All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag We are still alive and kicking

Hello all,
Wanted to drop in and say that John and I are still breathing, just not riding any longer, I am not allowed to due to kidney failure and kidney disease from all the various surgeries and what not over the decade of 2000-2010. I can not do anything that might damage a kidney as they function very, very lowly and are prone to failing easily, (done it twice resulting in ICU stays, next time means dialysis for a while.) Right now a very restrictive nutrition plan and careful exercise keep all the kidney function numbers in the green, I've managed to trim off 80 lbs in a little over a year. I am super careful and keep things managed day to day.

Enough about that, nothing to see there, anyway. Don't feel sorry for myself, I feel blessed and I am doing as well as can be expected, still a civil engineer but restricted in what I can do and I have been taken off the job sites by the doctors. I ride my bicycle daily to keep the pumper (heart) cleaned out and to get some fresh air. No motorcycle riding allowed and I am selling my pristine 2002 YZ 426F, soon.

John finished college and is an instructor in English and a Second Language at the University of West Florida. He is now a distance runner and works out at the university gym, also. No motorcycle any longer, either. He sold his last one, a 2007 YZ 125 before he began his senior College year.

Feel free to P.M. me, everyone, and I'll be lurking about some from time to time. Hopefully Woody, Motodad, YZErnie, Cowboy, Char and the old timers won't shoot me or delete my account for being AWOL for so long, it has been kind of difficult to come to terms with no longer being able to ride or travel very much. I meant no offense to all of you, but I don't blame everyone for saying it was rude not to check back in. Monica's dad passed away in 2011 and things have been very tough/grim in the business as construction here has almost stopped and the Navy bases haven't offered any projects for open bid in several years, that is my specialty and responsibility, so I have had to adapt and except a whole lot of change at once. Quite a fun ride for a while if you are in to that kind of punishment.

Take care and stay safe while shredding up the dirt, remember how lucky you are to be a dirt biker.

Semper Fi,
Bill Barnard

PS: Thanks for leaving my smilie on the list Woody, you guys still rock!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
will fall over

Great to hear from you Bill, I think about you and John from time to time and wonder how things are going for you, thanks for the update.
You take care buddy
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM
ATM! Addict

Hey Bill.....
Thanks for the update and you are missed bud.
Thanks for you E-mail and it's saved...LOL
I figure I can trade it for a Corona one of these days.
Don't let go bud.

Signed...Another old fart. He He...Char is giggling.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Pro Class

Good to hear your still with us ole friend. Iím sure youíll keep up the health rehab and get the most out of it just like any good Marine. (Adapt and Overcome)

Still been keeping you and your whole family in my prayers. Apparently God isnít thru with you yet.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Good to hear from you Bill!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM
ATM! Addict

You had me wondering too. Life after "dirtbike". Don't want to think about that, but sooner or later I supose I will be too. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Pro Class

Good to hear from You Bill!
Life is good ,John is grown ,Finished collage and a Teacher now
You and Monica are still Happily together!
Sorry to hear the dirtbike has been parked,But that doesn't make the Man
that We know and Love!
Stay strong My Brother
Don OSF
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
JOATMON

I'll just go ahead and speak for everyone here at ATM and say that you are ALWAYS welcome here Bill, bike or not. I can't say I really blame you for laying low for a while, you've been dealing with a tremendous amount of stuff personally and most times its best to do just what you did.
Glad to hear John is doing well and succeeding in life and that things are going a bit better for you. I hope your 02 finds a deserving home, I know it was your pride and joy for many years. I'm tempted to ask what your price is myself...
Best of luck to you, John and Monica and hopefully you can stick your head in from time to time and keep us in line
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Bill - SUPER GOOD to hear your doing OK. Glad all is well as can be and that Monica and John are doing good. How is Elizabeth doing?

All is well here, Shannon bought a house last year, work and supports herself. I am real proud of her. Suzette is still teaching HS Special Need children and thrives on it. I may ride over that way later this year and I will make it a point to stop by.

So glad all is working out for your folks. Don't be a stranger on ATM. We will talk soon. Congrats on shedding 85 pounds! I would love to shed half of that. :

All the Best,
Mike Berg
Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

Bill,

You're always welcome here in the ATM world. Sent you a PM. I don't ride two wheel dirt scooters any longer but that doesn't keep me off of here....to many old (not you Char) friends here.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 AM
Semper Fidelis

Thanks everyone, its good to see so many still here. I appreciate all the well wishes very much. One member I hadn't met, Hamersly sent me a nice PM, its great to know that there are new members that are so kind and thoughtful, here. I don't do very well on the phone, if you should call here, still dealing with a few things, but any PM or email will be answered, promptly.

Everyone take care, be safe and keep Doin' it in the Dirt!!!!!

Bill
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM
cha cha

Great to hear from you Bill! Dirtscooter, no dirtscooter...it doesn't matter. I can understand keeping a distance though.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 AM
Beginner Class

Default greetings from France

Nothing to say. I just understand because i know how things can go, sometimes. Anyway, it's good to be still alive. Greetings from France. It's raining but we don't care...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 393 View Post
Hello all,
Wanted to drop in and say that John and I are still breathing, just not riding any longer, I am not allowed to due to kidney failure and kidney disease from all the various surgeries and what not over the decade of 2000-2010. I can not do anything that might damage a kidney as they function very, very lowly and are prone to failing easily, (done it twice resulting in ICU stays, next time means dialysis for a while.) Right now a very restrictive nutrition plan and careful exercise keep all the kidney function numbers in the green, I've managed to trim off 80 lbs in a little over a year. I am super careful and keep things managed day to day.

Enough about that, nothing to see there, anyway. Don't feel sorry for myself, I feel blessed and I am doing as well as can be expected, still a civil engineer but restricted in what I can do and I have been taken off the job sites by the doctors. I ride my bicycle daily to keep the pumper (heart) cleaned out and to get some fresh air. No motorcycle riding allowed and I am selling my pristine 2002 YZ 426F, soon.

John finished college and is an instructor in English and a Second Language at the University of West Florida. He is now a distance runner and works out at the university gym, also. No motorcycle any longer, either. He sold his last one, a 2007 YZ 125 before he began his senior College year.

Feel free to P.M. me, everyone, and I'll be lurking about some from time to time. Hopefully Woody, Motodad, YZErnie, Cowboy, Char and the old timers won't shoot me or delete my account for being AWOL for so long, it has been kind of difficult to come to terms with no longer being able to ride or travel very much. I meant no offense to all of you, but I don't blame everyone for saying it was rude not to check back in. Monica's dad passed away in 2011 and things have been very tough/grim in the business as construction here has almost stopped and the Navy bases haven't offered any projects for open bid in several years, that is my specialty and responsibility, so I have had to adapt and except a whole lot of change at once. Quite a fun ride for a while if you are in to that kind of punishment.

Take care and stay safe while shredding up the dirt, remember how lucky you are to be a dirt biker.

Semper Fi,
Bill Barnard

PS: Thanks for leaving my smilie on the list Woody, you guys still rock!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 AM
ATM Contributor!

Glad to hear you are still kicking Bill! Always knew you were a tough one!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag Like a bad penny, I keep turning back up

Hola all,
Just been wondering what everyone was up to these days, Monica keeps up as best as she can with Mike Berg through Facebook. I just don't care much for the FB way of life, tried it twice and finally gave it up completely.

Its been an interesting time since March 2014 for me. I got concerned about what I was afraid might be esophageal cancer about the time I posted the last time to start this thread. Turns out my swallowing problems were the symptom that led to my diagnosis of having Parkinson's Disease.

I had several other symptoms that bothered me the last decade or so, but never had any idea that it would be this pathway for my life. Dizziness upon standing, falling frequently, shortened gait, tremors in my hands, and RLS that got extremely painful and cost me many nights of sleep. I did a lot of research and found a good neurologist to start my confirming what the ENT doc had found from checking out my throat issues. Now I am on a medication, Mirapex/Pramipexole, a dopamine agonist, that keeps my various symptoms manageable.

I have kept up my cycling, ventured into Classic and Vintage Italian bicycles and I have built two that are daily riders now. Its interesting to research which components are correct and them hunt them down. I ride 6 days each week, 20-30 miles each time, on the roads around our rural, agricultural area. I managed to get down to a low of 170 lb, but my primary care physician wasn't happy with my developing anemia at that point, so I am up around 180-188 give or take. Still a vegetarian too (since 2012,) it worked to get past Stage IIIB kidney failure, up to perfect kidney function numbers now.

John is married now, and they live in New Hampshire where his wife teaches French, and John is working on his Master's Degree, in linguistics, at University of New Hampshire. They are on the way here for summer vacation right now, we went up to NH last spring and it will be great to see them again tomorrow afternoon, hopefully.

My big thing is retirement in about two months, the construction for military bases around here, and lack of construction by the schools and county/city governments has finished us off. I'm at peace with not being able to do something about this, but its nothing I can control. I will be helping Monica with her business, and doing volunteer work somewhere.

Perhaps I'll get a wild hair and get the YZ426 running and finally sell it, it is still in almost new condition and is looking like it could be ridden anytime. Fresh plug and some TLC should do the trick. Craig's List may be the only way of selling a 15 year old motocrosser. And I have most of a 1974 Maico 400 that needs a new home so it can be built up properly. Anyone interested?

That about exhausts things here, everyone stay safe, don't take any wooden nickels and keep the knobbies in the dirt.

Regards and Semper Fi,
Bill
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 393 View Post
Hola all,
Just been wondering what everyone was up to these days, Monica keeps up as best as she can with Mike Berg through Facebook. I just don't care much for the FB way of life, tried it twice and finally gave it up completely.

Its been an interesting time since March 2014 for me. I got concerned about what I was afraid might be esophageal cancer about the time I posted the last time to start this thread. Turns out my swallowing problems were the symptom that led to my diagnosis of having Parkinson's Disease.

I had several other symptoms that bothered me the last decade or so, but never had any idea that it would be this pathway for my life. Dizziness upon standing, falling frequently, shortened gait, tremors in my hands, and RLS that got extremely painful and cost me many nights of sleep. I did a lot of research and found a good neurologist to start my confirming what the ENT doc had found from checking out my throat issues. Now I am on a medication, Mirapex/Pramipexole, a dopamine agonist, that keeps my various symptoms manageable.

I have kept up my cycling, ventured into Classic and Vintage Italian bicycles and I have built two that are daily riders now. Its interesting to research which components are correct and them hunt them down. I ride 6 days each week, 20-30 miles each time, on the roads around our rural, agricultural area. I managed to get down to a low of 170 lb, but my primary care physician wasn't happy with my developing anemia at that point, so I am up around 180-188 give or take. Still a vegetarian too (since 2012,) it worked to get past Stage IIIB kidney failure, up to perfect kidney function numbers now.

John is married now, and they live in New Hampshire where his wife teaches French, and John is working on his Master's Degree, in linguistics, at University of New Hampshire. They are on the way here for summer vacation right now, we went up to NH last spring and it will be great to see them again tomorrow afternoon, hopefully.

My big thing is retirement in about two months, the construction for military bases around here, and lack of construction by the schools and county/city governments has finished us off. I'm at peace with not being able to do something about this, but its nothing I can control. I will be helping Monica with her business, and doing volunteer work somewhere.

Perhaps I'll get a wild hair and get the YZ426 running and finally sell it, it is still in almost new condition and is looking like it could be ridden anytime. Fresh plug and some TLC should do the trick. Craig's List may be the only way of selling a 15 year old motocrosser. And I have most of a 1974 Maico 400 that needs a new home so it can be built up properly. Anyone interested?

That about exhausts things here, everyone stay safe, don't take any wooden nickels and keep the knobbies in the dirt.

Regards and Semper Fi,
Bill
Great to hear from you Bill!!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM
cha cha

Great to hear from you, Bill! Sorry to hear about the Parkinson's diagnosis. But really glad to hear you're still active.

If you decide to sell that Maico, let me know. I race with a local vintage club and am sure we can get it gone for you.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 AM
JOATMON

Good to hear from you Bill, was wondering recently how you and the family were doing.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Good to hear from you Brother Bill. I'm sorry for your troubles (you have had your share and more) and sorry I haven't kept in touch with the ATM family myself. Sounds like you are making the best of the situation. As I would expect the Marine in you to do.

Apologies to the ATM family for my absence. I kinda got blindsided with a divorce that I never expected to happen back in 2007 (after 23 years) and fell off the earth for awhile. Ended up being a single Dad to my son with Asperger's and he has really been my main focus for the past 10 years. Good news on that front is that he is about to be a junior in college, now has a driver's license, and is talking about future plans for school in another town. My daughter graduated from college a couple of years ago and is a professional Cellist.

As luck would have it however, it seems life is always ready to kick you in the *** so in February of 2016, my employer of almost 15 years and the one where I had planned to retire one day shipped my career off to India. Fired on a conference call with 100 others. Classy. Took some time to get my wits about me, did some traveling last summer (Unadilla), and started looking for a new gig last Fall. Um, looking for a career, not just a gig, in this "recovered" economy at the age of 57 is not for the faint of heart.

So for now, this too shall pass and we pick up and make the best of it. I'll try to visit more often. I still ride, just not very often. I made the AHRMA National at Rio last year and did OK for someone who climbs on a dirt bike about 4 times a year.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by char393 View Post
Great to hear from you, Bill! Sorry to hear about the Parkinson's diagnosis. But really glad to hear you're still active.

If you decide to sell that Maico, let me know. I race with a local vintage club and am sure we can get it gone for you.
If you know of someone needing a project, shoot me a PM. Its the basket case from Ron in Dallas, the one Dave delivered to me back in 2004. Our phone is dedicated to Monica's business and I stay away from giving out any numbers on-line.

Bill

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion