All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Novice Class

Default Powdercoating Rims

I just had a few questions on powdercoating rims. I know Baron said he wouldn't do it because it just adds more weight. I still might not do it but I really like the look of totally black rims and don't really feel like spending tons of money on new EXCEL rims. Does anyone know on average what it might cost to get the front and back wheel powdercoated black? Also, when powdercoating, all of the spokes have to be removed or no? I was just wanting a little more insight on powdercoating. Also, if you know anything about anodizing rims, let me know the cost (if you have an idea) and the positives of anodizing rims instead of powdercoating! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Novice Class

Default Re: Powdercoating Rims

if you powder coat your rims the powder coating will start to get hair line cracks in it after time. this is because the rim flexes and the powder coating is just a hard plastic coating that is not flexible. had some buddies that did this to their street bikes and after time the hairline cracks started to appear. I can only imagine how bad it would be on a dirt bike rim. just try to keep this in mind
Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Novice Class

Default Re: Powdercoating Rims

Okay thanks for the information. That's definitely information that I need to know being the naieve person that I am when it comes to powdercoating. What about anodizing them? Anodized rims crack as well? Also, how much more expensive is an anodized rim than powdercoated rim?

It seems like people are always trying to get away with the cheaper route. But I am getting from some people, it might just be as cheap and more practical to spend a couple more dollars for EXCEL rims than just getting them anodized or powdercoated.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag Re: Powdercoating Rims

Chad,
Powder coating would crack and chip even though it is hard. Even the factory (Excel, etc.) rims that are anodized look scarred after a few rides and a tire change looks like crap from the tire irons biting into the aluminum. If you do either remove the rim completely or else plan on cleaning off painted spokes and nipples. I believe Monster painted his KXF 450 rims and spokes so he could offer advice.

Personally I am settled on plain silver rims and spokes even though the colors look trick. It is easy to clean and buff out the stock Yamaha Excel rims to a nice look.

Best of luck on what you decide to do.

Bill

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion