All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
ATM! Pro Class

grabit Race Report: Caltrans National Comp Edge

Today we cashed in the pennies and silver and got enough dough so Tracy could finish out the Trans-cal series. Competitive Edge was hosting round four and I knew she was going to like the track as soon as we rolled in. She loves the outdoors type of tracks. While she was signing up I did my "husband mechanic" and did some pretty intense suspension changes. I always thought the front was way to soft, the rear was swapping in the B-bumps and the front was pushing in the loamy stuff. I went 3 clicks harder front comp 2 clicks harder rebound, 4 clicks on the rear rebound, 2 clicks softer on the high speed comp and I dropped the front forks by 4mm. Usually I'm not the type of person who just dramatically changes things but here's the kicker...I didn't tell her I made the changes. Her first practice went OK. She had never raced this track so her lines were not so good. A family friend Dave Zahrt told her to follow him and watch his lines on the next practice. Damn, she rode like a hero dropping almost 8 seconds of her lap times. I notice the bike was tracking really well and the rear was squatting a little more but not too much to affect the traction. I asked her how the bike felt and she said "It felt pretty good". She also said that the rear of the bike didn't swap in excel/decel.....ect ect (see above problems). By her last practice she had all but 2 jumps down. I was pretty stoked for her and I think the changes made a positive impact on her riding today. In her first race (125 Beg) she got a horrible start and had to work her way up through the tail end of the crowd. She faded real quick and dropped way back managing a 14 out 18. her second race was kinda funny. She got this great start, about 5 bike lengths, but blew the berm. She was last again out of the first corner. As she worked her way up again one of the other girls looked back kinda taunting revving her bike at Tracy, when she looked back she went over a berm and Tracy passed her shaking her head while she was picking up her bike. They changed positions a few times but the other girl started pulling away at the end race. Once again she rode really well and got 2nd in the women's open but also finished in front of a few of the +40int guys. Her second (125beg)moto went pretty much they same way. She ended up getting 15th overall. Her second women's race was a little more exciting. One of the vet racers +50 sen.(sorry, I cant remember his name) always get chuckles about his CR500. Me and the gate guy told him if he holeshots we would give him $10. He lined his 500 up with just the front wheel on the concrete start and his rear wheel in the dirt. The gate dropped and all I saw and tasted was dust...he smoked EVERYONE off the line and got the holeshot. It was great! Ayla, one of the girls she usually races gave her an aggressive but clean block pass at the end of the first lap. What I was surprised at was that Tracy squared off the corner, completely switched lines WFO. She put her head down and started hucking herself off these jumps. At one point I was getting concerned cause I knew she was ticked off. The white flag came out but she got behind some guy that was all over the place handing her another 2nd place finish. Not a bad day at all. She made HUGE improvements in her riding, came back sore but not hurt and I don't have to beg P1M for parts on Tuesday. Tracy qualified for the finals so We will be doing Marysville for the North-South showdown later this month. Sorry its so long winded tonight. I guess I'm super proud of her today and just want to babble.

-Kevin-
Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 AM
cha cha

Default Re: Race Report: Caltrans National Comp Edge

Hey Kev...

Thanks for the ride report. Sounds like Tracy rode her butt off this weekend. Would have been very cool to see that guy with the 500 off the start. We are planning to head over to Cycle Ranch in November when you guys are there, so we'll see ya then.

BTW...I see you need more cowbell, baby.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Very nice report! I loved reading it. Keep em coming.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Da Bunny

Great job Tracy! Thanks for the report, Kevin.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Great write up Kevin. Sounds like you had a good weekend watching your wife race and Tracy had fun tearing it up. Good job Tracy!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

Excellent write up. I've seen that girl ride and she is pretty darn good.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion