All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Class

Default Pro Racer: Who Is Your Favorite and Least Favorite?

I have found getting to know the personalities of the present pro MX racers fascinating.

If you don't mind, please write a response on who your two (2) favorite MX (or SX) pro riders are and why they are your favorites. Then list your two least favorite MX (or SX) pro riders and why they are your least favorite.

Oh yea, make it the contemporary pros.

Thanks.

Last edited by DCox; 10-30-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Default Re: Pro Racer: Who Is Your Favorite and Least Favorite?

Favorites:

Chad Reed...and his mechanic (can't remember his name)
For Russ's 18th b-day I gave him the choice to go to any supercross he wanted to go to, except Daytona. He chose St. Louis. We had all access pit passes and after the main events were over we headed back to the pits. We were hanging out at Chad Reeds pit and wre able to get the left radiator shroud off his bike. When Chad came back to his pit after the post race interviews he graciously auto'd the plate for Russ. We had a brief conversation and he thanked us for coming to the races.

Roger Decoster...although he isn't racing anymore he is still a very active participant in current day SX/MX. I have had numerous occasions where I have had the opportunity to talk to Roger when he was also racing with the Old Timers Club here in SoCal. A truly nice guy and an unbelievable wealth of knowledge.

Non-favorites:

To be honest there are riders who I do not care for but I have a HUGE respect for what they can do on a bike. I guess that means it is a love/hate relationship!!!
Old 10-30-2004, 04:16 PM
cha cha

Favorites: Guy Cooper (is that contemporary enough?). Why? Because, he rode hard, all the time. I loved to watch him ride. He rode his heart out every single time he was on a bike.

Ricky Carmichael. He rides with such determination, he's a joy to watch. He throws down, big time.

As for non favorites. That's a little harder. I'll take the easy way out and agree with what Big E said.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Expert Class

Top favs,, RC,, CR,,, TP, Bubba, Ernesto LaRocco (RC, CR, TP and Bubba are just amazing to watch) Ernesto always puts up a fight and is just a nice guy. The Rock,, super steady, never quits, like the tortoise with and after burner)

Fav new guys Millsaps, Hepler, Gray. (Millsaps and Gray are locals, and Hep,, well quiet, just keeps riding doing his best, came in second to Bubba)

least fav Allessi (if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all.)
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I never liked RC much as a person until I started watching some videos where has to talk in front of the camera. He seemed more real and less into making money than just about everyone out there. Seemed like he was actually uncomfortable in front of the camera. To me a down to earth type of person who doesn't have his head up in the air.

And CR because he's from down under and he's on a blue bike.

Least favorite, it's not that I don't want to say who at this point but they have already been mentioned.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 PM
ATM! Pro Class

all time favorite-Brad Lacky, no style, no bull, fun man to listen to.He just love to ride and race.

new school favorite-Gots to be da ROCK.Not that he is young its because he just loves to ride. Not worried about othersopions of him .but is still respectful

least favorite- TP, CAN'T GET HIS HEAD OUT BUTT!But still he does love to ride!
Old 10-30-2004, 07:15 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Favorites:
Ricky Carmichael-He's just like every other guy out there with 11 AMA National Championships and more than 100 wins . I respect him for working so hard, no one else is nearly as determined to win as RC.

Chad Reed- I didn't like him at fisrt but that was mostly because he was on a Yamaha. But after listening to him I found out that he really loves racing. He was bummed after the U.S. Open because RC crashed and he never got a chance to race with him. to me that's the soul of racing.

Least Favorite:
James Stewart- I don't like how he talks, I've heard him say already that he is the greatest but until he beats RC on a consistent basis (or at all) he's not. And his dad couldn't make me much madder, Big James acts like he's the one winning the races but he's not and he needs to stop mooching off the success of his son.

Tony Alessi- He's really making his kid look bad. It was obvious that Mike came back to Steel City with alot of respect for his fellow racers and backed it up with a 3rd in the 250 class(I'll bet James stewart couldn't have done that when he was in his second pro race ever.)
Old 10-30-2004, 07:44 PM
ATM! Addict

I think they are all a bunch of over paid spoiled brats (just kidding).

My favorite currently....Bubba (sorry John). I am amazed everytime I see him ride. The first time I saw him in person I had no idea who he was....all I know is that he was so much faster than everybody else that he stuck out on the track....you never had to look for him. Just look at the track and you could pick him out...he was the guy tripling everything and passing lapped riders 4 at a time. I know what Madcow is saying about James Senior....but that is kind of like not liking Tiger because of Earl Woods......or not liking Satch because of Satch Senior. Bubba is still a kid....if I was in is shoes I would be 100 times cockier.

Second favorite (I have to go with Macho on this one) Mike Larocco. Talk about THE ROCK. He has made a career out of respecting his opponents and preparing for them every week. We should all be as committed to our craft as Mike.

Least favorite:

Grant Langston - he is a punk.......no doubt about it
David Vuillemin - I am more just dissapointed to his LACK of commitment and that fact that he is taking (wasting) space on the Yamaha roster.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:08 PM
ATM! Pro Class

hey i dont care if you like bubba brent (you'll pay for it though )
but i disagree with your opinion of vuilimen, he's definatly the number 2 guy under the yamaha tent, he's way faster than ferry, im sorry if people like ferry because he's a nice guy(he really is) but in terms of results david's better.

but i think yamaha should have picked up Nick Wey(even if that means dumping David or Tim), he's way too fast to be ridding on a privateer bike.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:15 PM
ATM! Addict

MC, I just think DV is an under achiever. He was working with David Bailey and didn't like what he had to say so he ended it. I am sure there is more to that story than I know. However he did have a nack for fading in the outdoor races.

As far as Tim Ferry, I hope I am wrong but I think his career is about over.

And your point on Nick Wey?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Expert Class

My favorite is Matt Walker, he knows how moto can be a real pain.

How could you say Vullemin is an underachiever? Just because he can't beat Ricky Carmicheal doesn't mean he isn't trying like crazy.

I agree, though, Tim Ferry seems just about done.

Least favorite is Stephane Roncada, he could be something great but obviously doesn't want it.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:03 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CRacer
How could you say Vullemin is an underachiever? Just because he can't beat Ricky Carmicheal doesn't mean he isn't trying like crazy.

I agree, though, Tim Ferry seems just about done.

....can't beat Ricky, or Chad or Windham or LaRocco indoors....and doesn't train.....

I expected more I suppose.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Intermediate Class

my favorites are bubba, RC, chad reed, and ivan tedesco
Old 10-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Intermediate Class

i like chad, cause hes on a yamaha....and i just like the way he is....i also like mike alessi. his dad is an idiot, theres no doubt about that. to come into the 250 with so much pressure and perform well, then that shows a lot about him. idk i guess i just like him
Old 10-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Class

Bubba Of course! Hes so smooothe on the track! I got roosted by him at houston SX and it was a great honor!!!!!!!!! Also I like his dances! C

Chad Reed because he hauls like a madman!

only one i dislike at all really is that darn alessi kid!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:58 AM
Pro Class

Fascinating likes and dislikes.

I really like RC, not because he wins, but because of how he wins--he works so hard in preparation, and charges through the moto from start to finish (it's cool to see him get a little squirrely or overshoot jumps just because he is pushing a little harder). Carries himself well in interviews.

I didn't use to care much for CR, but that has changed. He has the same qualities as RC. Both he and RC love to race for racing's sake.

I find the same qualities in Bubba. And man can that kid ride. Honest and real personality.

I don't have much respect for Stephane Roncada, though he may be out of it anyway. A pro that whines about someone you just p.o.'d not shaking your hand and who boasts about not training? Embarrasing.

I agree with Satch on Grant Langston. He is a conscious and unconscious menace on the track. The Atlanta SX I attended last Feb. clinched it with him wigging out and trying to run that privateer over.

Allessi? Heh. We are talking about pros, right?

Keep 'em coming. These are fascinating.

Last edited by DCox; 10-31-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:42 AM
Expert Class

favorite of all time would be JEFF WARD. when i was a teen i would root for him and still have some autographed posters from the late 80's.

current favorite is MICHAEL BYRNE. i tend to root for the underdog and the kawasaki team (250s) didnt have anyone but him and that seems pretty sad....so i always wanted him to do well.

i can't think of whom i don't like right now
Old 10-31-2004, 05:11 AM
ATM Contributor!

Favourites:

Travis Pastrana: I know he has been a bit off riding lately, but whenever I have heard him talk about other riders he has nothing but respect and nice compliments. He just sounds like an all-round nice guy that has tremendous natural talent, but has been doing other things and not has best luck.

Chad Reed: Obviously a fellow Australian, but he has a great style and keeps at it even when continually coming 2nd.
Also, Chad Reed is a great person.
When he came back to his home town and went to a local track clubday, he was swamped with fans, young and old. After carving up the local track he was mobbed! He stayed and signed every fan's shirt, hat or whatever they had.
You can be a great racer but IMO your nothing if you don't have time your fans.
I don't know if many people know about this but the night of Chad winning the 2003 East Coast 125cc Championship, he did not go out to celebrate his achievement, but stayed at the hospital where Michael Byrne was admitted after his bike bogged down on the face of a triple and was forced to bail up in the air.
This just shows Chad Reed is a caring person and is not self-centered. Also his donating of prize-money to friend Jamie Brockman who was in an accident and now in a wheel-chair.
I hope I don't sound to over-the-top about Reedy, but these are just some things that people should know about him.

Ricky Carmichael: As Reed said, "...RC is an awesome rider, a freak of nature.." We all know Rc is a great rider. But I really like how gracious he is when he wins or loses. He pays respect to the other riders. As with DCox, I love watching RC pushing himself through the last corner as he did through the first. You can tell he is always trying by his bobbles and slight over-shooting of jumps. But this just shows how committed he is!

Michael Byrne: He comes from Toowoomba, which is 45mins drive from here. He was kind of over-shadowed by Chad's success in 2002 and 2003, but was consistently getting top-5 finishes and breaking podium in a few outings. Iam proud of his come-back after his major bail in the 2002 East SX series in Indianapolis.
He too is a nice guy who loves riding.

Least Favourites:

Mickael Pichon:
One of the most un-sportsmanlike persons I have ever seen. Never has anything nice to say about fellow riders. Has no grace in losing but plenty of excuses.

People are probably going to disagree with things that I have said but this is just my opinion!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Intermediate Class

1) Stephan Everts - for MX and winning the overall at the 2003 ISDE. For those that aren't familiar with the ISDE - it is a six day event where the riders cover 100+ miles per day offroad, compete in special tests and wrench on their own bikes.
2) Ricky Charmichael - for two seasons of winning every moto of every race!

I really can't dis anyone - I don't follow MX or SX enough.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Favs - TP... just gotta love him. RC- nuff said. Larocket- i love watching him get crappy starts and charging his way through the pack!

Windham - Hes so smooth, and i like watching him ride. Sorry to say, but his career looks about done.

Least fav- Alessi- Id love to race him. Id make sure id hit him (as he came around to lap me)

Bubba - Hes a punk. He treats his fans like garbage, and gets pissed when he has to "work" for a win.

Chad Reed - Dont know why... just dont like him

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion