All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 12:14 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Race Report - ICE RACE

Thought I would share the events of my 2nd Ice Race.
My 10 yr old daughter and myself had a blast. We run on a 1/4 mile oval track, 3 heat races of 6 laps each.

The tempature finally dropped below freezing after crossing our fingers if the race would be a go or not because of warm weather for a week before the race. The Sylvan Lake race was a go and all in all not a bad day as I did not run out of fuel like my first race. Apparently friday was quite slushy, cooler weather on sat froze the slush. They had a tractor prepping the track on Saturday until it broke down.....oh oh race can't go on... but wait at 1:00 am a grader shows up and works through the night to prep the track. By morning the track was ready allthough the grader driver is now pissed out of his tree because the riding club kept giving him appreciation drinks through the night.

Anyway I checked my fuel and tank was full, ran the practice..... woooohoooo everything was working great track was wider than the previous race so its 5th gear pinned all the way. We practiced with 250 int. and only one guy passed me. Man the confidence was 200% greater than at my first race and I am getting much more relaxed with the feel of the bike as you have to corner in high gear under full power with the rear hanging out much like you see the oval dirt trackers doing.

Now first round of heat races is going to start, I convinced the organizers to delay the youth class because my daughter is still on her way because she was playing in a hockey playoff game. Her bike is warmed up and ready to rip.

My class (250 Novice) is called to the line, I check for fuel and it's good. Starter drops the flag.....braaaaap not a bad start but two guys are 1/2 a bike ahead of me, I shift into 4th at the apex of the 1st turn and pull away from the other 3 riders. Track is smooth and so far only a one soft spot on each turn so I leave it in 5th and pull away from the others. By lap 3 I look back and have about 400 feet lead over #2. Lap 4 and 5 I play it safe and ease through the turns a little slower then holy schidt a suzuki is on my arse.... lap 6 involved 4 lead changes as I battle bar to bar with this guy out of nowhere. We cross the line and believe it or not he had me by about 3 inches, allthough one of the officials thought I had him by six. Keep in mind there is no electronic eye on the finish nor an actual line, it is by eye only. Anyway no problem I had a blast and enjoyed the rivalry and was pleased at how I had improved since my first day.

Now the youth class is ready, 3 riders, my daughter on her 65, my nephew on his 70 and another girl on her suzuk 110. My daughter missed practice but she is still pumped from an exciting win at hockey. She grabs a commanding holeshot and wow is she on fire compared to her first day, the 65 is screamin and she was actually sliding into the turns, she wins the moto by more than 1/2 a lap. Do you think I was proud?

After filling my tank I'm now on the line for moto #2, I know I have to holeshot this and use the right lines to hold of this hot suzuki rider (he is borrowing a pro's bike, so I know he has a superior tire setup than mine). Off we go YES I got it, I am flying through every lap I hear him behind me in the turns so I run on the inside then ease to the outside on the exit of each turn to run him into the berm, it works and the last lap ends with him about 75 feet short of the old CR. Felt real good with that one.

Youth - Moto # 2
The little KX65 pulls another hole shot and leads for the first 2 laps, then on lap #3 she is just hauling down the straight in 6th gear and goes into the turn really hot and starts to wobble, whoaaaa she saves it then flop, high sides it and spills. Using all her 55 lbs she picks up the bike but cant get it going, I run over and start it for her. Now she is a lap down but she finishes for a 3rd.

My 3rd moto I grab another holeshot with a full fuel tank, the suzuki rider is now on a '05 YZ because of a problem with the RM, we battle like crazy as the ice is getting quite soft as the day warmed up, 1/2 way through the last lap we lapped a guy on a green bike (figures). I lead for all but the last 80', he got me by about 5 feet. THATS RACING I quess. Anyway a 2nd for the day is allright.... sort of.

Now my kid has to get a 1st in moto #3 to have enough points to take home the #1 trophy. I tell her to relax and she will easily do it. The poor little squirt STALLS it on the line, gets it going but is to far behind to pass. She was still quite happy to bring home a 2nd place trophy like her old dad.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:34 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Race Report - ICE RACE

Great write up!! Congrats to both of you for a great race!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:42 PM
ATM! Addict

wow sounds like a blast! And some of these guys on here complain because of snow or because it's too cold!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
ATM Contributor!

Excellent write up!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch0922
wow sounds like a blast! And some of these guys on here complain because of snow or because it's too cold!
Hehe, you just got to make the best of it. We get about six months of winter, the bike is sitting there you just got to ride it so Ice racing was invented. AND IT IS A PILE OF FUN.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
cha cha

Foxy...sweet write up! Man, that sounds like such a rush!

I can picture your ear to ear grin when your daughter whooped 'em all in the first moto. Very cool

So when's the next race? I can't wait to hear more.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxchar393
So when's the next race? I can't wait to hear more.
Well it's getting pretty warm now so unless they let us use paddle tires, wet suits and snorkels I guess we will have to wait till next winter.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Age is a state of Mind

I think that sounds like a complete blast. Too bad they don't have that here... although we certainly could on some of the mountain lakes...

It is ran on a lake right?

Great job BTW, and thanks for sharing. I loved it, and I also loved that you checked your gas every time
Old 03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Expert Class

hehe nice run Fox...as you can see from the 3rd race the YZ stomped a new mudhole in the old CR..your lucky i wasnt there too...woulda had to fight 2 blue beats...LOL...glad you had a good time and your girl smoked em all..we will defenatly be tearing some new *** next season together

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion