All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Beginner Class

Default Basic Settings for CR85 Lightweight

Got the kid an 04 CR85 and the factory/dealer settings are for a 100-120 lb. rider.

I don't want to get too involved and confused but I hoped someone could give me some basic info on comp/rebound adjustments for a lighter rider. He's about 75 lbs.

What I'm looking for are answers like "go softer with comp/rebound" or "with just one of them do this or that and leave the other."

Something like that....

He's a novice rider and I was not planning to get softer springs cause he's growing fast.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: Basic Settings for CR85 Lightweight

You really gotta say what you don't like about the suspension.

Since it's over sprung, you may have to slow down rebound & compression a tad. So Compression is softer, and rebound is slower (harder).

Watch him ride and see what it does. See if you think it rebounds too fast. Also ask him if it's too stiff etc.

Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Beginner Class

Well...we rode today and during I softened the compression and slowed the rebound kick back and he says it's much better.

But I think I coulda done anything or nothing and he'd say that. He's young and just loves the bike. I don't know how reliable the feedback is.

I just figured at his light weight I should do something right off the bat to compensate a little.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Age is a state of Mind

I hear ya. It's tough for the little guys to give us meaningful feed back when they are just happy to be riding. Their not old and wanting comfort like we are.

I think that's where you watching him is going to be key. I can usually tell just by watching my buddies (btw, I'm no suspension expert, just a novice trying to learn all I can) if their rebound is too fast or too slow. Look at him when he lands and see if when the suspension rebounds if he looks like he's on a pogo stick. If so, slow it down some more (harder). Another indicator can be the good ol'e head whipping forward. Not always is this a good indicator, but if the jump wasn't that big and his head is whipping forward, the rebound is probably waay too fast.

Another trick is to use a zip tie on the front forks to see how much of the suspension travel he's using. If on the big hits he's still not getting close to using all the suspension, soften it up some more.

You can also video him if you are really interested in dialing it in. Watching is only so good, but in this case, it may be all you've got.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Welcome To ATM

Moto

i there i have just got my self a 2004 cr85 big wheel and the sus is way to soft for me the rear shock is not a problem for me its the forks. i can see 2 adjusters on the top of the forks and i dont no wich one is wich and didnt want to start playing with them. if anyone knows wich one dose what id be verygreatfull for the help. thank to all

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning