All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Intermediate Class

Question Slipper Clutch

I must be living in the dark ages as I've only just heard of a 'Slipper Clutch' but does anyone use them and if so, what do you think of them? Some info I found goes as follows:-

"The Slipper clutch virtually eliminates real wheel chatter, giving you more control on the track, knocking off crucial seconds on your lap times. Utilizing the factory supplied basket and clutch plates the Slipper clutch has demonstrated itself to work very effectively in a wet environment. The outstanding choice for Supermotard racing, also proven to be a winning component in Motocross - On the track, on the street, the slipper clutch maintains rear wheel contact with the ground and eliminate wheel hop when downshifting."

I assume that, essentially, it lets the clutch slip to avoid wheel spin on acceleration, or wheel lockup/skipping when downshifting too early?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Slipper Clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewPA

I assume that, essentially, it lets the clutch slip to avoid wheel spin on acceleration, or wheel lockup/skipping when downshifting too early?

Thanks
On acceloration you would be right but I don't believe that it actually slips on the down****fs. However I could be completly wrong.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Intermediate Class

I think it slips the clutch as soon as you chop the throttle to eliminate the engine braking on a four stroke. Im pretty sure they don't use them on 2 smokes because they will roll righ along if you chop the throttle. I am not 100% positive about this. I think I read about it in a mag.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Beginner Class

I roadrace street bikes - a slipper clutch is a MUST on pavement, and a great addition on dirt. Nothing worse than having the back end come around when you're banging down from 6th to 2nd for a hairpin...

There are ramps in the backside of the basket which allow the clutch to free-spin on downshifts if the tire speed exceeds engine speeds. This does not slip at all during acceleration, it acts like a normal clutch. You can vary the amount of slippage to tune the clutch to your tastes.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Intermediate Class

I dont personally have one installed on my bike, but my buddy does and just yesterday I rode it for a good 5 to 7 laps at a local mx track. I am not sure on all the mechanics of the slipper clutch, but I personally dont think it eleminates the "engine braking" on a 4 stroke. this is on a 03 yz450f...the characteristics of the bike did not change to me while riding it, the engine still slowed the bike down when i downshifted and began setting up for a turn. the only thing that was different was not having to pull in the clutch in the tight turns or the bike bogging in tight turns...it is excellant to not have to worry about the bogging and stalling, you can carry you speed smoother and longer into a turn then twist the throttle and out of the corner you go...it was definately a nice change...if I had the money I would have one on my bike ASAP!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by m2g4b
I dont personally have one installed on my bike, but my buddy does and just yesterday I rode it for a good 5 to 7 laps at a local mx track. I am not sure on all the mechanics of the slipper clutch, but I personally dont think it eleminates the "engine braking" on a 4 stroke. this is on a 03 yz450f...the characteristics of the bike did not change to me while riding it, the engine still slowed the bike down when i downshifted and began setting up for a turn. the only thing that was different was not having to pull in the clutch in the tight turns or the bike bogging in tight turns...it is excellant to not have to worry about the bogging and stalling, you can carry you speed smoother and longer into a turn then twist the throttle and out of the corner you go...it was definately a nice change...if I had the money I would have one on my bike ASAP!!!
Are you sure your friend doesnt' have a automatic clutch?? like Rekluse makes.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Intermediate Class

Now see you gotta go and make me feel stupid, which isnt hard, yes actually it is a rekluse auto clutch, sorry, I actually thought that they were the same thing, for now on I will just keep my mouth shut on things I am not 100% sure on, LOL...sorry if I confused anyone...
Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

We run slipper or "sprague" clutches on the SM bikes. If the suspension is set up properly it is not needed, but there is always a circumstance when it will be a help.
It slightly disengages the clutch on decel...pretty much the same as slipping the clutch with the lever. Most are a ball and ramp type setup. Hope to try one at Peoria this weekend on the dirt. Tdub
Old 08-18-2004, 06:52 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by m2g4b
Now see you gotta go and make me feel stupid, which isnt hard, yes actually it is a rekluse auto clutch, sorry, I actually thought that they were the same thing, for now on I will just keep my mouth shut on things I am not 100% sure on, LOL...sorry if I confused anyone...
Yeah I wasn't sure if i was correct either but that never stoped me from opening my mouth. lol
Ohh yeah never ment to make you feel stupid.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion