All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Beginner Class

Default Options for lowering a full-size bike.

After going 15+ years without riding a dirt bike, I've decided it's time to get back on some trails. Part of the reason I haven't ridden is because I injured my back on a street bike 12 years ago, and I sustained some damage to my spinal cord. I now have limited use of my legs. So, getting back on a bike has been an interesting endeavor. I don't have use of my ankles, so I outfitted my bike with an electric shifter. While on the bike, I pretty much have to be flat-footed on the ground, and I'm pretty unstable if my knees are locked. So, being only 5'7", there's no way I can sit on a full-size bike.

Anyway, I've been trying to find posts related to lowering bikes, and most suggest removing a little seat foam and/or using aftermarket parts in the suspension linkage. Right now, I have a KX100. It feels a bit "cramped" while I'm sitting down, and it feels even smaller when I stand up. I've been wondering if I could put smaller wheels on a full-size bike. I have an extra set of wheels for the 100, and I've been keeping an eye out for a KDX200. I'm wondering if using smaller wheels and lowering links would be a good option or if it might make the frame too low to the ground. Has anyone tried putting smaller wheels on a bike? If so, what were the results? Pros and cons? A couple weeks ago, I rode the 100 through some trails in northern Michigan. I had a blast. Thank you for any advice you're able to offer!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Hey!! Great to hear your back on two wheels....

Some of the suggestions are good. However my only concern is that you won't be able to find the lowering linkage for your bike (??) you'll have to see what is available.....from what I can tell you want a full size bike but just want it lower to the ground. If height is the only issue maybe you could get a bike that comes with small wheels already.....
The only real issue I see with smaller wheels are:
Axle Size
Rear sprocket alinement
Brake alinement
Spacer could be used to centre the smaller hubs....
If I were you I'd look at lowering links, shaving seat foam and maybe seeing if the sag ( if set-able )can be a little lower...
Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Beginner Class

Good points. I was wondering if I might encounter spacing issues with smaller wheels. I have machine tools that would allow me to make spacers and modifications, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good idea. The current (stock) seat height of the 100 is about all the higher I'd really want to go. So, I'd have to bring a full-size bike down to that level. I'll probably try to go look at a couple and stand next to them to see if it looks like I could get anywhere close. It would be nice to have the room on a bigger bike, but I also don't want to end up with a lowrider. The other concerns are being able to kickstart and pick the bike up from it's side. I can manage both on the 100, but my legs may not have the horsepower for something bigger.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Intermediate Class

Depending on the limitations you have , you might consider a Honda 250X , it has E-Start , so that would be a plus , and as with any bike you could get the suspension professionally lowered with internal spacers/limiters , it would be heavier than what you have , but is a full size bike , or a KTM 150XC*2 stroke* , very light , and again you can get the suspension professionally internally lowered and its a full size bike , you could also get a machinist to lower/modify your subframe to get you closer to the ground without affecting the suspension though there is a limit to how low because of muffler attachments and airbox needs , or do it along with altering the suspension , KTM now has a 200cc 2 stroke trail bike with a E-Start as well , lots of options or combinations of options , mainly depending on budget and what your looking to get out of it for use or riding specifics needs , to make it worthwhile doing
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Beginner Class

A bike with e-start would be great. However, those bikes are usually a bit on the heavier side of the spectrum. Also, I have a bevvy of machine tools and fabrication equipment. So, I could made frame modifications if need be. However, I would rather not make any PERMANENT changes if I can avoid it. I could machine lowering links quite easily. So, I may just try that route if it comes down to it. I can also measure the hub width on the 100 and compare it to that of a full-size bike. I should probably spend a little more time on the 100 before I make a decision either way. Thank you for the advice and suggestions!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Intermediate Class

Please remember that the factories , and aftermarket companies spend hours and hours on testing and research and knowing the bike geometry when making links , so as to not screw up the geometry and balance of the bike, which can not only lead to ill handling , but even serious injury or worse , if you dont know how the suspension works as a unit if making parts for a particular bike , your asking for issues

If you want to cut down (or get a used subframe off Ebay and alter it) the subframe to get your butt closer to the ground without altering the suspension , this is what riders like Ryan Villapoto and Ricky Carmichael had done so they were comfortable on their bikes , since they are both on the short side , so you might consider this as your focus

Lowering the subframe can be done by cutting at the weld where the mounting eyelets are , and shortening the tube (this is the simple explanation) and bringing the subframe down , though you can only go so far before the seat will not match up to the tank mount , and you will have to modify the muffler mounting , as well as modify the airbox
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Beginner Class

I am 5'9" with short legs, I have a CRF250R which i use for trail riding , way too high for my litle legs .I fitted lowering links to back suspension and shaved the seat and lifted the forks in the clamps also .
It now feels great and the handling is much the same , bear in mind I am not racing anyone just trail riding .
This is all easily reversible .
Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
ATM! Addict

Two things come to mind:
Wheels are easy. you can get someone like Buchanon to lace some smaller rims if it is needed. or they will sell you spokes and you buy some rims and tires.

Honda almost did something for you already: CRF230. It will take the same wheels as the CRF150F will. For that matter you may want to try the 150f first. It has the same frame as the crf230 and is roomy enough for me and i am taller than you. It comes with electric start on the newer models and you can get kits that take it out past 200cc's.

Past the wheels you can have about any suspension shop revalve your suspension and lowere it down to about half travel. If you google DTX racers you probably can find some home brew for that. If you dont mind how your damping comes out, take some forks apart and you will see the easy way. If not email me ATCPumping@aol.com and we can talk about what I have done to lower the single diaghram forked bikes. the shock is pretty easy as well, but again, you change the damping when shorten them up.

We set a kx 100 up for a taller older friend of mine by the way. Lowering the pegs by modifying them was his first step, and some handlebar mounts that were aftermarket gave him a roomier feel too. So if you havent given up on the 100, you may want to play with that a bit.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Pro Class

+1 on the shock lowering modification

Call RaceTech for a quote. They don't list the price for that service as I am sure that it depends on your make and model.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion