All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > General Dirt Bike Knowledge Base

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrmotosports View Post
break in is over rated, i usually run my 2 stroke 3 heat cycles then ride/race it. Have mever had an issue.
couldnt agree more man, i broke in my old steel lined cr125 from the 80s and just used synthetic Castor 927 premix with premium gas and just rode it light for one tank of gas then used every pony i could get out of it for the next 5 months until i sold it and the compression was a good solid 150 psi

btw jaybird, and everyone else, tone down the hostility!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Beginner Class

2 stroke break in for me usually consists of a warm up with a slight elevation of revs then a ride on the streets varying the revs and not flogging the engine but loading it up enough once warm to put it under a slight load ie higher gear and part throttle. Another thing I DO NOT do is add extra oil in the first tank I just run it at the normal pre mix rate.

4 stroke as stated before DO NOT use synthetic oil on break in but treat the engine as stated above for the 2 stroke.

In the end the last thing you want to do is absolutely flog the engine straight after the rebuild as everything needs time to bed in, but on the other hand not to baby it enough to let the cylinder wall to glaze up.

What I have found in the past the best thing to clean a glazed up nickel sil bore is to use CRC gasket stripper, it dissolves the hardest baked on oil the only thing is to keep it off painted surfaces as tends to strip the paint. As a example I did a rebuild years ago on a mates RMX and you could not see the cross hatching on the cylinder but after a quick hit with the gasket stripper it was visible again.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Expert Class

Man. It looks like there may be more than one way to skin a cat. or break-in an engine. I'll throw in my $.02 worth:
Cylinder/rings = dry
roller bearings and seals = couple drops of whatever kind of oil will be used.
New cams and plain insert bearings = moly
After a good initial warm-up, run the pee-pee out of it.
Make the first couple oil changes fairly soon.
Check the head / cylinder torques after a couple runs.
I don't have any official or professional mechanical credentials to bolster my opinions or methods but I do know this: I've built a lot of engines in my 50+ years and never had a failure. They run strong and long. I've always found that tear-down is about the best teacher and arbiter, when you know how the engine has been ran.
I like to give a lot of credit to factory engineers and modern production materials and methods. It's easy to argue that a person could do better, more precise machining operations than a computer- but in practice it isn't necessarily true. And factories have to engineer and build machinery for unknown buyers with varying uses, habits, and conditions. Their tolerances are better than most would believe.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
ATM! Addict

I like dry.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_YZF View Post
I have bought quite a few brand new four strokes and I have babied some, and ridden the heck out of others and I honestly have never been able to tell a difference.
My experience has been the same, it seems to be more of a psycologial, emotional experience. What I noticed was how I felt for each ride. The ones i babied were my favorites.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro Class

with two strokes, i just ran the biscuts out of them even after a fresh top end build. one ride for a warm up ride, then come back, let it cool, then warm it up and ride it like i stole it!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > General Dirt Bike Knowledge Base