All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Vintage Riding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmannn129 View Post
I have always enjoyed that type of bike. I plan on tracking one down one of these days, But I am currently restoring a 1979 DT 100 and a vintage donkey kong arcade machine. A buddy of mine in Eureka CA restored one of those Rokons. He also painted camo but used real leaves as stencils. It turned out pretty good. I would also like to restore a Unimog some day as well.
Rokons are out there for the finding. They are a pretty special-use machine and a lot of owners become disillusioned after a short time, so they get parked and neglected. You can get them at a good price if the owner is reasonable and doesn't watch "Pawn Stars". That show, "American Restoration", and "American Pickers" have skewed people's opinions of what old junk might be worth.
I'm picturing a restored 'Mog with a matching Trailbreaker in the back. No telling where I might end up.. The BLM would have to fly in and bust me.
Good luck with the DK project. If you have an original and not a knock-off, the cabinet could be tough to restore to original.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Expert Class

As the assortment of parts hanging on the back wall shrinks, this thing looks more and more like a motorcycle. Well, as much as it will ever look like a motorcycle that is.
I did the fore and aft mud flaps out of some rubber sheeting a neighbor gave me. He said his company uses it to keep gophers out of underground things. It looked like it would work well for keeping mud off me, if I should happen to hit the gas whilst traversing deep muck. Having a driven front wheel pretty much makes flung dung a reality.
I finished up the two LED lights today too. The injection-molded plastic look wasn't happening so I looked around and found suitable covers that weren't too hard to adapt. They're "Progresso" soup cans if anyone thinks they look familiar. The soup in them wasn't bad either. The wires coming out of the back looked like they might easily get torn off by bushes or bungees so I tucked them in 5/16ths hydraulic tubes and fittings.

I got the rear seat and butt-bar pad upholstery put on too. The Mrs. did the stichin', I stuck it on.
There was an unanticipated benefit to adding the rear seat and rear pegs. Project funding got much easier.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
ATM! Addict

my wife would just wonder who I was going to put on there.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Expert Class

Default assist credits

Like I mentioned, my wife did the lay-out and fabbing of the soft goods. The main seat came out as good as the rear one and the butt-bar pad. I wasn't thinking when I made the seat base out of all metal. Since I don't own a staple gun that will go through .080 aluminum, I had to make a somewhat complicated series of flat clamps that goes around the perimeter, held by sheet metal screws, to anchor the fabric. Contact cement might have worked, but the thought of engine heat, desert heat, and my bouncing heft made me want something more secure.
"America", one of my favorite music groups from the 70's gets credit for the tank name, (or lack thereof) If you know any of the words to the song, the name is a good fit.
I'm sensing a YouTube music video debut......
My youngest daughter gets credit for the stencil art. I tried drawing a horse's head but it kept turning out like a camel - or a poodle. And those were the ones I could recognize. Beverly hit it right first time the pencil hit the cardboard; then dulled a couple #11 Xacto blades cutting it out.

Last edited by Tracker; 04-02-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Expert Class

I had a bit of a set-back but things are moving forward now. I wanted the drive-line miterboxes to be right- really right because they are pretty important and I had never been inside one. So I paid a guy back east to set them up.
That didn't work out so well.
So - I chocked it up to the education process, bit my lip, and tore into them. Yeah, it took some time but they are good now. For car guys - They are like a rear end but you can't see the gear contact pattern and there is no bearing pre-load; all feel and measurements.

From right to left:
>Rear miterbox that gets power from the engine and splits it two directions. The black sprocket on top connects the rear wheel and the driveshaft comes out of the center toward the front end. The lower, (input) shaft of this box has a brake disc too. I added the extended shaft because I like the idea of having two different brakes. Why not? I have two hands and handlebars with two levers.
>In the driveshaft to the left of the rear box is the (take your pick) over-ride / differential / spring wrap clutch; whatever you want to call it. Its purpose is to slip when the front wheel needs to turn faster than the rear; and to lock together when power is put to the rear or braking pressure is put to the front wheel.
>The driveshaft rides inside the main frame backbone tube. The aluminum block near the left side holds a support bearing.
>U-joint - so you can turn the handlebars and steer.
>Front miter box. All it does on this model is drive the front wheel. Newer Rokons have an extended shaft (like I added on the rear) for a brake disc. I have a front brake in the wheel.
Once this driveline was installed I felt like I had cleared a major hurdle and things can move a bit quicker. From here forward, I don't have to take anything back apart or do any fabrication. For the first time on this project I have the Lock-Tite out.

Here's where the u-joint and front miterbox will live.

The front rack, lights, and chain guard went on after the front miterbox.
This is getting fun.

Last edited by Tracker; 04-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Expert Class

A friend asked me if it was a "rolling chassis" yet. I wasn't sure, but since I live on a hill I pushed it up my street and put it to the test.
Yup.
I remembered to hook up the brakes so it's a stopping chassis too.

motor time tomorrow
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Expert Class

Looks fantastic! They're a lot quieter that way.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Isn't that kinda like putting the wagon before the horse???

JK. Looks great. Get that puppy running and shoot some pics of you climbing a boulder..... (on it of course)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAL View Post
Isn't that kinda like putting the wagon before the horse???
I couldn't resist. I had to ride it.
Quote:
Get that puppy running and shoot some pics of you climbing a boulder..... (on it of course)

The donor trike had a couple broken fins on the cylinder so I got a FleaBay replacement cylinder / piston to put on. I was pleased to see there was no trace of water or stray metal when I got inside. I'm going to hone and ring it but I'm not going to split the cases. The intake valve seat was a little dished so I'll have a shop look at that.
Yesterday I thought I was going to be able to get caught up on a mountain of admin details at work - so I would be able to take a little time off and finish this thing.
I guess it wasn't meant to be.
A pesky mountain lion decided that a residence in west Lancaster was a good place to hang out. However the homeowner, cops, media, and I thought the forest would be a much better place for it to be. I tried to reason with it but it wouldn't listen. A cocktail of tiletemine hydrochloride and zoolazapam delivered to its backside made it much more agreeable.

While I was waiting for it to wake up I figured out how to take pics and movies with my phone.
Everything worked out, but the incident and now all the paperwork associated with this stuff will wipe out at least a day and a half.
Maybe I'll make a tow-able gurney so I can take these wayward critters WAY back in there.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Looks like you have a neat job. Nice pic of the kitty.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Intermediate Class

Tracker nice bike. What do you do for a living?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870 View Post
Until 1/1/13 I was a Game Warden, (who was foolish enough to promote to lieutenant several years ago). Then we got our name and titles changed so technically I'm a "Wildlife Officer" for California.
Many moons ago I figured out how to put a tranquilizer dart in an animal's butt so that became kind of an infrequent side duty. It beats pushing paper and my mom likes to see me on the news.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870 View Post
Hey 870, he's on a 1st name basis with a couple of bears that come back to see him once in a while......honest injun. He lets them sleep every now and then.
Ummm, Tracker, you know those bears can out run the scooter yer building.....
Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Ummm, Tracker, you know those bears can out run the scooter yer building.....
Yeah, probably so. But I don't play fair. I resort to chemical warfare. It slows 'em down substantially.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrm250 View Post
Awesome! btw how much does that thing weigh?
agreed
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrm250
Awesome! btw how much does that thing weigh?
The bike or the bruin? I guess I jacked my own thread.
I haven't had enough pieces together at one time to be worth weighing it yet. Similar projects all seem to end up around 250, a lot more than the stock 210. I ride a fairly hefty bike normally so it shouldn't be a problem for me. This thing sits low too. Even with the 15" of ground clearance my knees are bent with my feet flat on the ground when I sit on it. OssaGP gets credit for my favorite comeback to the weight question:
"I don't care what it weighs. I'm not going to carry it, I'm going to ride it."

"Meatball" the bear weighed 502 at his medical work-up.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Expert Class

I had some bench time this weekend while I waited to see if the wildfire was going to get my town. We didn't get evacuated so the motor is done and ready to be installed.
To preserve the peace and ensure domestic tranquility I've decided to drag the toyhauler (sans toys) up to the Central Coast this coming week fo a wittle west and wewaxation.
I got the whole month off so I'm pretty sure this thing will be in my town's Fourth of July parade.
I live in a small town. To qualify for the parade,your vehicle has to be able to move under its own power- or be towed - or be pushed.

Last edited by Tracker; 06-03-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM
ATM! Pro Class

That shift lever brings back memories of my youth and my hero for many years

Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
That shift lever brings back memories of my youth and my hero for many years
My bedroom walls were also adorned with a poster or two. My mom still points out the scotch-tape marks under several layers of paint. Now I'll be looking for a blood-shot eyeball I can thread and screw on in place of that forklift knob.
My neighbor has a rat-rod with an original "Big Daddy"- Sugar Bush painted on the trunk lid. If he can find a plain lid for a '32 he's going to make the artwork a wall-hanger.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Expert Class

I decided to finish engine details and see if I can fire it up on the bench. What's left of my poor BBQ cook plate, with some old furniture castors, made a good test stand. It was handy to be able to swivel the engine around at a comfortable height and attend to the last few things. Setting the CDI trigger gap reminded me of setting the magneto gap on a Briggs and Stratton. A playing card was the correct thickness for the Briggs but the Honda needed to be a lot closer. If it matters to anyone, a current California hunting license printed on the blue thermal paper is just a hair (and a thin one at that) over .002.
Assuming I can figure out where all the wires go, this thing is getting close to firing up.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Vintage Riding