All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Beginner Class

Default 2002 yz250 vs 2002 yz250F forks

Afternoon all,

After doing the customary search I was unable to find the answer I was looking for hence my post for some assistance.
I just bought a very nice 2002 yz250. I was told the front end was overly stiff and would probably want to change to a lighter spring for my son who is like 180 lbs. Some detail was thrown in by the seller that even after they backed out both compression and rebound clickers the forks were still too stiff. Before I bought the bike I called a suspension shop out in Cali just so maybe they'd might be able to shed some light on what I might be up against with these stiff forks. I told him about the clickers and the stiffness being unchanged. The first words out of his mouth were, "there is either something wrong with the fork or the installation of the forks to the bike". End of story he said. He said that if you back out both compression and rebound clickers all the way there is no way the the forks could be still way too stiff. They certainly wouldn't be dialed in by any stretch, but with no matter WHAT spring you have in there, all the way backed out on the clickers would never give you still a stiff feeling. he said to check for fork bind by the forks and front wheel not being assmbled back correctly or something worn, broken or not assembled back correctly in the inards of the forks.
Now that you got the history, heres the question:
My friend has a complete front end off of a YZ250F 2002. If I get into my bikes forks, can I use his as a guide or worst case scenario for parts if something is out of wack? Were the forks the same for the four stroke vs the 2-stroke in that year? I have read where the forks on the 2002 YZF 426 are the same as my YZ's or very similiar where as I can use the 426s' manual to service mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day all.

Sid
Old 02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Manufacturer Dude

Sid -

Welcome to the site.

I still race a 2002 YZ250. I am fairly confident the forks you are asking about are the same.

Tear into what you have and make sure everthing is good to go with fresh oil. A manual would be helpful, too.

If you're in the Tidewater area I can help first hand if you'd like. I have parts and tools for these forks.

Scott
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Beginner Class

Default Tidewater n D13

Whats up fellow Va person? Good to hear from you and thanks for the reply. I saw that you race or still race so I am assuming you frequent Elizabeth City and the other track over near Petersburg, disputanta i think it was when we raced D13 back some years ago. We live now in the SW part of the state in the Blue Ridge mtns so its been the MEGA series for us and sometimes the Ultra series and occasionally we'll get over to Birch Creek and Sugar Tree.
So you see my dilema with these KYB forks? Its good to know they are the same if not for reference purposes only. It could be something as simple as them not setting the front tire correctly or hopefully NOT improper torque on the pinch bolts causing them to bind giving the feel of stiff springs. Worse case something inside is crapped up. The guy did give me these little ENZO remote reservoir cannisters that clamp to the upper outer tubes and plumb into the top caps where the air screw would be. They were removed and where the air screw was in the caps is now regular air bleed offs. Maybe something is up with theinstall or removal of those ENZO things. I do not even know what they do to be honest. How do you like your forks? Are they stock? What do you weigh may I ask? What kind of oil and height do you run? I was given a 2002 426F manual to use until mine comes in. Quick question...which manual am I supposed to order for this bike? The YZ250P or the other yz250 book? I forget the other letter that I saw after the zero. But there were 2 different manuals for the same year and size 2-stroke bike. I was checking out the RockymountainATV sight and their instructional videos. They have two 2 part videos. One for a twin chamber cartridge fork which I am assuming is like my 03 CR250. then there is a 2 part video for a cartridge fork. They never ever say in the video that this is for Showa years such n such and thsi video is for KYB or vice versa. Which fork is it we have on our YZ's? I've read Yamaha went to a twin cartridge set-up in 05.

Enough of this 2 finger typing, I'm cramping up.

Thanks for your help. If your ever out in the SW part of the state, look me up. We got a few private tracks that are NICE and a TON of woods riding.

Thanks again.

Sid
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Intermediate Class

my 02 yz125 has the cartridge style fork, so i'm quite sure yours is the same style, if not the exact same fork.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
ATM! Addict

Default Maybe

I would not change the forks until you check these items...

Maybe a couple of simple things causing the problem.
1. Too much oil in the forks.
2. Too much air built up in the forks.
3. The forks are mis-aligned

All of these are easy fix's.

Paw Paw

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Dirt Bike Suspension Tuning