All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Beginner Class

Default What to look for when buying a used bike.

About 3 years ago i bought my 01 Cr250 and it blew the first 2 hours i rode it, i didnt mind to much because i knew how to rebuild it and figured i would have to...... well 3,000 later i love the bike i have everything i could ever want on it. but a friend today is going to look at a used 2 smoker also and i was just wondering if yall had any tips on what to look for thanks.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Pro Class

check wheel bearings for play
check linkage for play
check steering bearings for play.

Take a look at the air filter, airbox. It is a dirt farm? odds are the rest of the bike is too.
How much wear is on the frame? clutch cover, wear idicates use.
Tell the guy you want to see how the bike starts cold. Feel the motor when you get there to make sure he didn't warm it up before you got there.
Ask to pull the plug.
Is the bike generally a mess? look like it hasn't been cleaned or degreased in a while? Dirty bikes usually don't get worked on.
Look to see how far back the chain adjusters are.
Check the brake pads. Do the brakes feel like mush?

I've got the shaft on buying the bike the first time, that was the last haha.

Oh and most definitely check compression.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:47 PM
novice

i would look for condition of bearings,spring back of shocks front and rear things visibly
broke off from front to back even compression.For a excellent running honda cr 250- 2001
about 2000 dollars or any 2001 250. buyer be ware
Old 07-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Expert Class

Foot pegs show a lot.
If the pin is worn you can bet the bike has a lot of hours on it.
Check the bottom frame rails for abuse.
Mostly it just takes thought to weed out a possible bad bike.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Intermediate Class

If the seller cannot supply a recent top end rebuild receipt,you know it will need doing no matter the condition of the bike.Unless its had an hour meter on it since new,you will never know.Factor this into your negotiations with the seller.As mentioned,check compression and cold start.Look for missing fasteners and check for any abuse.New plastics and tyres can make a bad bike look good,so delve deeper and take your time.Ask lots of questions......

Good Luck
Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Intermediate Class

I agree with all that others have mentioned.

If everything looks and feels sound on the outside and a purchase is made, especially on a two stroke, best thing to do would be to buy a top-end gasket kit. (usually around $20 to $30 on most bikes) Pull the top end and check it out.

If all meets specifications like ring gaps, reeds, cylinder bore, piston, and the crankshaft/connecting rod is in good order, clean it up and put it back together. Cost: ≈$20 to $30

If all is not well, like say the crankshaft/connecting rod is worn out, it can be fixed before any major damage happens if the engine grenades. Cost: Less than a grenaded engine typically.

I have seen too many engines that a previous owner says, "the top end was just rebuilt." What they leave out and don't say is the fact that the engine died on them. So, they pulled the top end to find the piston in peices, the cylinder was damaged from the debris, a skirt on the cylinder cracked, all due to the crankshaft/connecting rod being worn out. Instead of rebuilding due to cost or fear of having to split the cases, yes, only a new piston and rings were installed to be able to sell a running bike. Thus, "The top end was just rebuilt!" ..... Well, often enough, two hours later...... yeah...... not a good feeling....

Good luck to your friend.

E
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo8 View Post
Unless its had an hour meter on it since new,you will never know.Factor this into your negotiations with the seller.
Even that can be a crap shoot. When I bought my 2012 KX it had an hour meter on it that said 10 hours, and going over the rest of the bike it looked like a 10 hour bike for the most part. Air filter was clean as was the air box, plastics and graphics were almost perfect, no play in the bearings, minimal wear on the clutch cover, one ding in the rear wheel but the PO said that may have been from him switching the rear tire over. Then I got the bike home and got the tank off to do some maintenance... I could see the valve cover bolts had been removed with the wrong size wrench a few times, a couple hidden missing bolts, frayed throttle cables and a few other issues and I knew it wasn't a 10 hour bike. I guessed around 50, took it to the dealer and had them hook up the diagnostic tool and it had 54 hours on it.
That said, next time I buy used I will be looking closely at commonly removed bolts to see if they are rounded off and look much more closely for any missing or replaced hardware. Another good idea for 2t bikes is to pull the pipe off and get a peek at the piston through the exhaust port.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion