All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Class

Default Routine checkup

How often do you guys recommend tearing out the axles and greasing and cleaning them? How about the suspension linkages?

Are there any other things I should be checking on a regular basis?

Right now all I do is regrease the axles about every month or so. I also take the chain off about every 3 rides and soak it in gas, then scrub the chain using a brass brush, and follow up with a good lubin.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: Routine checkup

As far as the axle's When ever I have the rear tire off, I always grease the axle, and the bearings in it.

As far as the other stuff (swing arm, linkage, shock mount points, and head bearings, and anything else I might be forgetting) I'd make sure and do them at least yearly. If you ride in muddy/rainy conditions or ride a lot, I'd do it semi annually.

I'd also change the fuids in both the shock and forks at least every 6 months if you ride a fair amount. Annually if you don't. You would be surpised how much difference it makes to have fresh fluid in their.

Also just a tip for you on the chain since you seem to take better care of your chain then most people I know. Almost all suspension fluid on the market is junk, and is more of a dirt magnet then a lube. I'd look into buying some chain lube from http://www.best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/ I have both MX1000, and Ultra Lube, and I prefer the ultra lube. But both are awesome. Application is a little more tedious, but well worth it.

No mess on the swingarm and hubs either. This stuff is just awesome.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Routine checkup

Yeah what Johnathon said. Everytime I have me back wheel off it gets cleaned and fresh grease applied.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion