All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Expert Class

Default what about chat?

i know we were having problems with the chat system and it was taken away. but it has been a long time and i miss chat. i liked instant talking to the people on this site. can anyone tell my when it is comming back if it is at all. i feel that we should bring it back!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: what about chat?

Originally the chat system itself had problems and was taken down for technical reasons. I'll bring it up with the mods and see if that is still the case and Woody_CRF just hasn't had a chance to fix the chat feature or not?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 PM
will fall over

QUOTE: Woody_CRF 8.13.05...Chat... hmmm, no time soon. Just got back from a weeks vacation and I'm slammed with stuff for the next couple of weeks at least.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I've talked with Woody_CRF and he said he's gotten the chat problem fixed, he just hasent had time to get it all working and put back on the site yet...
Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Novice Class

Default hey

I am a network administrator of seven years (not bragging, capable) and I have offered several times in these forums to set you guys up an IRC server and IRC services however you like it. I think it would be incredible. I can even set one up on my lan/domain and setup some admins and ops out of this userbase if you guys just want to advertise and link to it. I don't have a website, and I don't want your traffic. I want to help ATM and it's userbase because I ******* love them. All my offers so far have not been brought up, and they weren't replied to or got deleted. I am sorry but the chat software on ATM is nothing less then laughable, and I think this is a great idea for reasons already said and if you guys are busy you can just let the userbase run it off my lan and do nothing except link to it and tell people about it. I know of several vulnerabilities that have been out for flashchat, including one with the current version that is still unknown. Not to mention it beats the life out of your webserver. Pretty much any web based chat will do that. IRC is a completely seperate service that does not have to be on the same machine or network as the webserver keeping things fast. I also made a "fun thread" here to keep off topic posts in which was working incredibly well by giving people a place to let out steam, have fun and even flame a bit but keeping good topics from getting thrashed. It was working until it got deleted. You admins are good guys but you should listen to some of your userbase' s ideas. If it weren't for them you wouldn't be here.

Last edited by mikerm; 08-25-2005 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:27 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerm
I am a network administrator of seven years (not bragging, capable) and I have offered several times in these forums to set you guys up an IRC server and IRC services however you like it. I think it would be incredible. I can even set one up on my lan/domain and setup some admins and ops out of this userbase if you guys just want to advertise and link to it. I don't have a website, and I don't want your traffic. I want to help ATM and it's userbase because I ******* love them. All my offers so far have not been brought up, and they weren't replied to or got deleted. I am sorry but the chat software on ATM is nothing less then laughable, and I think this is a great idea for reasons already said and if you guys are busy you can just let the userbase run it off my lan and do nothing except link to it and tell people about it. I know of several vulnerabilities that have been out for flashchat, including one with the current version that is still unknown. Not to mention it beats the life out of your webserver. Pretty much any web based chat will do that. IRC is a completely seperate service that does not have to be on the same machine or network as the webserver keeping things fast. I also made a "fun thread" here to keep off topic posts in which was working incredibly well by giving people a place to let out steam, have fun and even flame a bit but keeping good topics from getting thrashed. It was working until it got deleted. You admins are good guys but you should listen to some of your userbase' s ideas. If it weren't for them you wouldn't be here.

Mike, thanks for the offers. It's the first I've heard from you about them.
But I don't think there is any problem with the chat software/programming. The current interface may not be leading-class MSN/AIM/IRC standards but I think it's more than adequate for this site.
Although I can see some benefits of your quality setup, I think what we have is sufficient for the amount of members that use the chat.
The problems that were caused from the ChatRoom previously didn't warrant or encourage further improvement or upgrading of the chat. It actually had to be patched to prevent the trouble.

If anyone is still wondering about chat or have any questions then feel free to PM myself or any other mod.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Novice Class

Default re

Alright well if I can help because you guys are busy let me know i'd be glad too. I was thinking you could also just make a channel on freenode and be done with it. I am guessing people didn't use it because it was inconvenient. You can just minimize an IRC client and watch the room when you like. as far as not many people using it you have to give into it and build a community. I am sure these forums started slow with three posts but some people were dedicated and so they were built with time, you know what I mean. I know my website was dead in the start but a group of me and about six people never gave up. When I finally did shut my website down it had 3,000 members, about 1,500 were active and it had gigabytes of content. Chat here no matter what you use as long as it's decent would take off I just know it. It's your game though.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Expert Class

The IRC idea is the best I've heard....
Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Novice Class

Default re

You can google for a good IRC client.

/server irc.freenode.net

/join #allthingsmoto

/nick yournick

/msg nickserv register anypassword

If I sit here myself with some members all the time fine. If you mods/admins want your piece of it let me know it's still your game. We are going to need channel operators. Think, "mods" but for a chatroom. If this post gets deleted thats messed up and I will probably ditch this account and be read only. If it stays, come look at this room in a week. I could use some people in this forum or with admin power to advertise in the forums and the website.

Last edited by mikerm; 08-25-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
ATM! Addict

there were no problems with the chat system....just the way it was being abused.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Novice Class

Default re

I did not know that it was abused but I guessed that in my last post. That's what I am talking about. Web based chat is nothing shorter then laughable. You choose your IRC channel operators carefully and if someone mouths off you just kick/ban them. I already made the IRC I am in it right now and will continue to idle there until you guys catch on and it picks up. I like this idea of putting our channel on freenode rather then hosting it at ATM or my lan for two reasons. Neither I nor ATM have a connection that can't be attacked via denial of service attacks by some punk kid. But if it's on freenode, freenode is HUGE. Plus it's less responsibility because you don't have to worry about server issues. Also I can set you guys up an IRC java applet at the ATM website so the ones who want it in the browser rather then connecting to IRC can enjoy it as well. I am telling you guys I have the experience I did all this for my website. You will love it, and I expect nothing in return except the satisfaction of just how cool this userbase having there own IRC will be with another level of one on one communication. I am not pushing this any further. Do not delete this thread I want to see what other people think, and maybe you guys should too. If you are interested contact me.

Last edited by mikerm; 08-25-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

i miss the chat ...would be ncie to get it back.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Novice Class

bring it back!!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Yeah, us race buddies can have our race talk back...good times.......good times
Old 08-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Novice Class

I am sitting in here alone. If you want it back come get it.
irc.freenode.net #allthingsmoto
Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Novice Class

im not exactly a racing person but i do what i can haha
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerm
I am sitting in here alone. If you want it back come get it.
irc.freenode.net #allthingsmoto
soo if I enter that in my search bar, it should take me to an ATM chat room??
Old 08-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Novice Class

No you won't be able to connect to IRC via a web browser until the admins either allow me to setup a java applet client or they do it themselves. You have to connect the standard way with an IRC client. It is easy don;t feel like it's over your head. It's like installing and starting an instant messenger and I am here to help you if you need it. google for an IRC client.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkThaMan
bring it back!!
that s what i say
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Missing the days of riding

didnt we aleady have a thread like this...?

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion