All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Expert Class

Default Tightening spokes

I was reading the manual for my KX 125 and it said to tighten the spokes evenly, but it didn't really say how tight, so I just started crankin' 'em down kinda tight, then I started wondering if maybe there was an order I should be doing it in so I went online and searched the forums, found a thread where it said to tighten every third spoke, not more than a quarter turn each time around. And from some other posts I take it I should keep tightening until they are as tight as possible?

Should I loosen them up and re-do it the right way?

Also, what's the best way for one person to get a bike up on a stand?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Tightening spokes

if the bike was new, i wouldnt have screwed with the spokes. i think thats just periodic maintenance. (though i dont know how to do it either)
Old 10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Expert Class

Yeah but it said to make sure the spokes were tight and when I checked they weren't even anywhere close to being tight.

Also, there is oil coming out of the end of the silencer and running back down the outside of the silencer, is that normal because I'm not going very fast, or maybe just normal no matter what because some of the oil/gas doesn't get burned up?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:52 PM
cha cha

I wheel my bike up next to the stand and then lift the rear end and kinda swing it over on to the stand. It took me some practice and I just got a new stand thats a little higher, so its a bit of a struggle, but I can get it on there anyhow. JMO, though...maybe someone else has a better way of doing it.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Beginner Class

Oh me! Do you know anyone that rides? It sounds like you might need a little coaching. (We all did at some point)
Spoke tightening must be done systematically. If you just start cranking down on'em without going in an alternating front to back and side to side pattern ( 6oclock to 12 oclock, 9-3, 7-1, etc.) (If they're real loose) then you will get the wheel out of round and make it wobble side to side as well. If you loosen it back up and dont know how to retrue it, then it wont be any better. You need to find some complete instructions and follow them. I believe off-road.com has it on there sight. Spooge is a function/result of jetting/ oil mixture and ratio. It is affected by engine rpm as well. If your riding mostly in the lower rpm range, then the exhaust velocity is not enough to throw all of it clear of the silencer as not all of the oil is 100% burned.....and would be too lean if it was. I would err on the safe side until you learn more and keep it like it is for now or ask around and find what others are jetted at using the same setup and bike and altitude.It is always better to be a little rich than lean for engine longevity. FMF has a good tutorial on their website.
The easiest way to put the bike up on the stand is: set the stand on the other side of the bike about midway and a few inches away. Lean the bike onto you right thigh, using your leg and right arm to hoist it up. Actually..the easiest way is to have someone else do it for you

Last edited by Hizoot; 10-27-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Intermediate Class

napalm, its not nessacary to loosen your spokes, unless the wheel doesn't spin true, next time you tighten your spokes though, its every 3rd spoke, and make as many turns of the wheels as needed to make sure they are tight, and no, you don't want to go past a quarter of a turn per spoke, on the 1st turn of the wheel, and yes, tighten the snot out of them, I check my spokes after EVERY ride

to get my bike on a stand, I just lift the back half of the bike on the stand, and leave the frt wheel on the ground,the frt wheel will come off the ground once you set the back of the bike on the stand, and you don't have to pick the bike straight up lean it over, I put my right hip against the # plate, and put my right hand around the subframe where it bolts to the frame, I put my left hand on the left grip, lean the bike towards me and pick up the rear of the bike and set the left side of the frame and back of the bike on the stand and push it over so the bike is sitting level on the stand, and the frt wheel will come off the ground (do you understand? its hard to explain, and easy to show, after I read what I typed, it sounds pretty confusing, sorry)
Old 10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Expert Class

Nope, don't know anybody that rides, so it looks like I'll be learning the hard way for awhile

I did at least go from 12 o'clock to 6 to 3 to 9 basically, but I did tighten each one way more than a quarter turn, then I noticed that other spokes seemed to have tightened up and I figured I was probably doing something wrong. Hope I didn't screw it up too bad.

Thanks for the tips on getting it up on the stand, worked pretty good.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
ATM Contributor!

GL napalm, I am sure you will get it set. If not, you could always take it to your local shop for help.

All of us end up learning as we go with our bikes. I know I definitely still have alot to learn. The good thing is you found ATM early, there are lots of folks here that can answer questions.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Beginner Class

zoo's right...we 'lll be glad to help in any way we can. Nothing is too trite to ask...so dont be afraid or embarrassed too. I've been riding for about 35 years and I learn all the time new and different stuff. Actually, its part of the fun!! Welcome aboard!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Amen to that Hizoot, that is the beauty of this board. It's all about learning and helping another. At least it is for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Class

The bike stand trick!

Here's how i do it (when my bike is shorter than my stand).

1. move bike close to stand
2. Lift the back en up by grabbing some sort of the frame, rear wheel, whatever.
3. Lift as hard as you can swearing as much as possible (unless you don't swear either way )
4. Hopefully you have your bike on the stand nice and perfect, if not, Welcome to the club (membership is a $10 a month fee going to the fixing of my dirtbike! )
Old 10-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Expert Class

I took it to the shop yesterday to get my wheels trued. I figured before I screw it up anymore I better just get it done professionally so I know it's done the right way, and from then on I'll make sure I'm tightening my spokes the right way.

Damn I wonder if that's some kind of record, getting a new bike on Saturday and then having to put it in the shop three days later. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come!

I'll have to be more carefull and make sure I know what I'm doing before I jump in there and start screwing with things.

Glad I found ATM. Cool people.

Thanks again fellas
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
ATM Contributor!

Hehe...actually napalm, when I got my CRF we took it out to our usual riding spot a few days later and it wouldn't start. So...off to the shop it went.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion