All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Novice Class

Talking Why Tread Lightly!...?

Treading Lightly is one of the best practices that we as public land users can do to make sure that we can not only continue to use our public lands in a variety of recreational manners, but also make sure that the natural resources and experiences remain intact for future generations. Its not about restriction, but rather about responsibility for our public lands and to ourselves, our friends and families, other visitors, and future generations.

So what does it mean to "Tread Lightly"? Well, we've developed our 5 Principles to break it down to basics:

Tread Lightly! Principles

Travel Responsibly on land by staying on designated roads, trails and areas. Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails. Cross streams only at designated crossings. When possible avoid wet, muddy trails. On water, stay on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.

Respect the Rights of Others including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers and others so they can enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed. Leave gates as you found them. Yield right of way to those passing you or going uphill. On water, respect anglers, swimmers, skiers, boaters, divers and those on or near shore.

Educate Yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies. Plan for your trip, take recreation skills classes and know how to operate your equipment safely.

Avoid Sensitive Areas on land such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams. Stay on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitats and sensitive soils from damage. Don’t disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites. On water, avoid operating your watercraft in shallow waters or near shorelines at high speeds.

Do Your Part by modeling appropriate behavior, leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species and repairing degraded areas.

We gain a lot by Treading Lightly as a community. Please help us by promoting the Tread Lightly! ethics whenever you can.

For more information: Tread Lightly - Home

Also, you can follow us with social media!

Facebook: Tread Lightly! | Facebook
Twitter: Twitter
Myspace: Tread Lightly (Tread Lightly!) on Myspace

Thanks for the support!! And please, feel free to ask here if you have any questions or desire for clarification, at all.

(Mods... Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Didn't see a Land Use / Etc forum. Please feel free to move if you have a better place. Thank you.)

Last edited by treadlightly; 03-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Age is a state of Mind

This spot works and thank for posting this.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Manufacturer Dude

Great post, great information.

Thanks for posting!

Scott
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thanks and you know it only takes a small percentage of people to ruin it for the rest of us, so if you can educate your buddies and friends.

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_393 View Post
This spot works and thank for posting this.
Absolutely. Thanks for your support. Any way to sticky the thread please?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Yep it's stickied now.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Novice Class

Tip of the week:

With many areas in western states still receiving snow (the year of the endless winter?) and high snowpack levels throughout, it is important to take a few things into consideration before heading out.

1) Check with local land managers to see if seasonal opening dates on gated trails have been extended.
2) Minimize use of extremely wet trails to avoid the creation of ruts.
3) Go through patches of snow, not around.
4) Be prepared in case the weather changes on you. Think extra clothing, water, food, and gear to spend the night if things get real bad.

Most of all... have fun and be safe out there!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 PM
ATM! Pro Class

went riding with my wife this weekend.... at a public riding area and it was pretty busy. One thing that should be obvious but does not seem to be, and it is more of a problem with younger riders on quads .... or seems to be.

When your in the parking area.... be respectful of people, SLOW DOWN keep the dust level down! never be on the throttle blasting around parked cars and or people.

I swear sometimes I just want to smack kids that do that!

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodging_roost View Post
went riding with my wife this weekend.... at a public riding area and it was pretty busy. One thing that should be obvious but does not seem to be, and it is more of a problem with younger riders on quads .... or seems to be.

When your in the parking area.... be respectful of people, SLOW DOWN keep the dust level down! never be on the throttle blasting around parked cars and or people.

I swear sometimes I just want to smack kids that do that!

Thanks
Scott
This really does come down to common courtesy. Staging areas, campgrounds, etc are not riding areas. Please save the riding for the trails. Your complaint is common, and is one that is also used against the OHV community when it comes to travel management.

Also, letting younger riders play around and practice riding in staging areas can be very dangerous with the high levels of traffic. Look for riding opportunities that include kids or learning tracks (the BLM in Colorado has been very good about providing those) so that our younger riders have a safe place to ride.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Novice Class

Tip of the week:

Now that summer has officially begun (by our definition, not the calendar's)... lets talk sharing and courteous use.

1) Be aware that with very few exceptions, almost all motorized areas are open to the vast majority of other uses. This could mean hikers, equestrians, and of course other riders/drivers in the area. Slow down in tighter areas and where visibility is reduced.
2) Motorized users yield to everyone, everyone yields to equestrians. Stop and say hello to other users if given the opportunity.
3) Use caution around equestrians. While many trail horses are getting more accustomed to vehicular travel, they can still be easily spooked. Stop well ahead of them, and turn off your engine unless waived by. On quads and dirt bikes, stop on the downhill side of the trail, as a horse's instinct with uphill movement is to anticipate a predator.
4) In general, yield to uphill traffic. This is not a rule, it's a guideline. Use common sense please, and most of all be patient. We've all been in situations where its in the best interest of all parties to yield to downhill traffic.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Pro Class

good stuff
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Yield ... I thought it was "get the H3LL out of the way I'm commin through" Just kidding but I have run into people who act like that. It usually does not bother me as I get a chuckle a ways down the trail when they are on their heads....

Good stuff keep it coming.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Novice Class

Happy Monday everyone! (Yes, I know... its a crime to be excited for a Monday, but still.)

Today's Tip of the Week takes on a different form... More of a discussion of the week.

Under the "Do Your Part" principle, we encourage all OHV enthusiasts to be ambassadors to not only the general public, but also within our community. This includes holding our peers accountable and promoting the Tread Lightly! ethic to those who may be unaware or uninterested... So here's the question:

Have you ever approached someone on the trail who was where they shouldn't have been, or doing something that could be considered irresponsible recreation? How did you handle that situation? What was the outcome?

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodging_roost View Post
Yield ... I thought it was "get the H3LL out of the way I'm commin through" Just kidding but I have run into people who act like that. It usually does not bother me as I get a chuckle a ways down the trail when they are on their heads....

Good stuff keep it coming.

Thanks
Scott
We call that "trail karma"... and you're welcome.

Thanks for the support
Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Novice Class

Hope everyone is enjoying the start to the weekend!

Tip of the week:

Again, as part of both the "Educate Yourself" and "Do Your Part" principles, this week I am encouraging everyone to take a small amount of time out of your evening and complete our Online Awareness Course.

This online activity covers the basics of the Tread Lightly! principles and is a wonderful way to quiz your knowledge of what responsible recreation means to us as a community.

Enjoy: Tread Lightly - Online Awareness Course

Also, everyone who completes the course is entered into a drawing for a free hat, courtesy of Cabelas.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Novice Class

Good afternoon everyone!!

Tip of the week:

With the 4th of July holiday weekend rapidly approaching, we hope that you and your friends and families are making plans to head outdoors to enjoy some responsible fun and celebration. Since we figure (and hope) that many of you will be camping, we wanted to toss out a few reminders about campsite ethics.

- Look for previously-used campsites, and camp on durable surfaces.
- Campsites should be at least 200ft from water sources, other campsites, and trails. Pay attention to local regulations (MVUMs, etc) concerning how far your vehicle can be off the trail for camping.
- Keep a clean camp. Place food and other products with odors in animal-proof containers or back in vehicles.
- Follow the pack it in, pack it out guidelines. Police your camp before you leave to leave it in better condition than you found it.
- Campfires are not for waste disposal. Please do not leave trash in campfire rings, especially glass.

All that said, lets all cross our fingers for beautiful weather and get back to planning that perfect trip!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Expert Class

Good stuff, and oh so true.
Treadlightly, you speak like a government employee. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I am too.
I hope the youngsters realize how much is at stake and heed this advice. When I'm camping / riding with a big group I make it a point to tell old riding stories. I do this to demonstrate how much has been loss because too many of the last couple of generations didn't appreciate the damage they did to our sport with their lack of foresight.
I'll get down and stop here.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Novice Class

Good evening friends!

Decided to step it into a new direction this week. Instead of a tip of the week, we'd like to know the answer to a simple (potentially) question.

Why do you ride or wheel? Lets hear it. Where did you start? Who hooked you? Etc, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Good stuff, and oh so true.
Treadlightly, you speak like a government employee. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I am too.
I hope the youngsters realize how much is at stake and heed this advice. When I'm camping / riding with a big group I make it a point to tell old riding stories. I do this to demonstrate how much has been loss because too many of the last couple of generations didn't appreciate the damage they did to our sport with their lack of foresight.
I'll get down and stop here.
Spent a lot of time with you guys, hence the "speaking like a .gov employee"...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Novice Class

Hope everyone had an amazing 4th of July weekend!!

Anyone have any good trail/riding stories to share from the holiday?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Beginner Class

Angry

sorry for doing this but how do you make a thread i can't figure it out
Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Age is a state of Mind

All Things Moto! Web Forums - FAQ: General Forum Usage

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion