front wheel landings are important is it`s easier for your machine to take the stress....it`s definatly harder as i seen alotta guys go flying over the bars...it won`t make your machine a chopper as fast with the steering head being straighter to the impact,and the forks will compress making the wheelbase slightly shorter and that ways theres way less leverage forces being applied...check it out with one of your motorcycle toys...you do have a toy motorcycle don`t you? if you do start having too much ankle strain...consider evs ankle braces...ya wear`em under your boots....also,a few shock absorbing footpads can do wonders...avoid certain gel pads unless you want jelly squishin between your toes...and allways turn the fork tubes a quarter turn in the triple trees after a hard days abuse to avoid bent forks....this is still important even if you have a new bike...i see guys at the track riding choppers all the time...even street bikes need this done....i like pointing this out to people when i see the chopper effect-the looks on their faces is priceless...there is also a good anti bottoming out rubber available from pro circuit and a few others-you still will bottom out,but this rubber will absorb alot more impact forces that are usually sent through the frame to the rider...i hate bottoming out-who don`t...fiddle with your shock as much as you can and learn what adjustments make things happen and how...allways take notes of changes and results on a peica paper...take out that same toy-compress the rear-then look what happens to the front fork angle...then tell me this is a good thing for your bike-...if theres a jump that allways bottoms your bike real hard at the track-go whine about it to the man with the tractor....those type jumps suck!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning