All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Intermediate Class

Default SuperMoto Questions

I was watching supermoto on the X Games and was wondering some things.

I noticed that when going around a turn, the riders would put their foot down. Is this for balance or is it just out of habit? Also, don't you get like asphalt burns from going so fast and having your foot so close to the ground?!

I also saw a guy (Not good with names plus the tv is in the other room and I do not feel like getting up right at the moment-he won the race.) who would like stomp on the peg things that stick out of the side of the bike. Not sure of the actual term but it looks like it is the place where you put your feet when riding. Except he was like jumping on his. Why was he doing this? I did not see anyone else doing it like he was.

One last thing. What all protection do you wear? I saw someone with a mouthguard in. Isn't that what the helmet is for? And not to completely embarrass myself but do you guys wear protection cups or anything? Cause if you did, wouldn't that make it difficult to ride? (I am turning red just by typing this question.) So I was wondering what all you wore to protect yourself from injuries.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default Re: SuperMoto Questions

: no cup here... but i have landed on the gas tank a time or two...:

thatll put ya out fer a few
Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Expert Class

Haha, dont worry about the cup qeustion. I know a few riders do, but the majority(including myself dont).

He was "stomping" down on the gear shifter. Usually you just press down, but when your racing, you want to be sure you clicked it down into the gear, cause sometimes it can be stubborn. I beleive it was ben bostrom.He is a streetracer(on the superbikes) and this is usually a habbit that street racers have. They were a really tough set of leathers, that can be rubbed on the ground and not burn through. Often times I beleive they are kevlar padded, which is even stronger.

Usually on a roadbike, you just lean and put your knee down. On dirtbikes you put your foot down to hold your self up if you do start falling. If they were in the dirt, they would usually do this, cause its much higher chance of sliding out, which is when your rear tire slides out and around, causing you to fall. On the road, they just lean and use there knees, cause the traction is much much greater.

Haha, I apologize for completely flipping the answer around from the question, but ya should get the picture, haha. Btw, I have a question for you. What does your s/n stand for?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Intermediate Class

Don't laugh at me but Alaskanini was (as in past tense) the name of my imaginary friend when I was growing up. Later, I used her as the person I wrote my journals to everyday. (Dear Alaskanini: ...) And since nobody ever uses it I always use Alaskanini as my "online name". I know it will never be taken Now you think I am a big goof, don't ya?

As I was writing that explanation i thought of a couple more questions. Leave it to me...

Why do some riders wear shorts and others wear pants? Why do 4 Stroke bikes not like to start back up when they get hot?

That is all-for now at least
Old 08-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Expert Class

For your first question. I do think your a good. As a matter of fact, I think your a big goof. Jusst kiddding

Well, people SHOULD wear pants. But, I have been known to wear shorts, as its more flowing and vetilates..well to you know, haha. It just keeps you cooler, temperature wise. Pants, are more protective.

-Max.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Intermediate Class

If I am a big goof you are an even bigger ONE lol

I LOVE your descriptions-they make me chuckle. Which is a good thing.

Max, are you really in a prison yard somewhere?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Expert Class

Haha, yes, I am. But I gotta go, Big Bobby wants to use the computer....

Actually nope, unless you consider school a prison! But its still summer, so not yet.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaskanini
Why do 4 Stroke bikes not like to start back up when they get hot?
well mainly because the owner of that four stroke didn't think ahead and realize that he shoulda bought a two stroke ...nah but for real i dunno why?? two stroke fire up first kick though i can tell you that.....

oh and im sure youll prolly ask this question later too so ill answer it now incase you dont already know.....when you hear someone say "pinger", thats a two-stroke bike.....and "thumper" is a four stroke bike (or you could just call it a fart machine cuz thats what they sound like)...

you know it must be great to be a girl on a forum like this, they get all the attention, i know im guilty
Old 08-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Intermediate Class

Thanks, I had no idea what a pinger or a thumper was. Now I do!

No, you guys are just being so helpful. I appreciate it so much. Ya'll are saving me a lot of headaches
Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Expert Class

well you fit it quite nicely, we enjoy helpin people out
Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawasaki Kid
: no cup here... but i have landed on the gas tank a time or two...:

thatll put ya out fer a few
amen, brotha!

one of the last soil samples i took (by the way, alaskanini ... 'soil sample' and 'get off' are both terms for 'ouchie', or 'wreck') involved a foot peg hitting pretty close to home, if ya know what i mean. it ripped through my riding pants and boxers and left a couple of gouges in my leg. after that i seriously SERIOUSLY considered getting a cup to ride with ... but thus far i've not bothered to get one and am thinking that i probably won't because i think what happened was more of a freak accident. landing up on the tank, well that definitely gets your attention but i haven't had that happen in a long time.

in supermoto you can tell the road racers from the motocross riders a lot of the time by how they corner. the motocross riders will tend to stick their inside leg out in a corner by habit because typically that's how corners are done in motocross. road racers, on the other hand, usually tuck in and put a knee to the ground (almost) because that's what they are used to.

stick around, this site rocks. the more, the merrier!

-Z
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaskanini
What all protection do you wear?
The supermoto guys wear leather body suits. Kevin Windham in a leather bodysuit... gaaaaaahhhhh...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Quote:
Originally posted by psyklone
it ripped through my riding pants and boxers and left a couple of gouges in my leg. after that i seriously SERIOUSLY considered getting a cup to ride with ... but thus far i've not bothered to get one and am thinking that i probably won't because i think what happened was more of a freak accident.
If it wasn't a freak accident... well, at least we've already conceived.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:13 AM
ATM! Pro Class

There is a local gokart track in Columbus ohio that holds supermoto races once in awhile on Friday night.
The rider I work with, #61 Mark Burkhart practices there all the time. Check it out. Tdub

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion