All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Riding in Idaho!?!

Some friends and I are thining about making a trip out West to do some riding. We've received an invitation to stay with a friend who lives in Idaho. We are debating on when we should go, but I think it will be in September. I was curious about what the rules are for Vermonters like us that want to come out and spend a couple of weeks riding the trails. I have a basically stock '03 KX 250 and was wondering if it is "allowed" on the trails. Here in Vermont you are basically not allowed to trail ride anywhere unless you have a registered ATV (3 wheeler or quad). Thank goodness between my uncle's farm land and my best friends father's land I have about 800 acres of private land to play on. We built a fairly large track on my friends father's land and people come from all over the state and New York to ride it for practice. We also have an extensive trail system we maintain. If it wasn't for being able to ride on the private land I am able to use, I would never have bought another bike. I'm too old and slow to race so I don't bother entering formal competition. I just love riding.

Any info fellow 'ers could provide would be appreciated. Never been that far West and really hope we are able to pull it off.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: Riding in Idaho!?!

Where abouts in Idaho? My dad lives in northern Idaho and I have done a fair amount of riding there over the years. You will more than likelyneed an off road tag, the one I have from Oregon works in Idaho or so I have been told. If you are riding trails, you should have a S/A on your bike. And if you are going to be outhere in late summer, it would be a wise choice to have one since it tends to get pretty dry that time of year.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Pro Class

Spark arrestor, make sure it meets sound requirements, make sure you wash your bikes (not sure but I know some states are going crazy about the noxious weeds thing), and ability to ride good in the mountains
A few more things too, which you should already know about...
Old 03-19-2006, 07:32 PM
JOATMON

You WILL need a sparky, you might need a temporary ORV registration. Other than that, have fun and enjoy ID! Lots of great riding in this state, where do you plan on going?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Intermediate Class

Hi Cowboy,

I forgot the name of the town our friend is in. It begins with a "B", as if that narrows it down...

I will look into getting a spark arrestor and spend some time online looking into what else is required. I'm sure the information is available, just need to research it. We are in the early stages of discussing our trip but I think we have four people committed to making it happen. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the reply and with any luck we'll be making the big trek later this summer.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:54 PM
JOATMON

B- Boise, Burley? If it's either of those two, I know of some good spots nearby. There are a lot of good trail systems in this state, I wish I could say I knew them all but I don't. I've been spending my summers in WA lately and have barely got a chance to tear up the ID dirt for quite a few years. I'm hoping that the new 450 will get to do some exploring this year, both ID and WA. Let me know if you need any more info
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Intermediate Class

Burley sounds right. I am very sure that was the name of the town. I really hope the other guys don't bail on this trip as I would love to see the wide open spaces and mountains. I have been to South Dakota before (Sioux Falls) but didn't get to explore. Just a quick visit to my sister's boyfriends house. I'll keep you advised of our plans so you will know to be on the lookout for a gang of redneck Vermonters!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion