All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Novice Class

Default OT. need to vent

So while I was gone yesterday my neigherbors we're playing in my front yard without anyone watching them.

I guess I should share some background information first. They have 5 kids, 4 girls: 15, 12, 11, and 5 and 1 boy 8, all of whom seem to be the last priority to their parents. The boy doesnt even know how to ride a bike (pedal bike) and he's 8 YEARS OLD! Just last week the youngest 2 were down in our back yard playing by the water (neither know how to swim) and were once again without any supervision. A few times my mom has even had to tell them to go home at 10 at night, and im not sure that their parents even knew they were over.

Now back to the story. While they were playing in the yard my older dog bit the youngest girl in the face. We're not sure why, she has never gone after a person and is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever owned. Since no one was watching we dont know if it was provoked or not and all we have to go off of is a story from a 5 year old (which I havn't heard yet).

So the girl had to go get stitches and is now back home. Animal control is quarantining my dog for 10 days just to make sure that she doesn't have rabies, and yes she is up to date with all of her shots. The guy was really nice and said that its standard procedure, and when I asked him about youthenizing her he laughed. So I'm not scared for my dog right now.

This is what pissed me off. Aparently after it happened the girl's dad got into my mom's face and was quick to place all blame on her. My mom took responsibility for it and told them how sorry she was and is taking steps to make suer it wouldnt happen again.. which didn't do the least bit to calm him down (he's lucky my brother and I were gone). I understand that he has the right to be mad, but to a certain point.

Today my mom called them to see how everything was. The first thing they say is that they are contacting their attorny on monday (great ) Also they say that their main concern is to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else

Ever since they have moved here its been all about them. They own 3 houses on my street and want to knock them all down and build new ones. And they let their kids (and their dog) do whatever they want.. I don't think anyone here likes them.

I think that they need to take some responsibility for what happened. It's not like we are running a daycare. It pisses me off that he thinks its all my mom's fault, and that its ok for his kids to do whatever they want.

I don't think we will be in too much legal trouble since it happened on our property, but I don't have a law degree. Maybe someone can help me out.

Anyways thanks. I needed to do that.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: OT. need to vent

Quote:
While they were playing in the yard my older dog bit the youngest girl in the face.

Did they come over with out asking or did they have the ok to come? If they just came over and no one knew they were there I dont think you can get in that much trouble. But if your parents LET them come over the kids become their responsibility.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Novice Class

We don't stop them from coming over, but we don't do anything to watch them. My mom did not say to them "yes it is ok to come over." She didn't say a word to anyone until after it happened.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Well the main thing I would always point out is that the children were never welcomed there in the first place. Also that you have asked them repeatedly on several occasions to leave the property.

I have several large dogs and several small children. Its a big responsibility to have animals. But its even a bigger responsibility to have children... I honestly would try to get pictures of their children doing things they shouldn't be unsupervised like you described. Then you can just prove that they are the irresponsible ones in this case.

Thats my advise, I am no law expert but I hate when people try to slap a bad name on an innocent animal. It just makes me sick. I think your dog was doing her job, even if not provoked. I expect my dogs to nip/bite/growl at strangers that are on our land with out us near by. Thats why I have them... for protection and security....

anyway I better stop now before I get carried away
Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casad250F View Post
We don't stop them from coming over, but we don't do anything to watch them. My mom did not say to them "yes it is ok to come over." She didn't say a word to anyone until after it happened.

what business did they have there.... were any of you or your family out there..... why do they play there?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmama View Post
what business did they have there.... were any of you or your family out there..... why do they play there?
We have a big front yard and they like to play baseball or soccer or whatever.

UPDATE: Apparently the girl swung her arms around my dog's neck, which probably provoked her.. I didn't see it so I can't judge. But if I had I probably would have told her that she shouldn't be hanging on dogs that aren't her own.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Expert Class

I know how you feel with the unsupervised kids running around. It's quite an epidemic these days. Hopefully you and your dog will not be held responsible. I do hate to see anyone, deserving or not, get bitten in the face, though.

Maybe the little girl will learn not to hug another dog like that again!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Novice Class

I deffinately do not believe that she deserved it. I'm sad that it happened and I feel bad for the girl. I heard her running around in her back yard today and she seems fine. It just makes me sick that these people don't take any responsibility for it.. maybe now they will wake up.

I go to school with the oldest one and today she was sitting down in the hallway talking to a friend. When I walked by I heard her say "he's the one with the dog who bit my sister" just loud enough so I could hear it. I calmly turned around and kneeled down infront of her and asked her if she had something to say to me. That made her very uncomfortable so I got up and left. I thought that maybe they were realizing how irrational they were being.

Nope. Today my mom called over there again and he brought up an incident like this that happened here a while ago. He said that the owners dealt with it by "just putting her down." HA! we are very good friends with the family who owns that dog and my mom walks our dogs with theirs every morning. When she told him that he got defensive and said they must have had a miscommunication.

Good news though. I stopped by my dad's today and took my dog for a walk. She's still the same happy dog
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
ATM! Pro Class

You should be getting all the proof you can of that the little girl. Like she is fine and out side playing...

you never know what freaks will try to pull later on.

It cant hurt to have proof that there is nothing wrong with her.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
ATM! Pro Class

You're still in school?

What part of Washington do you live in?

Sorry for jacking your thread.

I do think that it sucks that the little girl got bit in the face, but it just goes to show you, that the little girls parents aren't good people and dont take responsibility for their children.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Novice Class

I go to Auburn Riverside, tomorrow is our last day. It feels like we are the only district in the nation that is still in school.

Mxmama, I'm positive that they will try to pull something, I'm investing in a tape recorder tomorrow.

Quote:
Its a big responsibility to have animals. But its even a bigger responsibility to have children...
Thanks for that quote mxmama, I used it today and I think it really pissed him off coming from someone half his age.

I want to put up a fence between our properties with a sign that says "Dogs have invisible fence. Fence is for neighbors." I hope they move soon.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion