All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Beginner Class

Default CRF250R Settings

Hey Guys,

I just bought a new '05 250R. I rode it around on some hard pack dirt yesterday and it seems that the suspension is set up relatively stiff. I weigh about 170-175 with gear on. I ride mostly desert but occasionally mx and dunes. I measured the sag today and the static is at 40mm and the race is a little over 100mm. What are some good settings for the rebound and compression valves? I've searched google looking for some good recommendations but have only found how to adjust them. This is my first bike and I would like to get used to riding it but at the same time don't want the bike beating me every time I ride.

Thanks for your help

Jason

BTW great forum you have here

Last edited by Drumaniac3000; 12-31-2006 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2006, 09:04 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: CRF250R Settings

Welcome to ATM! I'm no suspension expert by any means. I just go with the trial and error method. The stock suspension is pretty good and can be adjusted over a wide range and you should eventually be able to dial it in. One method is to turn them all the way in while you count the clicks and turn them back out the same number. That way you know where you are. Then change them 2 clicks at a time and then ride it. It's time consuming but it's not bad. After all, It's time on the bike. I'm at 155 lbs. and 5'7". I can't even remember what my settings are. I've got them written down somewhere. Having a professional suspension might be something to look into. Around $500 dollars and up.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Expert Class

Before you do ANYTHING:

1. Find out if the previous owner did any type of modifications to the original suspension, like springs, oil, revalve, etc. About 99% of used bikes have had the suspension worked on and I don't mean that in a good way.

2. IF it is completely stock, then you need to have it serviced. Won't cost you a ton, but you need to have the fork oil changed and the shock oil changed. If you don't then you are tuning on a worn out setup and you will never ever get anywhere.

3. Once you get it freshened up, go back to original factory settings. Check your manual and if you don't have one, get one. A must have for any Honda owner.

4. If it has been modified at all, you need to get ahold of that shop and find out what they did. Any reputable shop will keep a record and give it to you. If it is not valved for your weight, you will have to get it redone or you will just beat the crap out of yourself.

Sounds like a ton, but I have my shock and fork serviced every three months so that things are fresh and working properly. If you do not start out correctly, you might as well just not even do any adjustment.

James
Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Lawdog gives some great advise. If the oil is spent (and it doesn't take long for it to be spent) then it won't work properly to begin with. It's AMAZING what some fresh oil will do for suspension.

Now based on your static sag#, your race sag#, and your wight I'm going to bet that the suspension springs are for a heavier rider. As your static sag# suggests that you need a lighter springs. I would also guess that the guy you bought it from was bigger (weight wise) then you are.

If memory serves me, you want static sag somewhere between 15mm and 25mm. If less then 15, you need heavier springs, if more then 25mm you need lighter springs.

Sooo, start by clicking your rebound front and back 2 clicks stiffer (should be clockwise, but don't quote me because without looking I get confused on that one). Ride it and see what you think. Then I'd suggest 2 clicks on the compression softer (counterclock wise).

But before you do any of that, I would verify that both of the clickers on the forks are the same # of clicks out from full in (full stiff). You will be surprised how often they are not the same. Make them the same (I'd go the softer of the two (the one with the most clicks out) on compression, and the stiffer of the two on rebound (the least clicks out), then add two more to it. Ride it and see what you think.

Then come back and report.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Beginner Class

Thanks for the replies guys. This bike is brand new, it was a left over that my local dealer bought from Honda. This might be a dumb question but do the CRF's come with manuals or do I need to get an aftermarket one similar to a Chilton's? I went riding today for the first time out in the desert. The suspension seemed a bit rough, almost too firm on small bumps but it did well in the whoops and off of some small jumps. When I hit some washboard sections it felt like I could feel every bump in the road. I was thinking that the high speed compression needs to be loosened a bit, would this help? Maybe my expectations are off but I expected this thing to ride like a pillow compared to my quad.

Thanks again,

Jason
Old 01-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Oh, the bike is brand new eh?

Gosh I typed a lot of info that is null and void

Yes, your bike should have come with a manual. They are actually really good manuals too.

Once you get the manual situation sorted, make sure everything is at stock, if not ride it first, then adjust.

I'd still go 2 clicks stiffer on rebound to start.

Ride some,

Then 2 clicks softer on compression.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Beginner Class

I went and got the manual today from the dealer. You were right it is a pretty good manual, especially compared to my 400ex. I readjusted the clickers tonite. Most were within a click of what the manual said. I just want to go ride and start adjusting now that I know what everything does. Hopefully I can get out this week and get this thing dialed in.

Also I was reading through the manual and it says that I need to replace the fork oil after the first 3 hours of riding. How critical is this and how hard is it to do? The maintenance schedules looked to be pretty detailed, is the manual overkill or do some parts really need to be replaced often? One that comes to mind was the piston/rings every 15 rides...oil changes and such i can understand but piston and rings... Maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing

Thanks

Jason
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Piston/rings - unless you are racing every weekend, yes, it's overkill.

The fork and shock oil is a good thing to change, but I'd probably wait until you get closer to 10 hours on the bike, then do it.

As far as difficulty, it's not very hard. Is it intimidating the first time ... HELL YES! But it's not very hard at all. And it feels great to conquer it.

When you come to the time to do it, just let us know and we'll help where we can. I believe the manual shows you pretty well how to do it, but they use some tools that you won't have, so we can offer advise on different things you can use instead that will work just as good.

Also, if you haven't done so, and this in my opinion, but get an hour meter (I believe we sell them in the ATM store, or sears sells them as well... so does Dr. D, so does sandec (sp???)). I love mine, and keeping up on the maintenance is SOO much easier with it. I love mine.

Also, have fun dialing your suspension. It's one of my favorite things to do.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Beginner Class

I figured that the manual was overkill on things like that to cover Honda's butt from lawsuits and such. I am definitely going to get an hour meter, but where is a good place to mount it? As far as the suspension goes, I am going to the motocross track on Sunday to practice. Hopefully I can get everything dialed in a little better. Thanks again for the tips.

Jason
Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Check this thread and ways of mounting it --> http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/...ing+hour+meter

As far as where, I mounted mine under my (if you are sitting on the bike) left side on the frame spar, so you can see it through the hole in the shroud. If you look at your bike, you'll see what I'm talking about. Works perfectly there, and isn't in danger of getting kicked around.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning