All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Steering stem bearings

Hey all...At our last race the wife crashed and landed in some pretty nasty rocks. The steering damper was beat up pretty bad and would not adjust. She rode 30 miles with it set 4 clicks to hard. Got the bike home and tore down the front end. With the damper pulled off I found that turning the bars back and forth that it was "not smooth" and it "catches" in certain places. At first I thought the steering stem was too tight. I loosened it a little...nope still doing the same thing. Pulled the triples off and cleaned up the bearings. Now I looked all over the place for some type of reading on how to check these bearings with no luck, so I'll ask you. I'm going to replace the bearing races/bearings anyway so this is just an "educational" question I have. Is it normal to have some vertical play in these bearings? How long do you wait to change these?

-Kevin-

Hey mods I accidentally posted this in the GK base...You can ignore that request....unless we get a great answer and you deem it worthy
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
ATM! Pro Class

the only two times i damaged a conical bearing it showed up on the underside only. properly adjusted those dont yield any up and down by hand. I like to set mine with zero lash, and that seem to be where you can mount the forks and be able to turn the bars into any position and have it just hold,,and if you push just lightly to one side or the other, they stop moving just as you stop pushing. if that makes any sense. some like them tighter than that. put the wheel on and try the same adjustment method if my way seems too loose for you.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Manufacturer Dude

Good post, Ossa.

Scott
Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp1 View Post
the only two times i damaged a conical bearing it showed up on the underside only. properly adjusted those dont yield any up and down by hand. I like to set mine with zero lash, and that seem to be where you can mount the forks and be able to turn the bars into any position and have it just hold,,and if you push just lightly to one side or the other, they stop moving just as you stop pushing. if that makes any sense. some like them tighter than that. put the wheel on and try the same adjustment method if my way seems too loose for you.
A good little test i use while you have it on a stand, is to let it go from dead centere to a full lock with a gentle push. If it want's to bounce back up then it's not tight enough, it should stay planted in the full lock position. It's amazing the differance it can make to head shake and suspension handling, if it's not set right. The pressure washer a man's worst nightmare for bearings, my sons think it's a "sham wow"
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Expert Class

You didn't mention if the bearings are balls or rollers. With balls I've seen the races get chunked and cause those symptoms. It doesn't take much of a chip to cause that stutter. With rollers, I've seen the lower race get dislodged and slightly out of alignment. Sometimes, that could be fixed with a tap of a small hammer to square it back up.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
ATM! Pro Class

351, I am going to try what you suggested and see which end of chain my way comes up with in comparison.

Tracker? Ball bearings? you must think this man is letting his wife ride something one of us might own!! FYI I am working almost daily on this neighbor to get his 71 380. Still has original tires in pretty good shape. Metal flake red, and gorgeous.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp1 View Post
Tracker? Ball bearings? you must think this man is letting his wife ride something one of us might own!! FYI I am working almost daily on this neighbor to get his 71 380. Still has original tires in pretty good shape. Metal flake red, and gorgeous.
Yeah, that dawned on me after I pushed "submit reply". I just got a set of balls and races for a '73 360 Yamaha that's going together right now so it was fresh in my mind. My Greeves is 12 years older and it has steering bearings like a car would have on its front wheels.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM
ATM! Pro Class

My BSA's and a few other things I have are of the loose ball variety. I still remember the joys of coming to a stop 60 miles from home on another BSA and seeing the front wheel move back towards me what seemed like about a foot. As the bike settled you could honestly feel the front end drop, and since I was still eyes glued to the front wheel I could see a ball hit the pavement as the rig assumed chopperesque profile. I learned a lot that day.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Tracker, I just remembered that among other things I have an RT1 roller out here if you need anything.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion