All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > General Dirt Bike Knowledge Base

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Class

Default Break in procedure

Here is a solid way to break in your new baby. This info is couresy of motoman on www.mototuneusa.com. Here is the link:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Sorry can't post the info here. Too long
Old 01-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Expert Class

Default Re: Break in procedure

Hmmm? I find that hard to believe. I have been riding motorcycles for 32 years, have always done my own maintenance, and back when I lived in Michigan was a state certified master motorcycle mechanic. This goes against conventional wisdom. Whether it is correct or not, I would need quantified data to comfirm or deny.
BUT NOTE, the web site says this is for any 4-STROKE engine, and I can attest that this is not the best way to break in a 2-stroke. Heat cycle 3 times, take it easy for a tank of gas. If you run a 2-stroke hard and fast right away they can seize.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Age is a state of Mind

If you read it again, he doesn't necessarily say to run in WFO, just not to really take it too easy or you won't allow the rings to seat. Makes perfect sense to me, but then again, I'm no mechanic, and I know NOTHING about 2 smokes.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro Class

When I was younger and in the mode of I know everything and everyone else is a dumb ***

I started to work for a guy Bob Chaves who pretty much sponcered guys like Dick Mann, Jim Rice and others. In the 60's and 70's he was a player in the industry.

Anyway he taught me some tricks I never have waivered from.

A new bike
1: Drain Oil, clean filter / screens and refill all oils
2: Start the bike and let run just above idle and occaisional Blip
3: Never run past just a blip of the throttle
4: Run it this way until your hand can not stay on the head or cyl
5: Shut off walk away for 8 hrs or over night. Let Eng Cool Compl
6: Drain Oil, inspect filters / screens clean if needed repl oil

Next Day
1: Start let run at idle until warm to touch
2: Ride bike thrugh gears never above 4500 5000 RPM 1-5th
3: Shutoff bike Walk away lets sit another day
4: Drain Oil, inspect filters / screens clean if needed repl oil

Next Day or 8 Hrs after first next day
1: Start bike let warm to touch
2: Shove in gear and Go Like haities
3: Shutoff Load bike onto truck
4: Go Racing

Bring it home and drain all oil and change filters...

The first few hours of an engines life is the most crucial and the most wear.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:41 PM
ATM! Pro Class

oops, I guess my bike is well used. I was always told if you ride hard break it in hard. If it don't break you got a good one. Maybe my next bike I'll do it right . Naw, I will just do the filter and oil and ride the poo out of it.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Intermediate Class

Wether it be 2 or 4 stroke...heat cycle several times...let it warm up and ...GO! We are not talking about '70/80s steel liners and cast pistons here.
Forged pistons, Nicosil cylinders, etc...other than a thorough warm up, let her rip!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 PM
ATM Founder

This brings up a point that I would like to mention:

Ever since moving south, I have noticed that folks start their bike and either start riding them right away or sit there and wind it up a bunch while on the stand. I can assure you that if this drill were tried where I grew up, you would be rewarded with a seized bike.

The reason is why I gingerly break in 2 strokes in particular:

The piston in a 2 stroke has a couple of functions. One is to pump air by acting as a pump, the other is that it acts as a valve and as such has a very tight cylinder to piston clearance.

As all metals do, they expand when heated. The piston and the cylinder warm up at different rates due to the coolant and the air ready and waiting to cool the jug, while the piston on the other hand readily absorbs the heat of combustion. If the bike is warmed up too quickly, the piston can expand much quicker than the cylinder and can cause the piston to seize in the cylinder.

Many of the 2 strokes I have seen torn down while I have lived down here show the telltale signs of cold seizing--piston scuffing. Even mild scuffing degrades performance in the engine as the scores provide a path for blowby from the ports that the piston is to seal.

Right after rebuild, the engine really gets hot quick as you have new rings that are wearing to obtain a seal. This translates into copious amounts of heat that make the piston heat quickly and if revved up or rode hard during this period can lead to seizure.

I always let the bike idle with little blips of the throttle until the jug is hot and the water pump is quite warm before I even dream of putting it in gear as a habit.

I believe that the modern 4 strokes should be treated in the same manner as the 2 smokes--gingerly and allowed to warm up before tearing off. Doing so also gets the juice in the bottom end flowing and warmed up. This can enhance the life of your tranny and transmission.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Novice Class

Thats what I always do to as far as pre ride. I hate to say i pretty much go by Macho and FFR's break in style. I should have used the slow bike method, this 450's way to fast.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Pro Class

When I rebuild my motors I will always bring t to soe one I trust on the bore with MY Specs.

Why

I hand fit the piston to the sleeve.

It is someting I have done as I was tought.

Hand sanding or hand fit the piston to the sleev is crucial.

Every piston is diff and every bore is not totally round.

Taking the piston and free running it in a sleev will show scuff marks "High Spots".

You wet sand these areas down in a criss cross fashion untill the piston is show equal scuff per-say in al sides of the piston.

It takes time but worth it. Two things happen

1: You get an extremly tight runing motor
2: you become very intamit with your piston and sleeve

But you compression is right there, no un needed slack or slap in the piston

and this means longer life on your rebuild...
Old 01-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Pro Class

This is all great info!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > General Dirt Bike Knowledge Base