All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Suggestions for moto business name?

I’m looking into starting a moto related business as a part time source of income while at college. My current plan is to get a small business started and become a distributor for a company such as Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited. I would probably start off selling on EBay until I make enough money to get a proper website going (I have several cash poor nerd friends at A&M who I could get to help with that).

Anyways, my dad had a small business in the recent past and said that the first thing I need to do is think of a name. I have to go to a local courthouse (or something along those lines) and register the business in some form or fashion. I will also need a name before applying to become a distributor.

That leaves me needing a name.

So far the best thing that has come to mind is:

Adrenaline Supply
“Everything you need to get your fix”

The others I have come up with seem dry, and are all just variations of other names out there (most common words like “moto” “gear” have been used to death).

Any comments on that name or other suggestions? Keep in mind it will most likely be an EBay store for the first year or so.

Thanks for the input

Let the gobs of research begin! Ebay, Paypal, Taxes, forms ohh my!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Suggestions for moto business name?

I like the name alot..very cool. My only suggestion would be to describe what youre about. Are you selling only moto stuff or will you be involved with other sports like BMX for instance? If youre only doing moto stuff perhaps this would work. “Everything you need to get your moto fix”.

You may know all of this already but what the heck. Youll need to register your business name with the secretary of state. Id recommend an LLC to begin with. The forms can be gotten online, printed, filled out and filed. A pretty straightforward process and its relatively inexpensive. Once you do that, then apply for a Tax ID#-a sort of social security # for your business. This is the # that tells other companies youre legit. Also, youll need to secure an accountant. Itll be nice to have one for consult at the beginning but then youll need one for all the taxes that are involved. Very cool to see you doing this. heck, who knows, Parts Unlimited had to start somewhere! Keep us involved as to how things are going.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 AM
ATM! Pro Class

" A mans toy shop!"
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Intermediate Class

Thanks for the input! Adding "moto" does make it more specific. At the moment I do plan to only sell street/dirt motorcycle gear. Thanks for the suggestions with the license and tax ID as well. I actually am reading up on that at the moment Hopefully my dad will be able to help with this, as he had a small carpentry business a few years ago. He said it got more complicated once he had employees and got to the point where he had to choose between the business and his job.

I think once I have those sorted out I will need to make a trip to my bank to get that rolling.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM
ATM Contributor!

Are you going to your bank for working capitol? If so, you'll need to arrive there with a business plan. This way it ll look like youve done your homework and are prepared. If a banker sees a kid come in asking for money with no apparent preparations-lets just say theyre laughing inside. Unless of course you have a working relationship with your bank and or have a ton of money there. You really dont need the tax id # and the registered name to go to the banks, just a good, solid business plan thats not too optimistic.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
ATM! Addict

Just an FYI, both those companies require you to have a standalone shop/store type of place. Bricks & mortar-no ebay (unless they have changed their policy in the past 18 months). As far as name, we took our son's nickname and made it our company name. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Intermediate Class

DRGSin: I hope to be able to get started using only money that I currently have saved, and what I am earning with the job I have at the moment. My parents are both very supportive of this, and may help me out a bit if needed (though I want to avoid that). I do plan to start small and put the profit back into the business for awhile.

Dirtbikindad: I hadn't thought about that. I assume a P.O. box probably wouldn't get around that problem.

I have a friend who's dad currently owns a business and is a Tucker Rocky Dealer. At the moment he doesn't do anything with it. I'm sure his dad would be happy to let me get things going, assuming he and his son are involved. I have worked for his father in the past, and have known both for quite some time. I am unsure of whether or not this is really what I want, as I worry going that route would ruin my current relationship with my friend. He is very money oriented, and while he is a great friend I would worry about us having different ideas of what is “fair”. He is a business major in college right now, and I'm certain his father would put him in charge this.

That is something I will look into though. Perhaps I can work it out so I just buy everything through them and pay them a percentage of the dealer cost (leaving me to manage reselling them as an individual however I choose).

Last edited by Miles711; 06-30-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Selling to Ride Dirt bike Supplies
Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Expert Class

Myself, I'd probably go with something like Big Eyes & Brown Shorts(.com) , Whiteknuckle Motorsports or Max Armstretch Sports.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
cha cha

Big Eyes and Brown Shorts...

I like the name you came up with Miles, Adrenaline Supply.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Intermediate Class

So my findings agree with what Dirtbikindad said. Both Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited require you to have a physical store. Neither will grant exceptions for online-based businesses.

I have been talking to my friend about this idea today (humored him by going to a driving range with him...) and it sounds like I can make that happen. Time will tell!

Anyone want a killer deal on moto-gear?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Expert Class

A moto-related business would be cool but there's too much competition, for me. Myself, I'm thinkin' about gettin' into marshmallow farming.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
Myself, I'd probably go with something like Big Eyes & Brown Shorts(.com) , Whiteknuckle Motorsports or Max Armstretch Sports.
I like "Whiteknuckle Motorsports" it has a goos sound and flow to it
Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Pro Class

As well as having to have a brick and mortor store...I hear from the Woodman himself Parts Unlimited won't deal with you until you can muster $10,000 for your first order.

You can, however, become a FASST Company dealer....they have a buyin amount but last I heard they were waiving it to almost nothing...but that was almost a year ago

More things to think about..you will need some $$$ upfront in most cases.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion